Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Want to transfer VHS tapes to DVD - Having Issues Still

Video editing, capturing, converting, etc.

Want to transfer VHS tapes to DVD - Having Issues Still

Postby rmm1975 on Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:27 pm

I just spent $1K updating my PC. I purchased the following:

1. ASUS Mobo Socket 478, Intel 865G, Hyper-Threading Ready, Integrated Intel Graphics AGP 8x, Dual Channel DDR400, 10/100 Mmps LAN, Serial ATA, 6 CH Audio w/Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz processor.

2. ATI All-in-Wonder 9600 128M AGP Graphics Card

3. 1 Gig of RAM
4. Sony DVD/CD ReWritable Drive DRU-710A Double Layer
5. Maxtor 120GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA/133 Hard Drive

I did some serious homework on this and everything I read seemed to indicate what I have bought should do the job.

My issue: If I capture to MPEG or MPEG-2, the audio and video portions are out of sync.

I tried burning to avi format, twice. One time the avi file was good, but I could not figure out how to get it to fit onto a DVD so I can play it on my DVD player. The 2nd time the audio and video were out of sync after I tried to edit/burn it with Pinnacle Studio 8 (included with ATI card).

I'm beginning to think either I don't have the right software or I need some training or something. I have a brand new VCR as well that I'm playing these tapes from. I've disconnected network, disabled anti-virus/firewall when capturing, etc. I've got all the updates for all the various software I've purchased including the mobo.

Anyone got any idea's? or know a place locally here in CT that I can go to to get help? I am in real need of help and am willing to pay for someone's time to help me at this point.

I have Nero 6. Pinnacle Studio 8.

At a loss and hoping for a miracle...thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Ryan
rmm1975
Buffer Underrun

Postby Rudy on Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:50 am

Capturing directly to Mpeg2 and editing never worked for me. Prefer to capture to DV avi, edit and finally convert to mpeg.

Capturing with ATI AIW never worked for me. I have external Sony box for capturing analog and converting to DV firewire. I believe this is the key part of the system that creates or elimnates the problems you are observing.

I believe Ulead software is more reliable than Pinnacle but Studio 8 should work if your captured file is OK.

Otherwise you have more than enough system.

Having said all of the above, it is easier if you spend another $300 to buy Pioneer DVD Recorder with integrated VHS player from Walmart or similar.
Rudy
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:23 am

If you were able to record an AVI successfully (without any desyncing) then it clearly works. :) All you have to do is figure out why it worked that time, but not the second time.

Converting AVI to MPEG, so you can burn it to DVD, is not hard. NeroVision Express can do this, Pinnacle Studio 8 can probably convert the file too. Once you have the converted MPEG, you can burn a Video DVD (?) in Nero.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby jberry on Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:28 pm

hate to say this but you are wasting your time with direct MPEG II captures (unless you have a dedicated MPEG-II card like a canopus DVStorm2)...just wasting. Alot of people waster their time and money buying video cards that are not shielded etc so you get track noise in your cature.....etc.

Best workflow is to separate your jobs and use a "locked-audio" device to ensure your audio is in sync. I capture with a canopus ADVC100 via firewire...silky smooth with NO issues (audio or otherwise). Then I convert to MPEG-II via MPEG Encoder (TMPG or Main Concept or Procoder are good ones). This produces the BEST results unless you want to spend a few thousand bucks on an MPEG encoder card.

Most guys in a store have no idea how to capture properly. You also should never use a program like Ulead or Pinnacle with high overhead to capture.
jberry
CD-RW Player

Postby burninfool on Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:01 pm

You would have been better off:
1.Buying a camcorder with analog passthrough($400USD) connecting to PC via firewire.
2.Getting a Canopus ADVC-100($300) analog to digital converter.
3.Buying a standalone DVD recorder($300).
Capturing to MPEG-2 will work if you don't need to edit or add effects,use DV(AVI) if you do.
Go to www.videohelp.com and www.digitalfaq.com for guides.

BTW...Pinnacle Studio 8 is buggy,I recommend Ulead VideoStudio 6-8 if you need effects and TMPGEnc DVD Author if not.
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:59 pm

I forgot about TMPGEnc. I use it too, excellent software. I didn't mention it previously because I was trying to work with what rmm1975 already had. :)
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Thanks everyone for your help!

Postby rmm1975 on Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:13 pm

Well I've decided to just spend more $$ and buy a Canopus ADVC-100. I've never used Firewire and don't really know too much about it.

How do I get my pc that I have now so that I can use Firewire? What do I need to buy with this Canopus ADVC-100?

Thanks,
Ryan :P
rmm1975
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:24 pm

Judging by the specs of your motherboard, I take it you have the ASUS P4P800-VM. Correct me if I'm wrong here. If you do have the P4P800-VM then I see nothing in the product description about it having a Firewire connector, therefore you'll need to purchase a Firewire PCI card. Here is the cheapest one I found on Newegg. You can buy this card anywhere, but the Newegg link will give you a general idea of what you need.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Matrix3 on Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:46 am

There is no point in converting VHS into MPEG II and DVD. Burn VCD or SVCD instead. It is cheaper and simpler.
Matrix3
Buffer Underrun

Postby burninfool on Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:46 pm

Matrix3 wrote:There is no point in converting VHS into MPEG II and DVD. Burn VCD or SVCD instead. It is cheaper and simpler.

There is if you want to put 2-4 movies on one DVD and make chapters points and menus,not to mention better quality.
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Return to Video Editing