Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Video Capture Hardware

Video editing, capturing, converting, etc.

Video Capture Hardware

Postby blegs38552 on Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:37 am

I have a need to convert 8 mm and some old VHS tapes to DVD. I would like member's opinions as to the best capture hardware for this purpose. I have seen various video cpature cars, DVD Drives that are designed for this purpose (e.g. HP, Iomega), and devices such as Dazzle that sit between the PC and the source, usually USB connected.

Any help will be appreciate - negative and positive opions will be helpful.
blegs38552
Buffer Underrun

Postby VN Souljah on Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:51 am

I got this one recently but haven't tried it yet:
http://www.averm.co.uk/avermedia/produc ... r_usb.html

I have a Hauppauge TV-card too but those tv-cards doesnt capture in good quality just like svcd quality.
VN Souljah
CD-RW Thug

Postby pchilson on Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:09 am

VN Souljah wrote:I have a Hauppauge TV-card too but those tv-cards doesnt capture in good quality just like svcd quality.

Using the Happauge drivers this is true but if you go here and get these drivers you can get full advantage of the chipset.
pchilson
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:22 am

We have a section of the forum for this kind of stuff. Please use it.

Moving...
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby bill on Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:09 pm

I bought a Canopus ADVC100 from NewEgg a couple of weeks ago. After capturing about 10 hours of VHS and Tivo play back I'm very satisfied. One of the nice features is the audio/video sync lock for those long captures.

The price is a little expensive (about $250.00), but after having previously tried some other capture devices I think the Canopus is worth the extra money. http://www.canopus.com/US/products/advc ... cification

There is also a more expensive model, ADVC300, that is suppose to clean up older VHS video...

Good luck.
bill
CD-RW Supplier

Postby ramlin on Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:51 am

I would second Big Monkey, I have the canopus advc 100 - it is an excellent hardware capture device. I bought mine from amazon (there was a sale at the time and I think I got mine for $200). BTW, canopus have excellent forums regarding their products and many threads regarding recommended software to use (with their products) to capture, encode, author and burn.
I use windows to capture and tmp genc plus to convert the avi to mpeg 2. There is also a cheaper way of doing the capturing (which I haven't tested - has anyone else?) and that is using a camcorder which has dv in and dv out - obviously it is only cheaper if you already have a camcorder.....
"There was never a time when I did not exist, nor you. Nor will there be any future in which we shall cease to be."
ramlin
CD-RW Thug

Return to Video Editing