Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Calling all New Yorkers

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Calling all New Yorkers

Postby murray on Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:57 pm

Hey Guys

In a couple of weeks I will be starting a new job in New York, with that in mind where is Manhatten is the best place to purchase Computer hardware and software?

I know where CompUSA is located also Staples and Circuit City, I would imagine that they will all be top notch prices because of their addresses.

I am actually living in Greenwich Village, perhaps there are some reasonably priced Electronic stores or even dedicated Computer Stores in and around that area.

Any help would be much appreciated
murray
Buffer Underrun

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:11 pm

Crazy Eddie's.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Calling all New Yorkers

Postby murray on Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:43 pm

Many thanx Slim
murray
Buffer Underrun

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:35 pm

Hey, murray, I wasn't really serious. It was some place I saw a long time on a trip. But seriously, I see some of those camera places show up on pricegrabber from time to time. Grab some PC stuff at random and run it through Pricegrabber to see what shops are coughed up.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:39 pm

Then check their reputations on www.resellerratings.com . I think Reseller Ratings tends to focus more on mail, phone and Internet ordering, but presumably a store that scores well on remote sales will do well in person also.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:24 pm

there's a photo shop called B&H
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

i've heard good things about them, and they sell computer stuff too i think.
they had very good prices too, for the items i was looking at (CF card).

as i recall they had good ratings on resellerratings.
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1914.html
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby smartin4 on Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:28 pm

I haven't heard about Crazy Eddie's in years. His commercials always ended with the tagline, "Crazy Eddie, his prices are INSANE!!!!"

A while back (10 years ago?), the owner ("Crazy" Eddie Antar (sp)) was brought up on charges for tax evasion or something, apparently, the guy was as crooked as they come. Anyway, he was supposed to go to trial, and if I remember correctly, he skipped out of the US and went to Israel. I don't remember if they were able to get him back here or not to stand trial.
smartin4
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:35 pm

smartin4 wrote:Anyway, he was supposed to go to trial, and if I remember correctly, he skipped out of the US and went to Israel. I don't remember if they were able to get him back here or not to stand trial.

most likely not :evil: :evil: :evil:
they appeal to the court to not extradite them, claiming they will be attacked/moslested/discriminated for being Jewish etc. and the damn courts fall for it, and let them stay in Israel serving their time here.
this has happened too many times. really pisses me off.

but then what can you expect from a country who has a man who was convicted of fraud in France as a member of Parliament? a country whose current Prime Minister is, well not guilty in the legal sense, but in the moral sense of complicity with atrocities carried out by Christian Arabs against Palestinians in Lebanon ?

<can't be bothered to rant more about the current PM and his questionable morals - bribes etc. and the rest of this stinkin country>

sorry for going off topic
Last edited by dodecahedron on Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby john on Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:27 pm

J & R Music on Park Row just below city hall - not always the best price but generally fair prices
john
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:51 am

Shop around, murray. Some users already posted nice suggestions: CompUSA, Staples, Office Max, Office Depot, Circuit City, Best Buy, J&R. Research the monitor you want, then check the prices and availability at the aforementioned stores. You can always cross the River and shop in New Jersey. Prices may be lower, and sales tax is definitely lower in NJ than NY, and there are some nice malls in NJ (e.g. Jersey Gardens in Elizabeth, NJ). As an added bonus, there is only 3% sales tax in Jersey City, NJ. :wink:
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Calling all New Yorkers

Postby murray on Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:17 am

Thank Guys for all the info, I will hop over to New Jersey when I get some time off.

And a special thanx to Slim ('[-X')
murray
Buffer Underrun

Return to General Hardware Discussion