Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Quality test on R03 media on nec 2510a

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Quality test on R03 media on nec 2510a

Postby eric93se on Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:59 pm

So it looks like the latest nec firmware (2.16) still doesn't like the quality test, so the test was done using a GCC-4520B.

Note the speed the test was done at. Remember that this media limits the drive to 4X instead of its intended 8X. Very few failures, I guess this is a pretty good result?
Benq DW-1640
ASUS 1608P2 >> Crossflashed to Pioneer 110 -> RAM+Bitsetting+removed riplock+RPC1 :D

Boost Mobile stole my minutes, then would rather loose me as a customer than give back my minutes (thieves).
eric93se
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:05 pm

The NEC firmwares do not support PI/PIF reporting.
We are not even sure if the NEC chipset supports this reporting, NEC has no intention of pursuing this feature and has stated that they have no desire to implement this in the future.

Your scan looks good to me, but keep in mind that PI/PIF scans done on DVD-ROM drives can be VERY unpredictable and produce widely varying results on the same disc, if multiple scans are performed.
With the 2500A, you really don't need to worry since it has excellent write quality on most media!
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby eric93se on Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:24 pm

Wow "widley varying results on the same disc", I'd like to try that on another drive.

Well, since the drive was forced to burn at 4X the quality should be good. I'll check the drive in the future when I'm using media rated at 4X, burned at 8X.

I've tried to over burn, but that was a waste. I'm still very happy with the drive. After I use up all this sucky ridata media and start burning at 8X, It'll be like having a new drive :D
Benq DW-1640
ASUS 1608P2 >> Crossflashed to Pioneer 110 -> RAM+Bitsetting+removed riplock+RPC1 :D

Boost Mobile stole my minutes, then would rather loose me as a customer than give back my minutes (thieves).
eric93se
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers