Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Invalid Serial Number after installing Nero 6.6 ?!!?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Invalid Serial Number after installing Nero 6.6 ?!!?

Postby Sgt.Torg on Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:12 am

I just did a clean install of Nero 6.6.0.1 after uninstalling (Add/Remove Programs) and running Ahead's General Clean Tool.

Nero 6.6.0.1 will not accept my Nero 6 Ultra serial number (full retail version, not OEM) which I purchased in August :x

What's going on? I removed the new version (again using the General Clean Tool) and installed previous version 6.3.1.25. This version accepts my serial number :) If I install 6.6.0.1 over top of 6.3.1.25, my serial number is again rejected :evil: Exact same thing happens with new NeroVision Express.

Isn't Nero 6.6 a free upgrade for Nero 6 users? What's going on? I'm seriously unimpressed here. Nero is staying off my system until this get sorted :evil:

Running WinXP w/SP2.
Sgt.Torg
Sgt.Torg
Buffer Underrun

Same problem here

Postby SA on Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:17 am

I have the same problem. I upgrade from 6.3 and got the error, then I uninstalled and did a clean 6.6 install and got the same thing. Luckily, I still have my email from ahead with my purchase info as proof of a legit license.

I emailed tech support, but no reply yet. I also PM'd the Nero/Ahead guy that dwells on the cdrlabs forum as well. I expect we'll have an answer soon, but your are not alone.
Intel P4, 2.4Ghz
MSI NE0 865PE
1GB RAM
Memorex 52X CD-RW
NEC 3500A DVD-RW
Hitachi 160GB SATA
Maxtor 80GB in USB enclosure
ATI 9600 AIW
SA
Buffer Underrun

Postby agomes on Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:02 pm

I read similar reports on another forum. For the mom I've been unable to download it. But, before I got the same probs, may I ask if someone has had a successful install (update from 6.x) and acceptance of the serial number, please?
agomes
agomes
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:14 pm

Old Nero 6 serial keys are still good. However, there is always the chance someone else registered your serial key and whenever we have two people with the same serial key, we mark it as blacklisted so that it no longer works in the next release of our software.

The only way to address this is to contact our support team directly, and provide a proof of purchase so that we can then confirm the purchase an issue you a new Serial key.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Nero 6.6 problems

Postby Opium on Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:34 pm

Hello to all reading this forum, this is my first post.

I´ve downloded Nero 6.6 today, uninstalled the older version and after installed this one I start the program and the following message appears:

"Nero has detected an attempt at non licensed usage".

And it doesn´t allow me to continue, btw during instalation it didn´t appeared a box to insert the serial number.

Anyone having the same problem?

Cumps.
Opium
Buffer Underrun

Postby HardwareHarry on Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:49 pm

Yeah, it's called an update...
You always better update/install over your existing NERO !
With my Update of 6.6 all going well, now I'm testing.

But if someone stole your KEY to the Nero-package, then like Graig writes, you're become blacklisted and follows his words to go contact NERO.
HardwareHarry
CD-RW Player

Postby Sgt.Torg on Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:07 pm

I disagree. If you contact Ahead tech support with any problem, they will always instruct you to uninstall and run their "General Clean Tool", then perform a clean installation of the latest version. This is exactly what I did for version 6.6.

I've never given my Nero serial number to anyone. Ever. How could someone register with my key??? I've been using Nero since version 5 (1999-ish) and never had a problem with the serial number until now. Something's fishy :-?

Anyway, I've contacted Ahead tech support and am awaiting a reply.
Sgt.Torg
Sgt.Torg
Buffer Underrun

:)

Postby Opium on Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:23 pm

Well fishy or not Sgt. Torg it seeamed to work what you´ve said HardwareHarry, installed one over the other and it worked.

Tks a lot for the help.

Cumps.
Opium
Buffer Underrun

Postby HardwareHarry on Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:55 pm

I'm happy for you too Opium.

I hoped it did help Srt.Torg too, but kept the possability open for an error at Ahead's KEY number registration, where people work...

I was ready with downloading the dutch language files now, because in the night the FTP-servers are less bizzy than in the evening.
HardwareHarry
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:53 pm

CCampbell wrote:Old Nero 6 serial keys are still good. However, there is always the chance someone else registered your serial key and whenever we have two people with the same serial key, we mark it as blacklisted so that it no longer works in the next release of our software.

can you please clarify what you mean by "someone registered your serial key" ?
registered how? on Ahead's website (registration form of some kind)?
or just entered it into the program?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby CCampbell on Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:24 pm

Hello everyone,

Looks like this is a bug in our Nero 6.6 software. This is being worked on now, and before long we will have a new version posted to resolve this issue.

In the meantime, we do have the list of serial keys that are valid, but will be reported as Invalid by our Nero 6.6 software, and our Tech's have been made aware of this issue.

If you encounter this problem, send an Email to Techsupport@nero.com and provide your Name, Email address, and Serial key. They will confirm its valid and on the list, and respond back with a new Nero 6.6 Serial key.

We have a 5 working day response time, but you will be able to use Nero 6.6 in Demo mode till you get a response from our Tech Support team.

Sorry for the trouble.

Regards,
Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby Sgt.Torg on Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:58 pm

Glad to see this has been verified as a bug.

Thanks for the update, Craig.
Sgt.Torg
Sgt.Torg
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:09 pm

Craig, would you please clarify the issues i raised in the questions in my last post here ?

what you mean by "someone registered your serial key" ?
registered how? on Ahead's website (registration form of some kind)?
or just entered it into the program?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby RJB on Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:37 pm

Same thing happend to me. After I updated to Nero 6.6 my serial number was not valid. I contacted Nero through their US Sales email link on their website.
I explained the problem I was having. I also attached screen shots of the error messages I was receiving from entering my issued serial number. I also attached an email copy of my original Nero invoice with order number.

