Home News Reviews Forums Shop

In House Review - BenQ DW1620 Double Layer 16x DVD±RW

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:52 pm

Ian wrote:Nice. Hopefully they'll release it soon. I might have to email BenQ and see if I can get a copy of it early. [-o<
Ian wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Hrm... would have been nice to get this too...

Yes, but you'd have to sell your soul or permanently sew your lips to the ass of someone at BenQ.

i gather they were'nt too responsive ??? :lol:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Ian on Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:58 pm

I was being a smart ass. I just got home a little while ago and haven't had time to email anyone yet.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ian on Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:17 am

dolphinius_rex, you've got mail
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby VEFF on Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:22 am

Ian wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Hrm... would have been nice to get this too...

Yes, but you'd have to sell your soul or permanently sew your lips to the ass of someone at BenQ.

If that someone is a female and is very attractive, that might not be such a bad thing.
Just kidding; I just got a visual reading Ian's post and my reply was just
the first thing that came to mind based on the visual.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:57 am

This is a Verbatim 2.4x DVD+R9 disc burned at 4x using the BenQ DW1620 with firmware B7P9. The disc was then tested in the same BenQ DW1620 at 8x. As you can see, the disc is fully readable, but could still use a little tweaking in quality at the point of the layer break to the end of the disc. I'm going to try to run a few more tests (K-Probe and Plextools) when I can, but I'm now in the middle of the next review, and don't want to hold it up too much :wink:

I noticed that my results were not quite as good as CDRinfo's... this is possibly due to media quality fluctuations, but for this test I used one of the Verbatim Dual Layer discs that BenQ themselves sent to me, so I would expect mine to be of very good quality. On the other hand, it was also in a paper sleeve, so there may have been minor scratches I didn't notice.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby hjs on Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:15 am

That's quick :)

dolphinius_rex wrote:Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:42 am Post subject:
Hrm... would have been nice to get this too...

dolphinius_rex wrote:Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:57 am Post subject:
This is a Verbatim 2.4x DVD+R9 disc burned at 4x using the BenQ DW1620 with firmware B7P9

=D>
hjs
CD-RW Thug

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:58 am

hjs wrote:That's quick :)

Someone was listening :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby uknown1234 on Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:16 pm

[-o<
I didn't recieve any mail yet
[-o<
uknown1234
CD-RW Thug

Postby Dartman on Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:17 pm

yeah, where's my test firmware ;)
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:31 pm

Dartman wrote:yeah, where's my test firmware ;)

How much ass did you kiss?

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:45 am

Not enough I guess. Hmmm, didn't see that on the job requirements ..... :P
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby hjs on Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:47 am

Are there more nice things in that firmware, except 4x DL burning?

4x DL burning is nice, but i don't think i will buy any DL media soon, too expensive ;)
hjs
CD-RW Thug

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:29 am

hjs wrote:Are there more nice things in that firmware, except 4x DL burning?

4x DL burning is nice, but i don't think i will buy any DL media soon, too expensive ;)

Looks like they've tweaked a few write strategies as well, but I can't really test each one out :wink: I'm trying to focus all my attention on the next review right now, so since doing testing on the BenQ requires the same computer system, I am giving the new review first priority. That being said, I'll through in a test here and there when I can :D

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:46 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:
This is a Verbatim 2.4x DVD+R9 disc burned at 4x using the BenQ DW1620 with firmware B7P9. The disc was then tested in the same BenQ DW1620 at 8x. As you can see, the disc is fully readable, but could still use a little tweaking in quality at the point of the layer break to the end of the disc. I'm going to try to run a few more tests (K-Probe and Plextools) when I can, but I'm now in the middle of the next review, and don't want to hold it up too much :wink:

I noticed that my results were not quite as good as CDRinfo's... this is possibly due to media quality fluctuations, but for this test I used one of the Verbatim Dual Layer discs that BenQ themselves sent to me, so I would expect mine to be of very good quality. On the other hand, it was also in a paper sleeve, so there may have been minor scratches I didn't notice.

The media Benq supplied a long should be of the same quality as you can buy on the streets.
So source of variations for the burnquality.
Are A the media. Small production variances could cause it.
B the state of media you suggested.
C Your drive. Since Benq/Philips seem to have a variation in the performance the drive can deliver.

But the media looks ok in cdspeed but then again a end judgement can not be really made with cdspeed.
Trying to make something "foolproof" only forces nature to make a better fool.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:30 pm

RJW wrote:The media Benq supplied a long should be of the same quality as you can buy on the streets.

