Home News Reviews Forums Shop

NeroVision Express 3 (All Versions)

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

NeroVision Express 3 (All Versions)

Postby Nexgolai on Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:33 am

After many reinstalls of both XP and NVE3 I have finally found the root of the crashing-on-importing-anything problem.

Themes.
Standard XP theme: No problem
Standard Classic Theme: No Problem
My XP theme (OpusOS): Hang/Crash on import.

NeroVision2 does not exhibit this problem. I am using a replacement uxtheme.dll from the neowin guys.

So, is this a known problem? I have seen many unanswered threads with the same symptoms, but never a hint that it was the theme causing it.

I hope someone can shed a little light on this as i don't want to have to disable themese everytime i wish to author a DVD. Thanks.
Nexgolai
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:49 pm

It probably isn't the answer you want to here, but I would suggest just sticking with the stock XP installation. The more you customize your OS, the further it diverges from the standard which developers code to and testers test against, so the more likely you are to have trouble with any program - not just Nero.

Sorry. :(

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Nexgolai on Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:33 pm

Very true, but that's why at the same time i'm not shouting about wanting my money back. TBH I'm really happy i found the cause of it all as it's been driving me insane.

I still don't understand how such a small proportion of NVE3 users has noticed this, esp as it seems to be caused by simply theming Windows.
I just hope my post was any use to the Nero lot if Craig picks it up.
Nexgolai
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:53 pm

Nexgolai wrote:I'm really happy i found the cause of it all as it's been driving me insane.

Yes, that is a good finding. And I'm sorry I didn't thank you in my first reply for sharing that information. It could save a lot of grief for someone else.

And yes, now that you have posted it here, perhaps Craig will be able to duplicate it on his test-bed and have his engineers take a look at the problem.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby CCampbell on Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:22 pm

Hi Nexgolai,

Yes, I believe this was a very valuable find. And I was able to finally duplicate this issue.

I had heard reports with themes, but could never duplicate the issue. This does shed some valuable light, and I have generated a bug entry for this issue.

Thanks again for your feedback and time.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)