Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Best DVD/CD analysis tool

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Best DVD/CD analysis tool

Postby norbertofh on Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:11 pm

Hello,

What tool would you recommend to analyze burned CD's/DVD's?

I just downloaded KProbe, but I still didn't get how can I analyze the C1 and C2 errors on a burned DVD :oops:.

Best regards,
Norberto
norbertofh
Buffer Underrun

Postby MediumRare on Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:14 pm

MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby norbertofh on Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:17 pm

MediumRare, I think I edited my post with more information after you read it (and before replying :)).
What I want is a tool to analyze the write quality. I just noticed that the KProbe will only work with a Lite-On drive. In my case I have a NEC 3500A burner and a Toshiba M1712 DVD reader.
norbertofh
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:17 pm

Nero CD/DVD Speed and DVDInfoPro are the most compatible tools for PI/PO testing available. They do not yet work with the PX-712a or the PX-716a, but other then that they support pretty much every drive that CAN do that sort of testing.

K-Probe only works on LiteONs, Plextools and PXScan only work on Plextor PX-712a and PX-716a's.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby burninfool on Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:09 am

Use your NEC with Nero CD-DVD Speed,don't use your Toshiba because DVD-ROMs are inaccurate.
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:45 am

norbertofh wrote:MediumRare, I think I edited my post with more information after you read it (and before replying :)).
What I want is a tool to analyze the write quality. I just noticed that the KProbe will only work with a Lite-On drive. In my case I have a NEC 3500A burner and a Toshiba M1712 DVD reader.

Doh! I posted at the same time as you!

Unfortunatly, your NEC 3500a does not support PI/PO testing (at least so far) so no tool will allow you to do similar testing to K-Probe. You CAN use Nero CD/DVD Speed or DVDInfoPro to do a transfer rate test on the media though. I suggest doing the test on the media with whatever drive you usually use to read the disc's back in. If the disc can be read back at full speed with no dips or drops in the speed graph, then the disc is going to be in fairly good condition in most cases.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:27 pm

The chipset does. However NEC seems not to interested in getting users this feature.
The whole our drives can not do it is a fairytale.
But still there to unwilling to cooperate or launch some good home made tools.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Halc on Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:51 am

burninfool wrote:Use your NEC with Nero CD-DVD Speed,don't use your Toshiba because DVD-ROMs are inaccurate.

There is no proof (that I've seen) to support the conclusion that ALL dvd-rom drives are inaccurate.

HOWEVER, there are plenty of tests to show that LiteOn (and many other Mediatek chipset based) dvd-rom and combo dvd/cdrw drives are unreliable.

AOpen DVD-1648/AAP and Plextor's latest dvd-rom seem to be working ok.

regards,
halcyon
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:35 pm

Halc wrote:
burninfool wrote:Use your NEC with Nero CD-DVD Speed,don't use your Toshiba because DVD-ROMs are inaccurate.

There is no proof (that I've seen) to support the conclusion that ALL dvd-rom drives are inaccurate.

HOWEVER, there are plenty of tests to show that LiteOn (and many other Mediatek chipset based) dvd-rom and combo dvd/cdrw drives are unreliable.

AOpen DVD-1648/AAP and Plextor's latest dvd-rom seem to be working ok.

regards,
halcyon

There's a lot of proof showing that all LiteON DVD related products are unreliable... :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers