Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Error when making data CD

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Error when making data CD

Postby b_atkinson on Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:13 pm

Using Nero 6, vision express I attempted to copy 3.5 gig of data (pictures saved on server) to a DVD recordable. At the end of the process it said burn complete. However, there is nothing on the DVD. I am finding myself completely lost with Nero. I used roxio before and I just can't seem to get any of the Nero programs to work. I am the first to agree that my beginner status probably has all to do with my troubles. However, I just can't seem to figure out why using Nero is so difficult compared to my burning cd/r's and cd/rw's on roxio for back up purposes.

I follow all the steps and I even get a "burn completed" and nada, zippo, nothing.

I even downloaded about 200 pages of user guides from the Nero website. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brad
I also have nero ultra at home. I can't get that to work. I think I should give up any type of backing up and copying of my data on dvd's. I am losing all patience. [-o<
b_atkinson
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:05 pm

Hi Brian,

Without the log file we can only guess at what is going on.

However, if you get the burn complete message, and the DVD is blank, and I mean truly blank, then it can be only one of three below issues

1) You selected the Image Recorder instead of your DVD Recorder to burn too. Which means you now have an NRG image file on your Hard drive that contains all your photos
2) You burned to a second recorder on your system and the first one remains blank
3) You are not telling us everything that actually happened. :)

I suspect #1 is your issue. Before you began to burn, did it bring up a window so you can name the Image file? If it did, do a search for this name you gave it, and then use Nero to burn the Image file to a CD using the option in Nero StartSmart under 'Copy and Backup' called 'Burn Image to Disc'.

Regards

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

You know your stuff!

Postby b_atkinson on Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:33 pm

Craig,
I did save it as an image file. I didn't know why it didn't save to the dvd/r. However, I did check the image file and could tell that it was the data I wanted to go to the dvd/r. I am not able to change in the options of where to save. It defaults to image file. I was only able to select the dvd/r using burning rom instead of vision express. Should I be able to burn using vision express with 3.5 gig of data to a dvd/r? If so, what step am I missing in order to get it to the dvd burner instead of the image file on the hard drive?

OK, I just finished using burning rom. I intended for it to burn to the dvd/r. However, it says "files ready to be written to cd." I tried to write them per windows suggestion, but it said the disc is full or ...... I know I chose to write them to the dvd drive. Why when I click on the dvd drive in windows explorer is it now saying that it has files waiting to be written? Should it have written them to begin with? How do I make this happen now, and in the future can I make it do this without asking me by my choosing the dvd drive?
Thanks for all your help,
Brad
b_atkinson
Buffer Underrun

Okay, made it a little farther

Postby b_atkinson on Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:22 pm

Well, I have just guessed my way through giving myself administrative rights along with downloading buring rights from nero. Then I gave everyone buring rights on the computer. Then I chose dvd drive as my destination in buring rom and it finally let me click burn. I am in the process of burning and the little green light on the dvd drive is, for now, blinking away.
Brad
b_atkinson
Buffer Underrun

Finished! woooooohoooooo!

Postby b_atkinson on Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:32 pm

Fellas & Ladies, I have finished, woooooooooooohoooooooooo. It burned after getting burning rights and bumbling my way through granting administrative rights to the correct user!

I will be back later with more questions!(haha) Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it! It is very cool being able to find answers from people who know and are willing to share for just the sake of sharing!
Brad
b_atkinson
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:21 pm

Looks like you resovled most of your issues your self. :D

The message you were getting when it said 'File ready to be written to disc' was not from the Nero software, but from Windows XP's Engine.

And I was not aware you did not have Admin rights, or logged in as Admin. You can not use any CD Recording software unless you have Admin rights.

And writing an Image file will never write to a Recorder, it will only write to the Hard Drive, as your Hard Drive is the Image Recoder. And since you were not logged in as Admin, you had no option for a Recorder, only Image Recorder.

Basicly, you were in a vicious loop. :)

You should not have this issue in the future, now that you know you need to log in as Admin, or be given Admin Rights using Nero BurnRights, in order to see any Recorder to write too.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)