Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Recorded an audio mix, but no sound on playback -- ??? HELP!

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Recorded an audio mix, but no sound on playback -- ??? HELP!

Postby neronovice on Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:33 pm

I finally got SoundTrax up and running.

Spent hours creating a mix and editing.

Burned a CD.

Thought everything was all good.

But alas, when I go to play the CD, there is no sound! ](*,)

Can anyone please tell me how to record the mix and end up with a functioning audio CD?

Thank you so much!
neronovice
Buffer Underrun

Postby neronovice on Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:06 pm

The CD contains links to tracks rather than the audio tracks themselves. Isn't Soundtrax supposed to burn audio tracks?

Tried creating an "image" of the mix on my harddrive, then burned it in Nero Burning Rom, but all the transitions were lost.
neronovice
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:47 pm

How are you adding the content to Nero SoundTrax?

Are you grabbing it from an LP or Cassette through the sound card?

Are you launching Nero SoundTrax and then going to 'Insert->Audio File' and selecting the audio file directly?

I was not able to duplicate your issue. Either way, the audio is properly added, and plays back fine in Nero SoundTrax, and the resulting CD created also has sound with all the Crossfades, etc.

Regards,

Craig
Best Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby neronovice on Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:06 pm

Thank you for your help!

I am launching Nero SoundTrax and then going to 'Insert->Audio File' and selecting the audio file directly.

The mix plays fine in SoundTrax.

The problem only arises when I try to burn it to CD (for which I just click "burn" an follow the prompts).

My last two attempts to burn the mix to CD yielded audio, but the results were all jumbled up (the first track played the first song, the second track repeated the first song and then, midway, jumped to the second song, etc., a big mess!). Also, the tracks on the CD all show as 1 KB files, which seems odd.

Could it be that my software is defective?
neronovice
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:39 pm

neronovice wrote:Also, the tracks on the CD all show as 1 KB files, which seems odd.

I can't offer you any help on your larger problems, but I will say that seeing 1 KB files on the CD when you look at the disc on your computer using Windows Explorer is perfectly normal. Those aren't the actual songs. They are just placeholder files that contain a little information about the actual audio tracks. You should see one per track, each with a .cda extension (assuming you have Explorer set up to show extensions):

So, don't worry about the 1 KByte files. They are normal.

Good luck with the rest of your problems.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby CCampbell on Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:30 pm

neronovice wrote:Thank you for your help!

I am launching Nero SoundTrax and then going to 'Insert->Audio File' and selecting the audio file directly.

The mix plays fine in SoundTrax.

The problem only arises when I try to burn it to CD (for which I just click "burn" an follow the prompts).

My last two attempts to burn the mix to CD yielded audio, but the results were all jumbled up (the first track played the first song, the second track repeated the first song and then, midway, jumped to the second song, etc., a big mess!). Also, the tracks on the CD all show as 1 KB files, which seems odd.

Could it be that my software is defective?

Cfitz is correct in regards to the reported 1kb file size for the CDA file.

As for the 'jumbled playback', I am not able to reproduce that either, but its a good sign that you are able to at least get some sound now. :)

When you play back through SoundTrax before burning, it plays all the way through normally? Without any of the songs being repeated, or jumping to another song in the middle of the current one being played? Are you using Crossfades?

Is this the first time you've used our SoundTrax program? Or have you used it before succesfully?

I can only think it may have something to do with how you are laying out the songs in SoundTrax. Just a guess, as I am not able to duplicate your symptoms.

Regards

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby neronovice on Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:40 pm

Thanks for helping me!!!

Have emailed Nero several times but as yet no response.

To answer your questions:

1) This is my first time using SoundTrax.

2) The tracks and crossfades play perfectly in SoundTrax (prior to burning).

3) To lay the tracks I followed the instructions under "creating crossfades" in the SoundTrax manual provided with the software. Create track. Import song (from hard-drive). Overlap tracks. Click between tracks and choose crossfade type. Repeat for each additional track. No problems. Sounds divine.

It just won't burn to CD correctly (Which for me, defeats the purpose of having the software -- it was specifically to burn audio CD's with crossfade that I bought Nero 6 Ultra). But still hoping and praying that there is a solution to this and that I'm not stuck with bum software.

Thanks for your support!

K
neronovice
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:44 pm

What version of Nero do you have? Is it the NEro 6.6.0.5, or did you upgrade to the Nero 6.6.0.6?

For my tests, I am using Nero 6.6.0.5, as I assumed you would have this, as Nero 6.6.0.6 was only posted on the website yesterday.

Are you only using Nero SoundTrax for the ability to do Crossfades? Becuase if that is all you want to do, there is a much easier way to accomplish this than to go through Nero SoundTrax. You can just launch Nero Express, select the option Music->Audio CD and then add all your audio files. Then Select all your audio files and click on the Properties button on the right. And then at the bottom of the 'Audio Track Properties' window, you will see the option for Cross Fade. Just check the box, and then enter in how much of a crossfade you want in seconds.

As for SoundTrax, not working when burning, I'm at a loss as I can not duplicate this issue, and if it were simply a software feature not working, then it should be across the board and easily duplicated.

What model recorder do you have? Can you send me a copy of the log file from the write attempt with SoundTrax at techsupport4@nero.com?

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby neronovice on Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:09 pm

Craig,

Thanks so much!

I sent an email to you at Nero tech support.

Just in case it doesn't get through, here is a copy of the text:

Here are some answers to your questions:

1) My recorder is Matshita UJDA 360 (on my Dell Inspiron 2650)
2) I am using version 6.6.0.3 (Nero 6 Ultra retail edition + the freebie updates to fix Windows XP problem)
3) I purchased the software specifically for SoundTrax, so I could add nice crossfades and other effects. The reason I don't use Express is because (unless I've missed something) it doesn't offer very specific control over crossfades (which SoundTrax does) and there is no preview function.
4) I have saved a few log files, but I thought it best to do another trial and send you a fresh one so you know precisely where I'm at (right now, scrambled playback). Hope something in it solves the puzzle.

Thanks again,

Kelly
neronovice
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:00 pm

Hi Neronovice(Kelly),

Sorry for the delay in responding to your issue. And I'm also sorry for not catching on right away to what your issue really was.

I could not duplicate your issue as I was either capturing from the sound card, or importing WAV, MP3, etc files into Nero SoundTrax, and yet your posting clearly shows that you are trying to import .CDA files from an Auido CD.

I just overlooked this. #-o

Our WAV editor and Nero SoundTrax programs are designed to only work with Audio Files. It will not work with CDA files from off an Audio CD. You must first use the Nero program to RIPP the audio from the audio CD to your Hard Drive into an audio format such as WAV, MP3, WMA, VQF, OGG, etc and then import into the Nero SoundTrax Program. Then you will not have the problems you are running into.

Sorry again for not catching this from the begining, as it was sitting right here in front of my face. :(

Regards

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)