Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Newb to DVD Burning....need media advise?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Newb to DVD Burning....need media advise?

Postby sephroth777 on Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:54 am

I have just gotten the Pioneer DVR-A08XL which happens to be my first DVD-R drive using Nero 6. My question is which media to purchase such as +R/-R etc. I will be using the drive to make DVD movies and backup data. I will be playing the movies on my DVD player which is a JVC XVN55-SL. Sams Club has Verbatim 8X DVD+R and/or DVD-R 50 spindles for $29.88? Would that media be ok for my needs? Plus do I get the +R or -R standard?

Sorry if this question has been already asked....

Thanks!
sephroth777
Buffer Underrun

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:45 am

Nice DVD Player choice. ;)

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... ght=#91972

As per media, I'd highly recomend TY, I'm about to use them exclusively.

8x DVD+R

8x DVD-R

8x DVD-R White Inkjet Printable

OK, Just saw you had media listed. With the Verbatim's, get the one's made in Singapore if you can, the ones made in Taiwan are only so-so. The one's made in Singapore however are great.

DVD+R or DVD-R? Well, your burner does have a bias for DVD-R, as it writes better to that in most cases. They are essentially the same though. Some DVD Players (pre-historic) may have issues reading DVD+R, but I haven't seen that myself, with the player you have, you won't have any issues with either format.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby hoxlund on Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:51 am

excellent choice on dvd player from me too, own the same one as well as aviationwiz

i would recommend dvd-r media, TY as well if you want to go something little cheaper pick up some prodisc or ritek media
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby sephroth777 on Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:08 am

Thanks for the props guys. Regarding the Verbatim's how do I tell if they are from Singapore? Also, between the DVD+R and -R besides dvd player compatabiltiy, is one better than the other in terms of quality etc? Is there any other difference between the two?

Aviation Wiz....you a pilot? If so, I want to say hi from one pilot to another.
sephroth777
Buffer Underrun

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:14 am

sephroth777 wrote:Regarding the Verbatim's how do I tell if they are from Singapore?

It'll say on the spindle/box in the store. Now, if your getting them online...you never know.

sephroth777 wrote:Also, between the DVD+R and -R besides dvd player compatabiltiy, is one better than the other in terms of quality etc? Is there any other difference between the two?

Compatibility sums it up pretty much, there are technical differences between the 2 and such, but I don't think we need to get into that. There's no quality difference between the 2, although you may find DVD-R works better for you, as Pioneer has a bias for DVD-R.

sephroth777 wrote:Aviation Wiz....you a pilot? If so, I want to say hi from one pilot to another.

No, not yet, but I will hopefully be starting my training soon. :)
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Return to DVD Writers