Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Differences?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Differences?

Postby IsLNdbOi on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:12 pm

I just bought this drive from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDe ... 033&depa=0

Now I read that NEC will enter the US market with this same drive. Will there be any improvements in the US release version of this drive over the one I purchased at Newegg? Also, where is NEC's site for firmware? I would like to update this thing to the latest firmware. Here is my drive's info:

ND-3500AG
Manufacture Date: Aug. 2004
Firmware revision: 2.16

Thanks for any help! :)
IsLNdbOi
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:17 pm

There probably isn't any difference between the OEM and retail versions.. other than better documentation and a manual.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby IsLNdbOi on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:23 pm

So the OEM model I purchased from Newegg is imported? Have you heard if NEC USA is planning on adding any additional features to the official US version of the ND3500A? Thanks! :)
IsLNdbOi
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:48 pm

I'm not sure which distributor Newegg uses, but it's possible they're using one in Asia to bring them over. Nevertheless, the drive is OEM and is supposed to be sold to system builders, etc. A lot of them are sold to end users on the gray market though. Nothing wrong with that.. you just don't get everything you would with a retail drive.

I'm not sure if they're going to do anything special. Personally, I don't think they are. I will be talking to one of the big wigs at NEC some time in the next few weeks. That is a question I can ask them. If you have other questions, let em rip.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby IsLNdbOi on Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:24 am

Ian wrote:I will be talking to one of the big wigs at NEC some time in the next few weeks. That is a question I can ask them.

Thanks Ian! :D
IsLNdbOi
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers