Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DVD drive won't read newly inserted discs

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

DVD drive won't read newly inserted discs

Postby Valacar on Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:30 pm

I have a somewhat strange problem that's been bugging me for a while now. I have Pioneer DVDR-107D drive that will read a disc properly one time, but then when I put in another disc, it still shows the contents (file list) of the last disc that's been removed. The only way I've figured out how to get it to properly read a new discs's contents is to remove the disc, close the tray, and then ask Windows (2000 Pro specifically) to access the dvd drive, which of course brings up an error saying there's no disc in the drive. After I get the no disc error, I can put in a new disc and it'll read the contents properly.

Has anyone heard of a problem like this? Besides that problem, the drive works just fine....it just has the problem recognizing that a new disc was inserted. I've updated the firmware to the latest version, which doesn't help. I'm thinking it's Windows that's causing the problem, but unlike other hardware, i can't just update a driver (or can I?) since Windows takes care of that stuff. Only thing I can think of is re-installing Windows again, but I'd rather not. Any ideas?
Valacar
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:42 pm

Try enabling autorun:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q155217/

Of course, autorun can be annoying in and of itself, but...

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Valacar on Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:10 pm

That fixed it, thanks cfitz...and thanks for the quick reply! I always disable autorun and never had any problems with it until now, but I guess I'll have to live with it and just hold shift whenever I insert a disc with auto run crap. Much appreciiated.
Valacar
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:07 pm

You're welcome.

Like you, I also always used to disable auto-run. But eventually I got tired of the no-refresh problem you described and decided having auto-run enabled was the lesser of two evils.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to DVD Writers