Home News Reviews Forums Shop

latest version of Recode made the compilation too big!

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

latest version of Recode made the compilation too big!

Postby eric93se on Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:58 pm

I was backing up one of my dvd's, using recode, and a second separate step to burn w/nero. The compilation size was about 10-15 MB too big! Nero prompted me to overburn. I already know the 2510a cannot overburn, so I aborted. I'm going to use recode again and turn off the new feature for "slow buring", I hope that was the problem.
Benq DW-1640
ASUS 1608P2 >> Crossflashed to Pioneer 110 -> RAM+Bitsetting+removed riplock+RPC1 :D

Boost Mobile stole my minutes, then would rather loose me as a customer than give back my minutes (thieves).
eric93se
CD-RW Player

Postby eric93se on Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:31 pm

I ran recode again, and same problem. This time I turned off the new feature 'slow burn' or whatever.
Benq DW-1640
ASUS 1608P2 >> Crossflashed to Pioneer 110 -> RAM+Bitsetting+removed riplock+RPC1 :D

Boost Mobile stole my minutes, then would rather loose me as a customer than give back my minutes (thieves).
eric93se
CD-RW Player

Postby eric93se on Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:46 pm

Wow this message board is slow. No one else is having this problem?

So, my solution is to set the dvd size in nero recode, instead letting it fit to dvd5 I set it manually to 4480mb, and it runs fine again.
Benq DW-1640

eric93se
CD-RW Player

Postby Infinity on Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:40 am

I havent had that issue (although I just installed this program for the first time and have only made two backups). Has anyone else gotten this program to not eject the dvdr drive after it is done burning? The box is checked for "Do not eject the disc after encoding/burning is complete" - but it still ejects the disc...
Infinity
CD-RW Thug

Postby Silentbob343 on Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:13 am

How would you compare Nero recode to DVD reshrink?
Silentbob343
CD-RW Player

Postby eric93se on Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:44 pm

I have no experience with dvd reshrink. I had been using Dr. divx pro for a while, then moved onto buring dvd's w/nero. Since I wanted the latest updates for nero I had to buy a copy (on sale with $50 rebate :) ) , and recode came with it, so I stuck with it.

recode is fast and is rediculously easy to use.
Benq DW-1640

eric93se
CD-RW Player

Postby eric93se on Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:48 pm

Infinity wrote:I havent had that issue (although I just installed this program for the first time and have only made two backups). Has anyone else gotten this program to not eject the dvdr drive after it is done burning? The box is checked for "Do not eject the disc after encoding/burning is complete" - but it still ejects the disc...

go into preferences/expert features, the option is there.

I've never experienced that problem.
Benq DW-1640

eric93se
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:09 am

Just thought I'd chime in and say I'm having this problem were it makes the compilation too big. Guess it's back to Custom mode with 4370MB's. That's the max size, right?
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby tazdevl on Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:20 am

eric93se wrote:I have no experience with dvd reshrink. I had been using Dr. divx pro for a while, then moved onto buring dvd's w/nero. Since I wanted the latest updates for nero I had to buy a copy (on sale with $50 rebate :) ) , and recode came with it, so I stuck with it.

recode is fast and is rediculously easy to use.

App is called DVD Shrink. Nero Recode is based on the same application with a different GUI.

Since you have a licensed version, submit a support ticket to ahead.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby thegdog on Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:38 pm

aviationwiz wrote:Just thought I'd chime in and say I'm having this problem were it makes the compilation too big. Guess it's back to Custom mode with 4370MB's. That's the max size, right?

I use 4480 MB for DVD-R media and 4476 MB for DVD+R if I use Custom in either Recode or DVD Shrink and haven't had a problem yet.