It took Nero less than 24 hours to resolve the problem.

Nero has since sent me a new serial number for Nero 6 Ultra edition, with their apologies. Everything is working fine now.

Good Luck
RJB
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:43 pm

Hi Dodecahedron,

Any version purchased via our Nero WebSite is automatically registered. For those who purchase Nero in the Retail Store, or bundled with a Recorder, they would need to send an Email to our sales team requesting to register their product. This is how our database is created.

If two users register the same Serial key, it then becomes 'Black Listed' in all future version releases of Nero.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby RJB on Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:26 pm

I purchased my version via the nero web site, I had problems with my serial number, I had to contact Nero and get a new number.
Somebody must have duplicated my serial number, rendering mine useless.

This is why it is a good practice to save all email coorespondence when ever you buy anything online. You never know when you are going to have to prove you bought something.
RJB
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:04 pm

CCampbell wrote:Hi Dodecahedron,

Any version purchased via our Nero WebSite is automatically registered. For those who purchase Nero in the Retail Store, or bundled with a Recorder, they would need to send an Email to our sales team requesting to register their product. This is how our database is created.

If two users register the same Serial key, it then becomes 'Black Listed' in all future version releases of Nero.

thanks for the clarification, but i still have a few questions.

1. it appears as if you (ahead) keeps a database of the serial numbers. registered ones at least. well, on the website it's stated (if i'm not mistaken) that if i lose my serial number that's it, i can't get it back from ahead.

2. my serial number is registered, as i bought it from Ahead's website. supposing someone steals my serial number (not an impossible scenario), i would assume they weren't stupid enough to "register" it with Ahead (by email as you explain).

3. my main concern was: is the serial number "registered", or automatically directly transmitted to ahead, when someone enters it into Nero? if that is indeed so, then if anyone steals my number and uses it, i autmoatically get screwed.
if the serial number is indeed automatically transmitted by the Nero software to Ahead, i would consider this a serious breach of privacy.
is this the case?

4. what is the point of registering the serial number with ahead? what benefits are there to registring?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cageymaru on Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:07 am

I got an automated email back saying that my message had been forwarded to Ahead's techsupport. Hopefully this won't take 5 days...

Kelly
cageymaru
Buffer Underrun

Postby HardwareHarry on Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:06 pm

That's a good formed question Dodecahedron...

It seems like when someone purchased it on-line and register (and like most of the users keep their e-mail corresponds saved/printed) have more
secure and faster registering, than Retail or OEM-packages in the shops.

But I like the completion answer of Craig to all the users with this reg-ERROR satisfying, indeed a bug in 6601, a relief for the users here with this key-problem, this will be solved.

Good point for this FORUM to come hear and read/write expierences!

a plus for the CDRLab team and Craig, Harry
HardwareHarry
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:12 pm

Yes, if you lost your serial key, you can not get it back. Unless....

1) Your serial key is registered. In which case we can look into our database, confirm your Name; address, etc to be sure you are you. And then we'll give you your serial key from our database.

2) You have a proof of purchase as in a receipt or credit card billing statement. IF you provide a proof of purchase, we'll issue you a new Serial Key

If you can not meet either of the above two conditions, then your only choice is to purchase the software again.

And no, the serial key is not registered automatically by our software. But if you purchase an Encoder from us, we will register your serial key and personal information. This is one way the serial key is registered by somone who may have stole a serial key. And a person could purchase a version of Nero from Ebay and the serial key that came with the disc is stolen and they have no clue when the go to Register, etc.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby androu on Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:21 pm

OK! so if sb still wants it.. send me a pm..
androu
Buffer Underrun

Postby ruderacer on Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:26 pm

I too have some questions. I ordered my serial key from the website and received my email with it and also printed the receipt for my records. I went and downloaded the trial version (the one with four parts Nero Reloaded) and installed it and entered my serial key. When I use Nero StartSmart, I get a message saying that my trial version will expire on 11/30/04. When access Nero Media Player, it has a placce for the serial number, but it will only allow you depress Demo. Am I not suppose to have access to Nero Media Player? I have requested techsupport, but I am still waiting for an answer.

When I first downloaded the Trial program, as per instructions from Nero, I had some issues burning some DVDs. So I went back to the site and downloaded the Clean Utilities and downloaded the Nero Reloaded. Now, I want know what I stated above. Has anyone experienced the above or any insight would be great. Thanks.
ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:18 pm

Hi Ruderacer,

Yes, I have seen this. In most cases the serial key simply did not register properly. In 90% of the cases I've seen this in, the quick solution is to simply launch the Nero StartSmart, and go to the Nero Product Center by clicking on the NERO button in the top left of the window. Then click on the Serial Numbers Tab and delete the serial key you have entered.

Then click on the Enter New button and re-enter your Nero 6 serial key. And this will normally resolve your issue.

As for Nero Media Player, it depends on where you are located. In the US/Canada/and Mexico locals, we offer the NeroMix program for the Retail bundle. This is like Nero Media Player, but with a lot more abilities, such as recording, extracting audio, etc...

For the rest of the World, we offer the Nero Media Player in place of NeroMix.

Please don't ask me why, as it's a Sales Issue. #-o

So if you are in the US/Canada/Mexico, and you download Nero Media Player, it will ask you for a serial key as you are not entitled to it. You need to download and install NeroMix instead.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby ruderacer on Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:25 pm

Craig, thank you for taking the time to answer so quickly, I greatly appreciated. I will follow your instructions to correct this issue. I do live in the States and will load NeroMix. Once again, thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,

Rudy
ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby ruderacer on Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:20 pm

Craig,

I just applied what you instructed and it worked. Once again, thanks.
ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Next

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)