Yes and no. I've gotten sames of MKM/Verbatim media from a number of different companies and I have seen variances. Some of the early samples yielded less than stellar results and others packed were packed in paper sleeves (like BenQ's) that might have had an effect on the results. These days, I try to keep the playing field as level as I can by using retail Verbatim DL media.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:08 pm

Ian wrote:
RJW wrote:The media Benq supplied a long should be of the same quality as you can buy on the streets.

Yes and no. I've gotten sames of MKM/Verbatim media from a number of different companies and I have seen variances. Some of the early samples yielded less than stellar results and others packed were packed in paper sleeves (like BenQ's) that might have had an effect on the results. These days, I try to keep the playing field as level as I can by using retail Verbatim DL media.

I also try to make sure all my media comes from a retail supply.. although this is not always possible with some discs.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

now if....

Postby pigpenz on Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:44 pm

only we could get the cost of DL media to come down :)
Plextor 708A
Nec 1300A
Nec 2500A
pigpenz
Buffer Underrun

Re: now if....

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:16 am

pigpenz wrote:only we could get the cost of DL media to come down :)

Give it a bit more time. There are at least 5 companies now making dual layer DVD+R9 media, and more are on the way quite soon! We should see some good price drops early next year I hope.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:18 am

It's are at least 6 and there might be more. but these are the 7 for which there is proof out there.

For the people who like to know what

we have CMC produceing CMC and PHILIPS and MCC/MKM disc's
we have MCC/MKM produceing MCC/MKM disc's
we have Ritek produceing ritek *
we have Prodisc produceing Prodisc
we have Infomedia produceing infomedia
We have ricoh produceing ricoh.

Also we have a Hongkong manufacturer that claims that it can make dual layer media. Code is unknown at this time. I think the factory price was something like $1. If people are interested I could probally dig it up again or you can do some self

* Ritek might also produce ricoh disc's

Now which of these are approved by Philips.
Well only MCC/MKM version is fully approved.

Provisional approved at this time are:
Philips and Ricoh.
Trying to make something "foolproof" only forces nature to make a better fool.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby code65536 on Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:25 pm

Here are the +R9 media codes extracted from a LiteOn firmware...

Code: Select all
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+R9 Media Codes (7)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0x02: MKM     /001/00  [ 2.4x, 4x ]
0x04: RICOHJPN/D00/01  [ 2.4x     ]
0x06: RITEK   /D01/01  [ 2.4x     ]
0x08: PHILIPS /CD2/00  [ 2.4x     ]
0x0A: PRODISC /D01/00  [ 2.4x     ]
0x0C: INFOME  /D01/00  [ 2.4x     ]
0x0E: CMC MAG /D01/00  [ 2.4x     ]

Pretty much matches what the post above says. So the question is, how much longer is it going to be before these things get transformed from a list of ASCII characters to actual things sitting on shelves? DL's been out for half a year now, and so far, it's still Mitsubishi and Ritek running the show, and prices are still about where they used to be...
code65536
CD-RW Player

Postby vio_man on Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:56 pm

I'm worried about that error reporting problem. In the review the BenQ drive didn't reported any errors, which is strange. Does anyone knows if the recent firmwares (B7S9 and B7T9) fixed this issue?
vio_man
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:19 pm

Do you mean for CDs?

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby vio_man on Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:49 pm

I mean this:

To see how well BenQ's new drive can read scratched and dirty discs, I used CD Speed's ScanDisc utility to see how many sectors were damaged or unreadable. This is a very rough, but good way to test the drive's error correcting abilities.

Unfortunately the DW1620 wasn't able to report any damaged sections on the disc. So the best we can say from this scan is that no blocks were regarded as unreadable. Although it is good that the whole disc is considered readable, it does leave us a little in the dark as to *how* readable various sections are.
vio_man
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:34 am

vio_man wrote:I mean this:

To see how well BenQ's new drive can read scratched and dirty discs, I used CD Speed's ScanDisc utility to see how many sectors were damaged or unreadable. This is a very rough, but good way to test the drive's error correcting abilities.

Unfortunately the DW1620 wasn't able to report any damaged sections on the disc. So the best we can say from this scan is that no blocks were regarded as unreadable. Although it is good that the whole disc is considered readable, it does leave us a little in the dark as to *how* readable various sections are.

I'll take that as a yes.... I'll look into it for you :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby hjs on Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:19 am

MacClipper @ cdfreaks wrote:I wouldn't spend much time wondering about P9 vs S9 vs T9 cos U9 is just around the corner and I am sure that everyone here will jump to U9 straightaway, thanks to its added functionality (2 new features to toy with) in combination with the upcoming BenQ utilities.

any idea what to expect? (and the post is already 4 days old)

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=123725
hjs
CD-RW Thug

PreviousNext

Return to DVD Writers