I will say that I have Recode output to the HD and then use Nero to burn it as a UDF/ISO disc.
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Postby TCAS on Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:18 am

[I will say that I have Recode output to the HD and then use Nero to burn it as a UDF/ISO disc.[/quote]

I am using the same process, Ripping & Encoding the file with DVD Shrink in my HD and when later I burn the file from HD with Nero Burning Rom in UDF/ISO, the burnt file can't be played in DVD player (stand alone one). If I let DVD Shrink automatically burn the ripped file with Nero I have no problem, only when I try to burn the file later with Nero then problem will surfaced with failing to play it in DVD player.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby thegdog on Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:23 am

TCAS wrote:I am using the same process, Ripping & Encoding the file with DVD Shrink in my HD and when later I burn the file from HD with Nero Burning Rom in UDF/ISO, the burnt file can't be played in DVD player (stand alone one). If I let DVD Shrink automatically burn the ripped file with Nero I have no problem, only when I try to burn the file later with Nero then problem will surfaced with failing to play it in DVD player.

I'm guessing that DVD Shrink burns it as a DVD Video compilation, not a UDF/ISO compilation.

I also check the Xbox compatibility checkbox on the UDF tab as well.

DVD Video also works fine for me, but I find that if the disc is close to being full, or is full, then the burn will fail when closing the disc. But it then works fine in UDF/ISO. Not sure why, but since all my DVD players play the discs fine when burned as a UDF/ISO compilation, that's what I use.
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Postby TCAS on Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:23 am

Thegdog Wrote:
I'm guessing that DVD Shrink burns it as a DVD Video compilation, not a UDF/ISO compilation.

As I stated before, when I let DVD Shrink to burn the "Ripped & Encoded File" immediately after Encoding, then regardless of a burning format the burnt DVD would have no problem to be played in stand alone DVD player, only when later on I go back and try to burn Shrink's encoded file with Nero Burning Rom then with DVD Video format won't burn and with UDF/ISO would burn but will not be playable in player.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby thegdog on Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:50 pm

TCAS wrote:As I stated before, when I let DVD Shrink to burn the "Ripped & Encoded File" immediately after Encoding, then regardless of a burning format the burnt DVD would have no problem to be played in stand alone DVD player, only when later on I go back and try to burn Shrink's encoded file with Nero Burning Rom then with DVD Video format won't burn and with UDF/ISO would burn but will not be playable in player.

Hmm, actually what you said before was:

TCAS wrote:I am using the same process, Ripping & Encoding the file with DVD Shrink in my HD and when later I burn the file from HD with Nero Burning Rom in UDF/ISO, the burnt file can't be played in DVD player (stand alone one). If I let DVD Shrink automatically burn the ripped file with Nero I have no problem, only when I try to burn the file later with Nero then problem will surfaced with failing to play it in DVD player.

You didn't mention anything about DVD-Video.

I have no idea why it doesn't work for you. Seems like some setting is different from when Recode burns the disc to when you burn the disc. Maybe there is some option you're not selecting.

Of course, once Recode burns it to a disc, doesn't it delete the files? How are you able to burn them again without going through the entire process again and choosing to save them to the hard drive?
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Postby TCAS on Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:24 pm

thegdog wrote:
TCAS wrote:As I stated before, when I let DVD Shrink to burn the "Ripped & Encoded File" immediately after Encoding, then regardless of a burning format the burnt DVD would have no problem to be played in stand alone DVD player, only when later on I go back and try to burn Shrink's encoded file with Nero Burning Rom then with DVD Video format won't burn and with UDF/ISO would burn but will not be playable in player.

Hmm, actually what you said before was:

You didn't mention anything about DVD-Video.

I have no idea why it doesn't work for you. Seems like some setting is different from when Recode burns the disc to when you burn the disc. Maybe there is some option you're not selecting.

Of course, once Recode burns it to a disc, doesn't it delete the files? How are you able to burn them again without going through the entire process again and choosing to save them to the hard drive?

