Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DVD-RAM & GSA-4120B

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM & GSA-4120B

Postby Seed on Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:41 pm

I cannot write to DVD-RAM media or format them using XP (SP2). The media is a 3x Maxell (supports v2.1) and XP returns the error "Windows was unable to complete the format" when I try a regular format from Windows Explorer, whether it's a quick one or a full one. I've enabled and disabled "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service" just to see if it had any effect. I'm pretty much stuck now. I also tried the DVDRAM_WinXP.exe driver to no avail. The only way I can write to the CD is using Nero, but then I don't enjoy the benefits of the media. In-CD has always been extremely flaky for me so I'd rather not install it at all. Any idea what I can do?
Seed
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:54 pm

Have you tried another disc? The problem might be with the media.

Otherwise give InCD a try. The latest version works quite well with DVD-RAM.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Seed on Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:04 pm

It finally worked, using the latest DVDForm.exe. I don't know why it needed 3 install cycles to be able to see this command at all. It's only now, when I right click on the drive letter and pick "Format" that DVDForm loads. When I installed the LG driver the first 2 times, the regular XP Format window popped up. No wonder it failed (I assume it works for others, though). I'm using FAT32 now and I'm happy with the performance (4 medium files that I'll be writing regularly every day)
Seed
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers