Home News Reviews Forums Shop

OEM Bundled Software with drives - Help Please!!

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

OEM Bundled Software with drives - Help Please!!

Postby Chineseafro on Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:16 pm

Hi everyone:D

I have a quick question about bundled software with drives. I sell mostly LG DVD burners, and the software bundled with them is like a "trial" version that doesnt allow them to burn dvd's, just audio and data. Do retail boxes have full versions? What is the best way to solve this? Many people come back angry because they cant burn DVD's with their DVD burner.

Thanks in advance and I hope everyone has a good holiday season!
Chineseafro
Buffer Underrun

Weird

Postby shaun on Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:44 pm

We sell hundreds of drives (of all sorts) and all the OEM software I usually find bundled with drives are full version. Nero OEM Suite seems to be the favourite of most distributors in Canada.

And yes, retail boxes do come with full versions (and an IDE cable, audio cable, and usually a blank piece of media)
"Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy"
shaun
CD-RW PiMP

Postby Ian on Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:28 pm

Which LG drives? What software? What versions?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby shaun on Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:23 pm

I need to read better...I think I picked up on the missing piece.

No software that is going to come with a DVD-Burner is going to allow you to "backup" DVD movies that are protected (which most are...)

You will need to suggest other programs, such as DVDDecrypter or DVDShrink (probably the easiest for the common person to use). You will need NERO for DVDShrink

Does this help?
shaun
CD-RW PiMP

Postby Chineseafro on Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:00 pm

No, they are not trying to backup dvd movies that are copyrighted, but that is a good point on what SOME may be trying to do.

We stock the LG 4160's, and people keep coming in and saying that the software doesnt allow them to burn video, just audio and data.

Some cd burners have the same thing, where you can only burn audio and data, but not video cd or mp3.......

I thought the same thing as what you guys are saying, that they all came with full versions..........now I'm being told otherwise by customers.......its possible they could be wrong.

Any more ideas? I appreciate the help guys, good to know youre always here for these kind of questions:D:D
Chineseafro
Buffer Underrun

Postby Chineseafro on Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:59 pm

As an update to this:

http://www.nero.com/us/28358.html

Theyre saying that the video plug in is needed to burn video..........then shouldnt whatever the LG drives come with not have video burning capabilities?
Chineseafro
Buffer Underrun

Postby TCAS on Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:46 pm

Chineseafro wrote:As an update to this:

http://www.nero.com/us/28358.html

Theyre saying that the video plug in is needed to burn video..........then shouldnt whatever the LG drives come with not have video burning capabilities?

This statement of yours is not sound right, the DVD writer manufacturer selling their drive with any writhing capability software, I am almost %99 sure that that software is DVD writing software, may be with limited capability but enable the user to process basic burning with it.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:26 pm

I'm betting they can't with Nero Express, but the bundled CyberLink software should be able to do it.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Chineseafro on Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:02 pm

I am going to check into this further.............I have had a few unhappy customers that can't even burn dvd's on their dvd burner.
Chineseafro
Buffer Underrun

Postby Chineseafro on Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:53 pm

My technicians are telling me that no DVD burners they have ever installed have software that will burn video.

On the LG drives, the Nero Xpress nor the Cyberlink software burn video. PowerDVD and Cyberlink are both players, not burners.

In other words, DVD burners can't burn anything other than data or audio, unless you get full versions of the software....... they have you by the balls:|
Chineseafro
Buffer Underrun

Weird

Postby shaun on Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:58 pm

Weird...

All our OEM Lite-On and Pioneer drives all ship with Full Versions of Nero which can burn video. Sony's come with Copy It! which also burns video.

Since software is usually bundled at the distributor level..it might be time to ask them :)
shaun
CD-RW PiMP

Re: Weird

Postby Chineseafro on Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:08 pm

shaun wrote:Weird...

All our OEM Lite-On and Pioneer drives all ship with Full Versions of Nero which can burn video. Sony's come with Copy It! which also burns video.

Since software is usually bundled at the distributor level..it might be time to ask them :)

This is a good point..........thanks

I'm going to get to the bottom of this with disty.

Any more ideas are VERY welcome, thanks :D
Chineseafro
Buffer Underrun

Re: Weird

Postby Chineseafro on Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:00 pm

shaun wrote:Weird...

How can Nero afford to ship full versions? Is it Nero Xpress Ultra? Or just regular Nero Xpress?

One of my purchaser's is insisting that LG comes with NO video burning software.....which is B.S. and he's pissing me off.

:D
Chineseafro
Buffer Underrun

hmm

Postby shaun on Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:07 pm

Hmm

Are you talking about capturing and buring video, or just burning dvd-ready video files?

I have included all the info that comes with the version that is bundled by most Canadian distributors.

NERO OEM Suite

OEM Suite 1 Version
The ultimate CD/DVD burning suite in the industry! Nero 6 has become the All-in-One solution! With all the various helpful applications included in Nero 6, all of your CD and DVD burning tasks can be managed with flying colors. Go beyond the everyday rip and burn with this new, complete set of media tools. Burning DVD-Video, Photo, Data, Audio or backup - not a problem! Nero 6 can handle it. But this is only one part of the new All-in-One solution. Nero 6 offers you the ability to edit audio, mix tracks, watch movies, listen to music, optimize your system, design covers and more. If you enjoyed Nero 5.5, you'll love Nero 6.
Features:

Nero StartSmart

StartSmart is the project launcher that makes it easy to navigate this powerful software. All the tools you need are organized together and available with the click of a mouse. StartSmart has every coll effect and editing tool you will ever need to take your projects to the next level.

Nero Express 6

The fastest way to perfect results. Whether you are a beginner or an expert, Nero Express guides you quickly and easily through your projects.

InCD 4

This intelligent package writing solution has been improved through the use of SmartDetect technology, which will instantly recognizes new recorders.

Nero Vision Express 2*

With the new advanced video authoring of Nero Vision Express 2, you can capture video, or use existing video files, then edit, add effects and transitions, create your menus and titles, layer the whole thing over your favorite music, then burn to DVD and VCD and SVCD. You can also use Nero Vision Express 2 to create great looking slide shows in a snap

Nero ShowTime*

An integrated DVD player is added for playing back your video files. Nero ShowTime's image quality and clear sound will definitely impress many.

Other features included:

Nero Media Player

Nero Toolkit

Nero Cover Designer

*Special versions that do not support SVCD and DVD-video.
shaun
CD-RW PiMP

Postby Chineseafro on Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:15 pm

It COULD include ripping and burning video...........if you rip the video using another piece of software, can't you burn it with Nero bundled software?

From what I'm being told, the software included won't burn ANY video at all.
Chineseafro
Buffer Underrun

Sorry..don't know what to tell ya

Postby shaun on Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:48 pm

The version above (OEM Suite) burns video.

Just checked it myself ;)
shaun
CD-RW PiMP

Postby TCAS on Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:33 am

Chineseafro wrote:It COULD include ripping and burning video...........if you rip the video using another piece of software, can't you burn it with Nero bundled software?

From what I'm being told, the software included won't burn ANY video at all.

Your information is wrong, just read what Shaun said.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby unclebud on Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:14 pm

some retail drives are just shipping with nero express only
i remember seeing nero express (5.5.10.56) only allows data dvd or something less useful?
5.5 got all the meat?
unclebud
CD-RW Thug

Return to DVD Writers