I am talking about using DVD Shrink for Ripping & Encoding the DVD Video Disc, when DVD Shrink start Ripping and Encoding the DVD Video first Shrink would ask you where do you want to put the ripped and encoded file and you must choose assigned directory in your hard drive for the Shrink to put the ripped and encoded file there then after the process of ripping and encoding is over shrink automatically burn this ripped file with Nero. So far is ok then if later you go ahead and try to burn the same ripped and encoded file with Nero Burning Rom in DVD Video format, the burning button is grayed out, if you burn it in UDF/ISO format then the burn file won't play in stand alone DVD. Why I don’t know?
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby dome on Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:37 pm

the problem of producing files that are too big to burn to DVD has been a problem with Nero for at least ten months now and they still seem to be incapable of doing anything about it.
the trouble started with Vision Express which would constantly produce files of 4.44GB when asked to produce 4.36GB and has now infected Nero Recode as well.
despite their full page propoganda boasting about how much better Recode is than Clone DVD, they fail to recognise 1 crucial point.... in about 20 % of movies (usually those longer than 2 hours) it regularly finishes with file sizes of over 4.40GB even when you select high quality and two pass mode.
I have written three emails to their support team this year pointing out these errors and giving them the statistics and logs and they always reply "thank you very much, we will take it into account for the next release"
However, nothing changes and their Recode program is a joke at the moment and not worth bothering with when there are so many alternatives around that never fail to reach target size(clone dvd etc).
Shame on you Nero !!
It would be interesting to note if any users have had problems of this type with DVD Shrink, the freeware program, seeing as the program writer is the same person who writes recode for Nero.
dome
Buffer Underrun

Postby TCAS on Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:58 am

dome wrote;

It would be interesting to note if any users have had problems of this type with DVD Shrink, the freeware program, seeing as the program writer is the same person who writes recode for Nero.

The problem is not with DVD Shrink, is with Nero, because Nero won't burn (in DVD Video Format) a ripped & encoded file which has been saved in harddrive directory. The same file can be burnt by Nero in UDF/ISO format but won't play in stand alone DVD player.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby dome on Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:04 am

have you considered that maybe it's your dvd player that is at fault ? I have burned dvds in udf/iso and dvd-video (which Nero does support by the way) and they play fine in both my stand alone dvd players. I just think you haven't found the option yet, it is kind of "hidden away" under "photo and video" and when found, you then have to put all your files inside the VIDEO_TS template that appears in the main window.

anyway, that's a totally different problem from what we are discussing in here.
dome
Buffer Underrun

Postby TCAS on Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:16 am

dome wrote:have you considered that maybe it's your dvd player that is at fault ? I have burned dvds in udf/iso and dvd-video (which Nero does support by the way) and they play fine in both my stand alone dvd players. I just think you haven't found the option yet, it is kind of "hidden away" under "photo and video" and when found, you then have to put all your files inside the VIDEO_TS template that appears in the main window.

anyway, that's a totally different problem from what we are discussing in here.

I have tried the same procedure with another dvd player and different dvd writer with same result.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby dome on Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:39 am

well fair enough, then it's probably a result of the dvd-r media being incompatible with you r player, what i'm trying to say is it's not Nero...i have 50,000 members on my forum and the majority use Nero to burn their dvds to watch on stand alone players including myself.
dome
Buffer Underrun

Postby Gekko on Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:59 am

I have the same problem here with the latest Recode release (2.1.2.20). Trying the "Recode main movie" option with "Advanced analysis" and "High quality mode" settings. The resulting compilation is too big for burning on a DVD-R. Tried using manual size as suggested above. Set manual size to 4480MB, but the resulting files were 4518MB.
The movie is 3 hours long, so that complies with statements above regarding problems with >2 hour movies.... :^o
Gekko
Buffer Underrun

Postby eric93se on Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:11 pm

Wow I can't believe this thread is still alive =D>

Currently running the beta release of recode, the one that has'nt been officially released yet, and recode will still make the compilation too big. My current work around is to run recode a second time, by selecting the option to use the same project a second time (after it already finished and asks if you want to exit), then when I'm at that screen I use the back arrow where I can immediatly tell that the compilation is too big, then I unselect an audio file, then reselect it again, so that recode can recalculate the size, then I continue with the second burn (of course after deleting the old set of files recode generated). Doing it this way skips the advanced analysis step since recode already completed it. Usually recode gets it right the second time. :)
Benq DW-1640

eric93se
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)