Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Upgrade to Nero 6.6 worth it?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Upgrade to Nero 6.6 worth it?

Postby Anthony T. Riordan on Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:21 pm

Been a long time user of Nero that came with various CD-RW units I have bought over the years.
Last was using 5.5.10.56 or whatver the last update was.
The OEM version was tied to my burner and my new burner with the new system I built has Nero Express.
I liked the full version of Nero Burning ROM.
Here are a couple questions:

1) I see I can upgrade for 49$. Can I do this without installing Nero Expres on my new machine?
2) Is it worth it? It looks like the software now has everything but the kitchen sink in it. Does it cause System/OS issues?
3) I also have a copy of Roxio 6 that came with my Memerox DVD burner. How do they compare? My main concern is making DVD video backups which went very smooth in Nero 5.5.10.56. Does Roxio create backup DVD videos if you have all of the necessary files for compliation from a DVD ripping program?

Thanks!
Anthony T. Riordan
Buffer Underrun

Postby eric93se on Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:50 pm

1- You can wait till it goes on sale. I bought nero 6 with a $50 rebate, for the retail boxed version, final cost after shipping was $27.

2- Yes, I'd say its worth it. My burn quality only increases as the software is improved. This last update has definitly improved my TY02 burn quality. Personally I have never had any OS issues, I'm running XP. Fully uninstalling Roxio may require editing the registry, unless roxio has improved its uninstaller.

3- No comment :D
Benq DW-1640
ASUS 1608P2 >> Crossflashed to Pioneer 110 -> RAM+Bitsetting+removed riplock+RPC1 :D

Boost Mobile stole my minutes, then would rather loose me as a customer than give back my minutes (thieves).
eric93se
CD-RW Player

Postby Anthony T. Riordan on Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:34 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't installed Roxio yet on this machine.
I gave up on them a few versions ago after their software became bloated as he!! and it was impossible to really uninstall cleanly.
Roxio 6 had great reviews, I tried it again, and I did not have any real issue with it- just didn't use it while I had Nero 5.5.XX installed.

I also was hesitant to go to version 6 of Nero as it had terrible comments when it first came out. I am guessing after a year that it is improved.

I basically only want one CD/DVD burning app installed and I want to it simply work without clogging the OS, or with any ongoing bugs. I don;t need the multimedia add ons that these things all come with anymore.
I have dedicated prosumer and pro level aduio and video editing and program apps.

ANy other thoughts are welcome-I have a nice new WIn XP SP2 install and want to keep it relatively crap free. I actually would buy a Nero 5.5.X.X copy if they still existed. It was a reliable and clean piece of software.
Anthony T. Riordan
Buffer Underrun

Postby Anthony T. Riordan on Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:49 pm

Found a new in the box retail copy of Nero 5.5 for 8 bucks.
I know this works great with all of my apps and burners so will use this for now.
Anthony T. Riordan
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:03 pm

1. Nero Express and the full Nero are the same software. when you install Nero (the full version) you have both, you can switch between the two. so if you buy an upgrade you'll have the full Nero, but you can always use the Express to if you like.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)