Home News Reviews Forums Shop

ZipZoomFly Free 2nd Day Shipping

What was that?

ZipZoomFly Free 2nd Day Shipping

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:42 pm

I bought a video card today from ZipZoomFly, and when I was checking out, I noticed the free 2nd day shipping is now with FedEx. :( :evil:

It always used to be UPS before.

Still a great place, but they decided to turn over to the dark side.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:16 pm

what videocard did you buy ?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:34 pm

This one:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDe ... ode=323275

Chaintech SE6600G GeForce 6600 GT PCI Express 128MB DDR3
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Re: ZipZoomFly Free 2nd Day Shipping

Postby pchilson on Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:13 pm

aviationwiz wrote:I bought a video card today from ZipZoomFly, and when I was checking out, I noticed the free 2nd day shipping is now with FedEx. :( :evil:

It always used to be UPS before.

Still a great place, but they decided to turn over to the dark side.

And you didn't immeadiatly cancel your order? :wink:
pchilson
CD-RW Player

Postby LoneWolf on Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:20 pm

ZZZ has been FedEx for as long as I can remember. I'd be less likely to order from them if they used UPS.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:31 pm

Fedex Rules! UPS is the suck!
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:05 pm

LoneWolf wrote:ZZZ has been FedEx for as long as I can remember. I'd be less likely to order from them if they used UPS.

How long have you been using them? Even my order last month, 10/02 for a 74GB Raptor, the Free 2nd day was UPS. My first order from them was back when they were googlegear in July 2003.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby LoneWolf on Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:11 pm

aviationwiz wrote:
LoneWolf wrote:ZZZ has been FedEx for as long as I can remember. I'd be less likely to order from them if they used UPS.

How long have you been using them? Even my order last month, 10/02 for a 74GB Raptor, the Free 2nd day was UPS. My first order from them was back when they were googlegear in July 2003.

Actually, I do recall when they were Googlegear that they used UPS. I used to order hard disks from them and GoGoCity.com back then, between the two of them they had the best HDD prices.

I've been ordering from ZZZ (with its new name) for about a year now. Unlike UPS, I actually trust FedEx enough to sign a waiver letting them deliver a package to my house unsigned. If a place uses UPS, I have to ship to work, because of the way they run things.

Prior to my signing the waiver, if FedEx tried to deliver and I wasn't home, they'd bring it back and take it off the truck. I could go to their pickup center (4-5 miles from home) and sign for it that evening.
UPS, on the other hand, does not take things off the truck unless you call them, and they won't take them off until they've tried to deliver at least once. The result is that you wait two additional days to even attempt to pick up a package, as that's how long it takes to process this request. UPS' regional center is all the way across town through heavy-traffic areas, making it a 30-minute drive one way. I'm not willing to sign a waiver, I've seen way too many damaged packages from UPS. As a result of all this rigamarole, I look to places that ship FedEx first, only go with a place that ships UPS if they have great service and good prices, and then I have it shipped to work.
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:27 pm

I'm quite the opposite, I first look for places that ship UPS, then FedEx & DHL, then USPS. If there is a small price difference between DHL or FedEx Ground & UPS Ground, I'll pay a tad more for UPS Ground.

If I have a sig required package with UPS that I am not there to sign for, I can pick it up later that day at the hub, which is pretty far from me. Sometimes I can call and they will go ahead and deliver it the same day again if I'm home. My dad can pick it up after work the next day, which is right next door to the UPS Hub, or I can reschedule it to my work.

DHL is in the middle of nowhere to pickup, and they don't always really do a delivery attempt when they say they do.

FedEx is convinient since the Express hub (not Ground) is in my same suburb, really close to me. So I can pick that up after Synagouge or just make a special trip. However, you can see my rants about their service when it comes to transit times. FedEx Express never driver releases to me, so I pick up from them quite often.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:56 pm

LoneWolf wrote:I've been ordering from ZZZ (with its new name) for about a year now. Unlike UPS, I actually trust FedEx enough to sign a waiver letting them deliver a package to my house unsigned. If a place uses UPS, I have to ship to work, because of the way they run things.

Prior to my signing the waiver, if FedEx tried to deliver and I wasn't home, they'd bring it back and take it off the truck. I could go to their pickup center (4-5 miles from home) and sign for it that evening.
UPS, on the other hand, does not take things off the truck unless you call them, and they won't take them off until they've tried to deliver at least once. The result is that you wait two additional days to even attempt to pick up a package, as that's how long it takes to process this request. UPS' regional center is all the way across town through heavy-traffic areas, making it a 30-minute drive one way. I'm not willing to sign a waiver, I've seen way too many damaged packages from UPS. As a result of all this rigamarole, I look to places that ship FedEx first, only go with a place that ships UPS if they have great service and good prices, and then I have it shipped to work.

Wow :o

FedEx is the only courier company that's ever stolen goods from one of my shipments (a spindle of 50 Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-Rs... so at least they have good taste). I would NEVER trust FedEx enough to sign such a document!
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby LoneWolf on Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:02 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Wow :o

FedEx is the only courier company that's ever stolen goods from one of my shipments (a spindle of 50 Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-Rs... so at least they have good taste). I would NEVER trust FedEx enough to sign such a document!

I've been doing it for three years with two addresses. I have had in both cases, a porch that is hidden from plain view. At my last place, the FedEx guy and I got to be good friends; now they deliver earlier and I leave work later so at the current addres I never see them. I've never had a package get lost, stolen, or even damaged when it's been through FedEx. YMMV, maybe it's just the city I live in, but the only time I've had a bad FedEx experience was back during the UPS strike, when I had a customer service gal on the phone mouth off to me (she was working for national support, I was working for a computer store)

Me: (Politely) "I have a problem. Your message states that due to the UPS strike and your overload, you will only accept requests for package pickup prior to 9:00AM. However, my business, like many others, does not open until 9AM. How are businesses like mine going to ship packages?
FedEx CS Gal: (rude tone of voice) "Oh, well..." (as in a "Too bad, I am SOOO sorry for you...NOT" kind of voice)

I got her employee ID number and her name and called their regional office to report her. Don't know if it did any good, but my local experiences have been nothing but positive since 1995.
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby socheat on Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:57 pm

LoneWolf wrote:However, my business, like many others, does not open until 9AM. How are businesses like mine going to ship packages?

Just curious... how were you able to ship packages?
socheat
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:23 pm

That's what daily pickup accounts are for. :)
You don't have to call for a pickup...ever.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby smartin4 on Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:43 pm

We ship small packages mostly UPS & RPS where I work, but we do use Fed Ex quite a bit. Because of this, we have a FedEx computer in our computer room to transmit package info & it updates rates, etc. daily. They decided to upgrade us to a Win 2k Server.

The point of this post is that the new computer was shipped via Fed Ex by Fed Ex themselves. Needless to say, the package showed up damaged. THe box was all crushed up and when I opened it, the front cover of the computer case was popped off. Due to the damage (broken plastic posts, bent metal on the case, etc), I had a hell of a time getting it back together.

I just find it very funny that they can't even take care of their own equipment that they ship via themselves!!
smartin4
CD-RW Player

Postby lightningbaron on Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:27 pm

Certainly crap news and I just confirmed it myself, UPS used to just leave the package so I don't have to be home waiting for it.

I have to either give a signature release for FedEx or be home waiting for it! :evil: I guess I'll be seeing more of the lovely FedEx lady on my route! :lol:
lightningbaron
CD-RW Player

Return to Rants n' Raves