Home News Reviews Forums Shop

So Who Makes +R DL for Memorex

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

So Who Makes +R DL for Memorex

Postby jberry on Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:06 am

well, as can be seen on the cdrlabs front news page, memorex is releasing +R DL...question is does anybody know who makes it? I have used memorex in teh past, but it has been made by 3 diff companies...the lastest is 8x -r by ritek
jberry
CD-RW Player

Re: So Who Makes +R DL for Memorex

Postby ItalianJob on Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:04 am

In this list (from MadDog8X 2.F8 firmware), I will choose CMC Mag D01...

I've got 25 or 50 Memorex DVD+R 4X with CMC Mag mediacode

But as you say, it's maybe RitekD01... I really do not hope so.
ItalianJob
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:43 am

Memorex is almost entirely CMC... so I expect that it will either be CMC made DVD+R9 media, or *WILL* be CMC made DVD+R9 media.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:16 pm

I've been using some of it in my testing and it has been Ritek so far.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby ItalianJob on Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:40 pm

Oh no... #-o

By the way, I see some Ricoh DL @ www.os-mediatrade.de
at only 6.10 euros... Good price. But quality ?
ItalianJob
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:03 pm

The Ritek media works fine.. depending on the drive. Give drive manufacturers a few months to do more testing and the results will (hopefully) be as good as Verbatim's.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby rdgrimes on Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:23 pm

On my NEC 3500, the Ritek D01 got considerably worse with the latest (2.18 ) firmware update. Enough so that I would not burn it with 2.18. With 2.17, the results are acceptable. Personally, I will not buy any more Ritek DL, and will stick with MCC. Looking forward to trying some CMC though.

People are reporting a wide range of results with the Ritek, so either the drives vary a lot, or the media does, or both do. :roll:
Last edited by rdgrimes on Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current drives running here: ND-2500A, ND-3500A, ND-3520A,
LTR-52327S, SOHW-1633S, SOHR-52A8S
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:54 pm

rdgrimes wrote:On my NEC 3500, the Ritek D01 got considerably worse with the latest (2.18) firmware update. Enough so that I would not burn it with 2.18. With 2.17, the results are acceptable. Personally, I will not buy any more Ritek DL, and will stick with MCC. Looking forward to trying some CMC though.

People are reporting a wide range of results with the Ritek, so either the drives vary a lot, or the media does, or both do. :roll:

It is well known that Ritek's dual layer media has high quality variations... so does MCC's 8x DVDR media for that matter.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby ItalianJob on Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:07 pm

Ian wrote:The Ritek media works fine.. depending on the drive. Give drive manufacturers a few months to do more testing and the results will (hopefully) be as good as Verbatim's.

I disagree... Verbatim DL are equal from batch to batch, I burn one of them without any problem, I know a guy who burn 3/4 Verbatim DL without any problem with various softwares, and he has a lot of quality issues with 3 Ridata DL discs, very poor scans, Nero CD/DVD Speed stops, some freezes even with newest firmware...

I saw good/excellent burns with RitekD01 turning to bad burns the next disc from the same batch, with the same burner and firmware.
RitekD01 are far from MKM01 quality... -1.50/2.00 euros per disks but for what, half toasters ?
ItalianJob
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:26 pm

ItalianJob, I agree with you somewhat. I've seen differences between say RiData, Memorex and Traxdata (all use Ritek).. but nothing big between say the same batch.

Personally, I'm going to go out and say Ritek DL media is crap (yet). Yes, the quality of Ritek media has traditionally not been as good as say Verbatim, but its still very new to the market. Give it time to mature and for drive manufacturers to support it. Until then, I will agree that Verbatim is the best bet.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:13 pm

Ritek's first media of ANY media type has ALWAYS been crap!

Look at Ritek's first CD-Rs.... look at the Ritek's G01 and G02 DVD-Rs... they never even hit the North American market!! So it's not surprising that their first dual layer media is less then perfect.

Also, since MCC had the first media, they also set a standard (which is normal for them). So all drives will be first calibrated to MCC's media, and then others later. So support for MCC's dual layer will always be top notch! :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:36 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Also, since MCC had the first media, they also set a standard (which is normal for them). So all drives will be first calibrated to MCC's media, and then others later. So support for MCC's dual layer will always be top notch! :wink:

Well said. I totally agree.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby alexnoe on Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:46 am

Ricoh DL media is Inverse-Stack media, so it probably won't work on most drives yet (the NEC 3500 should handle it, though). They'll need a firmware update
Well said. I totally agree.
LG and NEC already claim to support Ritek DL media, and the results are just plain crap when looking at the scans (while even the very first drives worked on the very first MCC media). You should stop dreaming about Ritek DL being working some day, unless Ritek is doing something about it. Blame Ritek, not the drives
alexnoe
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:32 am

ItalianJob wrote:Oh no... #-o

By the way, I see some Ricoh DL @ www.os-mediatrade.de
at only 6.10 euros... Good price. But quality ?

Quality is supposed to be quite good. (Better as Ritek bus less as MCC that is what the first data suggests !)

But remember the product isn't there for 1 december at that time
CMC and Philips C02 (made by CMC) should also be on the market.

About support it probally will work with the drives depending if the drive manufacuters have fixed support.
Note here; RICOH gets priority for ritek because of 2 reasons.
1 JAPANESE COMPANNY
2 PHILIPS approved media. (which means not huge quality variations which means easier to implement strategy!)

Ritek R03, R04 and dual layer are not Philips approved and you can find this easilly back in how it was supported.

The only thing why we haven't seen CMC disc's on the market yet is because CMC doesn't want to release a half assed, unsupported product like Ritek did.

Note CMC at this time can manufacture PHILIPS C02 / MCC media that is approved. Still for royalties issues it's nice to have your own media which is supported.

What's Ritek is doing today is trying to get support just on the fact that there a big manufacturer. IF TY could do this then so can we they thought (YEp TY 8x DVD+R media is not approved by Philips !) However the problem is that TY doesn't have huge variations as Ritek has and is a Japanese companny.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:55 am

LG and NEC already claim to support Ritek DL media, and the results are just plain crap when looking at the scans (while even the very first drives worked on the very first MCC media). You should stop dreaming about Ritek DL being working some day, unless Ritek is doing something about it. Blame Ritek, not the drives

Well it's definetly ritek's fault the media isn't approved so they can put any shitty quality on the market. If you don't believe that it's ritek fault.
Then:
A why didn't they fix approval
B why do testresults suggests that it's more as just a support issue.

About MCC there media was the one who set the standards so any drive that support dual Layer +R should support it unless MCC or partners screwed up the production. However how should drive manufacturer support something that doesn't seem to have any real interest of it being in the standards.

It seems that MCC and Philips set quite tight standards at least that's what CMC said. Still CMC also said that why it will take them some time to fix it while other compannies would have problems with keeping up with these standards.

Now CMC manufacturers the Philips media like I said above and they also make MCC media. So they got allmost all technology in house. Still there own product isn't provisional approved at this time which means it isn't that easy to release such a product at a compettive price.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby alexnoe on Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:58 am

It seems that MCC and Philips set quite tight standards at least that's what CMC said.
And still not high enough... MCC DVD+R DL discs are much "closer" to DVD-ROM9 than the standard requires!
alexnoe
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers