SAY IT TO THE MANUFACTURERS - II

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

SAY IT TO THE MANUFACTURERS - II

Postby Rich on Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:45 pm

Now for my next idea.

HEY SOMEBODY STICK A SOCK IN MY MOUTH!! :lol:

Ok, now for the next idea.

GET RID OF ROUND MEDIA.

In Rich's drive of the future there is no media movement.

It is square, 3.5", 20 layers, huge capacity

The motor will be replaced by a motor just like a scanner motor in a HP 2P (and dozens of other models) laser printer.

The scanner motor is the thing you always heard whinning up when an HP would warm up.

The scanner motor will do the rows and a mirror on a pivot will change to the next row.

The scanner motor will suffer no media wobble. It will last years. The mirror that does the 2nd and last part of the laser placement would move with the ease of hard disk heads.

The only thing that I don't know about is focus.

Is it necessary to focus it right at the surface of the media? Or can it be focused at the laser lense and then beamed a couple inches?

Also the mirror would have to be of special quality to take the wear of the laser.

Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Burning-burning-burning Rawhide!
Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby notes on Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:51 pm

Hi Rich,

I'm thinking that if it was easy to do 20 layers, they'd have done it on DVDs already, no?

Perhaps at 3.5" they could make the head stationairy and simply deflect the beam..?

Good idea.. smaller size, I think.. but.. probably (?) media positioning might become a problem if the density gets much higher.. Well, we already have the 2Gig CF and stuff like that.. If we get to the molecular size, we could probably fit 100Gigs in a CF package.. maybe more..? Hmm.. well..

Cheers

- N
Group: Second Life Slackers
Charter: Um, we need a Charter?
notes
Buffer Underrun

Postby Wesociety on Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:58 pm

Hey Rich, how about,
SAY IT TO THE PSYCHIATRIST? :lol:
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby notes on Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:54 pm

wesociety wrote:Hey Rich, how about,

Ok.. that made me laugh. ;)

Cheers

- Notes
notes
Buffer Underrun

Postby Rich on Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:08 pm

wesociety wrote:Hey Rich, how about,

=D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol:
:lol: Now Wesley ...... go to your room and quit chewing on your CD's!! =D>
=D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol: =D> :lol:
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby Rich on Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:13 pm

notes wrote:Perhaps at 3.5" they could make the head stationairy and simply deflect the beam..?

Hi Notes,

I just looked and I did not say it but I do envision the head being stationary but for a focusing mechanism.

Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby notes on Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:40 pm

Rich wrote:
I just looked and I did not say it but I do envision the head being stationary but for a focusing mechanism.

Rich

If the head is stationary, then what's the motor for..? I think moving the media back and forth wouldn't be that good, you'd be better off with the old circle media..

Or you could go the mechanical route, like IBM's 'Millipede' - wich could theoretically store 3 Gigabits in a space the size of "one hole in a standard punch card" - but again, I think they're thinking of putting it in a package a la "chip" or something like CF or SD/MMC or whatever.. (if they ever actually use the technology)

http://www.research.ibm.com/resources/news/20020611_millipede.shtml

Cheers
notes
Buffer Underrun

Postby Rich on Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:12 am

notes wrote:
Rich wrote:

Rich

If the head is stationary, then what's the motor for..? I think moving the media back and forth wouldn't be that good, you'd be better off with the old circle media..

Hi,

On the end of the scanner motor's shaft is a chunck of metal on it which is (vaugely) like 3/8" thick ; about 1.5" long ; and oh, about 3/4" wide. On the faces, 3/8" by 1.5" they are flat and reflective. As the Laser points at these surfaces the motor spins and this rotates at great speed. The beam bounces off of the flat surface of this 'head' and is pointed at the drum (which the laser charges electrically) according to the position (angle) of rotation. Each pass of one side does one dot all the way accross the drum.

Later at work I'll try to find a pic online of one and get it on here.

The Media would be stationary. The laser would be stationary. Only the rotation of the scanner motor and an independant mirror would move.

Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers