Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DVD Shrink vs CloneDVD2 vs Recode 2 ?

DVD and Blu-ray Disc authoring, editing, copying and transcoding.

DVD Shrink vs CloneDVD2 vs Recode 2 ?

Postby Infinity on Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:41 pm

I came across this review (which did a nice job comparing different transcoders); however many new versions of each program has come about and I was wondering if anyone nows of a similar, but more up-to-date, review. The main three I am looking at are the ones mentioned above. Basically I would like to get the best quality backup possible within 1hr total rip/encoding time. I've done a few tests with each of the above programs and got the following rip/encode times:

20 min - Clone DVD
37 min - DVD Shrink
70 min - Recode 2 (w/ high quality mode)
120 min - DVD Shrink (w/ AEC mode)

I realize that the best results are probably from DVD Shrink w/AEC - but 2 hrs is too long a time for me to spend encoding a single movie. Recode 2 is only 1 hr, but still a little longer that I'd like to spend per movie.

I'm sure many of you are thinking, well if I've done these tests, why dont I just view the backups and see which looks best? I have. However on my small 27" tv it makes comaring them a little difficult. I figure the bigger the tv, the bigger the flaws would be and hence easier to notice. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone has done similar comparisions of these program (recent versions) who has a bigger television.

Thanks!

PS: I should mention that the backups I'm interested in doing are full-disc backups, not movie only.

EDIT: I just noticed I posted this in the wrong section, would a kind mod be nice enough to move it the correct forum. Thanks!
Infinity
CD-RW Thug

Postby rdgrimes on Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:05 pm

I've done an in-depth comparison of Shrink vs Clone and I found that at 60% compression, Shrink was slightly better. (less pixielization). With the new quality settings, it's even better. If you need to compress a movie to 60% or more, Clone will not do the job very well. For 70% compression or less, there's no difference. So as always, there's a tool for the job at hand, and every tool has it's place.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby Infinity on Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:43 pm

Thanks rdgrimes for the fast reply. Quick question for you, when you did these test were they with the newer versions? I dont think DVD Shrink has changed it's transcoding method since version 3 came out, but wasnt sure about Clone...

As I said before, I've done a few tests and on my small tv I noticed some instances where Shrink showed less pixielization and others where Clone showed less - but it was very hard to compare on my small screen.

I'd love to stick with Shrink, as it has a warm place in my heart. From what I understand the author of Shrink is working for Nero (Recode2); what I dont understand is if this is the case, why does Shrink (w/ AEC) take almost 2hrs to rip/encode, where Recode2 (w/ high quality - equivelant of AEC?) takes HALF the time (1hr)...
Infinity
CD-RW Thug

Postby burninfool on Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:34 pm

I am very impressed with DVDShrink v.3.2.0.15 using AEC.
I would rather wait a little longer for better results and for free I can't complain. :wink:
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Re: DVD Shrink vs CloneDVD2 vs Recode 2 ?

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:25 am

Infinity wrote:EDIT: I just noticed I posted this in the wrong section, would a kind mod be nice enough to move it the correct forum. Thanks!

moved to DVD Authoring forum
dodecahedron
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby rdgrimes on Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:52 am

I compared Shrink 3.1 and CloneDVD2. I use the zoom function on my TV to compare for pixilization.

Yes, Recode is the same engine as Shrink.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby Silentbob343 on Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:16 am

To those who have experinece using AEC in DVD Shrink:

What setting do you use and why, i.e. Sharp, Smooth, etc.?
Silentbob343
CD-RW Player

Postby burninfool on Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:27 pm

Silentbob343 wrote:To those who have experinece using AEC in DVD Shrink:

What setting do you use and why, i.e. Sharp, Smooth, etc.?

I use Max Smooth when I have to compress lower than 70%.
Try it for yourself:
Reauthor and select 1 chapter,then select custom compression and set it as low as it will go,then select AEC,backup.
Make another backup except this time don't use AEC,then play both in PowerDVD or burn on a DVD/RW and watch on your TV.
BTW...you should always use Deep Analysis.

BTW...there's a similar discussion HERE.
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD and Blu-ray Disc Authoring