Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Verbatim 8x -/+ R's at Sam's Club

Got a hot deal you want to share? Need one?

Verbatim 8x -/+ R's at Sam's Club

Postby Rich on Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:54 am

I just purchased a membership to Sam's Club today. Two weeks ago I went into a Walmart for the very first time. Big place.

Anyways, in the Sam's Club today I saw Verbatim 8X -R's and +R's.

The -R's were 59 bucks and the +R's were 61 buckazoids.

That's for a 100 pack made in Taiwan.

I bought me an 8lb Pit Smoked (with hickory) fully cooked BBQ Beef Brisket and I just had 3 big sandwiches of it.

It is now time for one very serious nap.

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

WhoooooooWaaaaa!

Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Burning-burning-burning Rawhide!
Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby ruderacer on Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:33 pm

Send one this way. I'll take extra BBQ sauce.

Have you burned anything yet? Any info on disc manufacturer? Thanks.
ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby Rich on Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:08 pm

ruderacer wrote:Have you burned anything yet? Any info on disc manufacturer? Thanks.

It's depressing finding good media for this thing. I went back on Thursday and bought the Verbatim DVD+R's 8x and got home to find it was not on the Plextor's PX712-A's recommended media list. The 4X +R/-R's were on the list. The 8X -R's were on the list, ...... but the 8X +R's that I bought were NOT on the list.

I emailed Plextor to see if it was a typo but nope, they replied:

The 4x verbatim and the 8x verbatim are made by different companies. The 8x did not test as well and therefore are not listed as recommended.

~~Plextor Technical Support

::Sigh::

Strangly, however after failing the FE/TE test in Plextools, it looked super in the Beta and Jitter test and I 'think' ok in the PIE/POF test.

Still, not being on the recomended media list I may end up taking it back.

Wow, so far the only tests I've done that were like this drive should be like was with Taiyo Yuden.

But, .... that beef brisket is really-really cool!

Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:18 pm

It's really hard to get Verbatim 8x DVD+Rs made by MCC. I've got lot's of Verbatim 8x DVD-Rs made by MCC though!
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby ruderacer on Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:33 pm

A couple of months ago I bought at Office Depot two spindles of Verbatim 1x-4x Media and they are the ones by MCC (Mitsubishi Chemical Corp). They worked well with my Litey 851SX. I bought one and the other was free. Not too bad of a deal.

I'm going to BB to see if I find 8x Fuji made in Japan (as I heard they were pretty good). Last time they had some but did not buy any. When I went back they had run out. The only ones they had were made in Taiwan, probably CMC.
ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby Rich on Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:28 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:It's really hard to get Verbatim 8x DVD+Rs made by MCC. I've got lot's of Verbatim 8x DVD-Rs made by MCC though!

That's what these were: MCC.

I took those back to Sam's Club a couple hours and got the -R's.

The FE/TE looks clearly better on the Plextor Approved -R 8X's (Verbatim) but the Beta and Jitter were clearly better on the +R's.

Right now I'm doing the PIE/POF and will see what that looks like.

Actually at the one gig line it seems the same as the +R

Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:41 pm

Rich, just because it SAYS MCC in the disc code, does NOT mean it is actually made by MCC. It only means that it's licensed by MCC, or that someone stole the code.

Were the discs made in Singapore? or Taiwan? (or elsewhere).
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Rich on Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:11 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:Rich, just because it SAYS MCC in the disc code, does NOT mean it is actually made by MCC. It only means that it's licensed by MCC, or that someone stole the code.

Were the discs made in Singapore? or Taiwan? (or elsewhere).

Hi, sorry for the delay, I must have missed the note in my email or something.

They are made in Taiwan.

The PIE/POF tests were similar to the +R's.

Finally for reference I tested a Taiyo Yuden 8x with about 4.2 gigs on it and it tested beautiful; better than the Verbatim +R's on Jitter and hardly any different on Beta. That Verbatim's +R' Beta was darn near perfect, but the Jitter was a little better on the Taiyo Yuden. It started low enough and then it slowly and smoothly tapered downward as it moved to the right.

So, in the next 3-4 days I'll return the Verbatim 8x -R's and just burn the Taiyo. The prices are already dropping and by the time I get through the aprox. 80 slices I have of the Taiyo I'll be able to get more 'cheap'.

One thing I find to be very special. It is turning over a Taiyo Yuden blank and looking at the bottom. Compared even to the Verbatim, the Taiyo is just perfectly unblemished.

Have a great weekend; and Trick or Treat!

Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:18 pm

Sounds like the Verbatim's were made by CMC... although it's possible that they were made by Prodisc as well. I don't know any way of telling the difference between Prodisc made MCC code, and CMC made MCC code yet :(

I'm glad you find the Taiyo Yuden media much better! :D

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:12 pm

With some drives, I've found that the "Made in Taiwan" MCC's give better results than the others.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Gen-An on Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:04 pm

Rich wrote:
ruderacer wrote:Have you burned anything yet? Any info on disc manufacturer? Thanks.

It's depressing finding good media for this thing. I went back on Thursday and bought the Verbatim DVD+R's 8x and got home to find it was not on the Plextor's PX712-A's recommended media list. The 4X +R/-R's were on the list. The 8X -R's were on the list, ...... but the 8X +R's that I bought were NOT on the list.
Rich

There are two listings for 8x Verbatim +R on Plextor's recommended list (on the US site anyway), one is for the older revision that burned at 8x max, while the newer revision that burns at 12x max is listed as recommended, though I haven't gotten good results burning them at 12x on my 712A. As for the 8x -Rs, I got a spindle from BestBuy a couple of days ago and my 712A BUTCHERED them at 8x. I'm talking PIE levels up near 800 :o
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby Rich on Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:40 am

Yup, on likely Tuesday I'll return the -R's. I just counted and I have 81 TY-9x ... (Just kidding 8x)... +R blanks left and at Rima they now have 8x +R's for .58 a slice!

Poop on Verbatim, I'll just burn these and get me some more.

I just wish I could get my interface to give me 12x or even 8x.

I have a
Toshiba 1415-s115 laptop with
2ghz
512 mem
60 gig hitachi 7200 rpm 8megbuffer Hard disk

Combo Compusa fire/usb2 cardbus adapter
Plex 712a inside a
MicroPlus fire/usb2 enclosure

and I can only get like 7.8x tops with the buffer going wild. So I throttle it down to 6x burns which works like silk.

One of these days I'll find one of those oh-so-well hidden little check boxes and this thing will cook.

:P

Later, Rich
For Me to POOP-ON!

Rich
CD-RW Player

Return to Hot Deals