Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Repairing a bad CD-RW Disk

Burn baby burn!

Repairing a bad CD-RW Disk

Postby francoamerican5 on Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:37 am

I got the Sony DRU-700A Dual DVD+-RW DL/CD Burner about a month ago and I have been experiencing difficulties with CD-RWs. I have had to replace one disk because I kept getting a bad CRC error. I was able to copy everything fine to a new cd.
My other CD-RW is a backup CD with about 4 years worth of downloaded programs for my computer. I never thought of backing up the backup. I used to use a LG CD burner & never had problems with drag to disk. (Roxio 7) But with my backup disk, I tried copying a file to the disk, it took way to long to eject... approx 1-2 mins. When re-inserting the disk in I now get a: E:\ Is not accessible. The Disk Structure is corrupted and unreadable.
I ran ScanDisk and it checked the disk & file integrity and told me everything was fine...

My Question is there another way to fix the disk without losing ALL my data? Is there something wrong with the burner? (After the disk messed up, I found a newer firmware for my drive, so maybe that was the problem... I havent tried screwing up another disk yet.) OR is it that I am using Roxio Media 7 instead of the bundled Nero software that came with my Sony?
I would Appreciate your comments & suggestions. Thanks!! :D
Frank
francoamerican5
francoamerican5
Buffer Underrun

Postby texascbx on Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:02 pm

Try CD/DVD Diagnostic.
P-4C 2.4 oc @ 3.1, Abit IS7e
Antec 430 PSU
Maxtor 300 Gig SATA 16MB
2x512 PC-3200 DDR Kingmax
Thermalright XP90, Audigy
Radeon 9800 PRO/Arctic Cooler
BenQ 1640/Liteon SHW-160P6S
texascbx
Buffer Underrun

Postby burninfool on Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:54 pm

Use IsoBuster to extract the data and Nero to burn.
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby francoamerican5 on Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:37 pm

I tried ISOBurner and it gave me back some files. There is a big part that came up as Non-Allocatable Space. Is that unrecoverable? I didnt want to dish out $60 to try CD/DVD Diagnostic. Is there a way to recover this space or am I gonna have to be happy with what I got...?
Frank
francoamerican5
francoamerican5
Buffer Underrun

Postby Han on Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:21 am

Another great recovery tool is BadCopy Pro, but you can't expect miracles. I'd also try to read the 'bad' disc in a different, preferably better reader.
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives