Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Accurate CD copying apps

SlySoft, Alcohol, VSO Software, NTI, etc.

Accurate CD copying apps

Postby Asrale on Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:00 am

I bought a copy of CloneCD back in December '02 and was using it until it got shut down, and even afterwards for a while (migrated to the SlySoft version). Anyway to make a long story short, my license key for the new SlySoft version expired some time ago, and now I'm finding myself needing to copy some new music CDs I've gotten (some protected, some not) so I can archive them and use the copies.

The only thing is, while I really like CloneCD, I'd rather not pay the $39 right now to buy it again (damn license keys expiring!) cuz I'm saving up for Black Friday right now. :P

So what other software is out there that does as good a job as CloneCD? And is free. I know about Alcohol 120% and CDRWin, is there anything else out there that has a free "unlimited" version though? I could use the Alcohol demo until it expires but would prefer a long-term solution that's also free, if possible...

Nero 5.5 came with my CD-RW drive but I don't know about its CD copying abilities, do they compare to CloneCD?
Asrale
Buffer Underrun

Postby hoxlund on Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:10 pm

i would recommend alcohol 120% - http://shop.alcohol-soft.com/en/alcohol_info.php
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:43 pm

For unprotected CD's I use Exact Audio Copy or CloneCD 4.2.0.2.

For nearly every other CD I use Alcohol 120%.

I also bought CloneCD back with version 3, and still use Version 4.2.0.2 (The last ELBY release) on a Win98 system. I use it on my son's Win98 system to read images and transfer it via LAN to my system.

My key works fine with Version 4. And it's never expired either. Just make sure to uncheck the auto-update feature.

You can still find the profiles online for Clone 4 for protected CD's.
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:01 am

CloneCD is the best CD copying software I have used.I still use CloneCD 4.2.0.2.The key has not yet expired.

::Pranav::
Increasingly mathematics will demand the courage to face its implications.
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby Asrale on Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:14 am

Thanks for the info, ended up using Alcohol for my copying task.

Gotta add though, Alcohol is USELESS as a general CD burning app! OMG it doesn't let you make custom drag-and-drop CD-Rs, or audio CDs, or any of that stuff! I used to think Alcohol was like the equivalent of Nero and Roxio...I have been proven wrong. ;)
Asrale
Buffer Underrun

Postby Spazmogen on Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:55 pm

Alcohol is a straight up copying Application.

That's why I use Nero & HotBurn Pro on my system as well.

Alcohol makes wonderful .iso & .mds/.mdf files though. You can edit them with Ultra ISO and add/remove items. CD Keys, update patches etc. You never have to worry about misplacing/deleting an e-mail with your product key(s) ever again.

I just made a DVD of my MS Flight Simulator discs (4 cd-r's) that I ripped into .mds/mdf files. I then added the the new 9.1 update patch into one of the discs. I also added lots of scenery & other aircraft. It allows me to reinstall it all from 1 DVD, rather that swapping cd-r's.
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Return to Other CD, DVD and Blu-ray Burning Software