Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Please help! very strange problem with lg gce-8525b

Burn baby burn!

Please help! very strange problem with lg gce-8525b

Postby nvukelic on Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:37 pm

After a brief period (15 mins) of working properly (after turning on or restarting computer), my cd-rw stops reading cd-s in windows explorer. It shows an empty folder window or asks me to insert a disk. It doesn't even spin the disk. It works good in nero (burning and copying) always! It is connected as secondary master, primary slave is DVD-ROM. OS is Windows XP Pro. No one ever heard for this kind a problem, please help! Anyone!
nvukelic
Buffer Underrun

Postby kotrtim on Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:13 am

It shows an empty folder window or asks me to insert a disk

quite normal, sometimes this heppens

It doesn't even spin the disk

I've never heard of this before, its normal if the CD spins but explorer fail to read.......
CD not spinning , are you sure?
how do you know, some drives are really quiet![/code]

anyway, you can simply unplug you LG and connect it to a system that can read CDs properly to check
if other system can read CDs with the same drive, that means something must be wrong with explorer orr ASPI, SPTI?????? i don't know
then, format and reinstall windows
kotrtim
Buffer Underrun

Postby nvukelic on Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:21 pm

Strange! Situation changed! The problem is in my computer, obviously, because, when I changed drive letters (CD-RW was E:, now is F:. and DVD-ROM was F:, no is E:), DVD-ROM stopped responding! It asks me to insert the disk in the drive (although it is already in) and when I restart the system it turns to normal, but only for a while. The same problem I had with cd-rw when it was E:! What a hell is happening!?
nvukelic
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:41 am

Strange indeed. Would you be against reinstalling Windows? After a fresh copy of Windows is installed, stick with the drive letters that Windows assigns.

As kotrtim asked, did you install any funky ASPI drivers? If so, you might want to revert to the default Windows drivers.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby nvukelic on Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:39 am

Now I changed drive letters to G: and F: (I skiped E: which was problematic) and everything works fine! Can enyone explain this to me?!
nvukelic
Buffer Underrun

Postby MediumRare on Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:51 pm

You may want to check in the drive manager (?? I have a German edition of XP, so I'm not sure what the English name is) to see if the letter E is assigned to another drive or partition.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:24 am

i don't think that's possible.
if E was assigned to something else, he couldn't have assigned it to the CD drive. windows won't let you.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby pranav81 on Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:31 am

dodecahedron is right.If E was assigned to any other drive before,Windows will not allow him to use that letter for any other drive,unless it is made free.

::Pranav::
Increasingly mathematics will demand the courage to face its implications.
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:02 pm

dodecahedron wrote:i don't think that's possible.
if E was assigned to something else, he couldn't have assigned it to the CD drive. windows won't let you.

I suppose this is true for physical drives. But I have managed to assign a drive letter twice:
- assign a letter to a network share
- use the drive manager to assign a different letter to my DVD-drive
The device manager issued a warning, but did use that letter!! Assigning them in the opposite order didn't work. They were both assigned, the network share seemed to have priority (at least in the explorer).

However, the computer rebooted shortly after I did this. I don't really want to repeat this experiment- I'm not sure if the doubly defined drive was the cause either (I interrupted an operation on another optical drive, and that has often caused lockups or other problems in the past).

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives