Home News Reviews Forums Shop

NVE menus and ReEncoding,why?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

NVE menus and ReEncoding,why?

Postby NoSmartz on Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:00 pm

I really like the simplicity of the NVE menu creator but it has one major drawback,it takes the length of the movie to "Re-Encode" the movie just to add chapters and menus.In TMPG dvd author it only takes about 15 minutes.
Why is this?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:28 pm

NVE should of course not re-encode the whole movie if it's MPEG-2/DVD Compliant, it should only re-encode those portions that have been modified.

We have found issues with NVE in that it re-encodes some files it should not be re-encoding, and our Engineers are working on this. They have already made some improvements, but we still have a ways to go. Sorry.

Were these files created by TMPGEnc or another encoder?

Regards

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby Steve335 on Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:08 pm

What I find happens often in NVE3 is that after it imports several 1GB DVD-compliant (VOB) files, it freezes during the analyzing process and then I have to terminate NVE3 and start all over again !
Steve335
Buffer Underrun

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:42 pm

Were these files created by TMPGEnc or another encoder?
No,they were done by Recode 2.I only use Recode 2,it's the best I've used and I won't switch.I figured I try for fun and strip the Main Title of the dvd and then I could add a basic menu for fun but it was taking the entire length of the Title.I've used NVE to do SVCD menus and that also took the length of the track.It did work though,no problems playing.Reason why I bring this subject up is TMPG doesn't let me put a music track in the menu (music playing while your looking at the menu).I remember NVE letting me do this a few times to svcd's and the quality was great.I just thought it was strange that NVE took this long.I'll try again to make sure though.
What I find happens often in NVE3 is that after it imports several 1GB DVD-compliant (VOB) files, it freezes during the analyzing process and then I have to terminate NVE3 and start all over again !
I' haven't encountered this problem yet.

BTW Craig,as per the previous post about the weird recode bug,I d'loaded NVE 30127 and the"remake a dvd" function works fine.I think my PC was the issue.
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:18 pm

Hi NoSmartz,

Glad to here your other issue has been resolved.

When you say you 'Strip the Main Title' from a DVD, I assume the DVD is not protected since Nero Recode can not bypass CSS. :)

So you are using the 'Remake a DVD' option. Is the main title larger than a 4.3gig disc, and thereby causing Nero Recode to re-quantizie the video to allow it to fit onto a 4.3gig disc?

The reason I ask is that I need the exact steps you take, so that we can use those same steps and duplicate the issue. Once we can duplicate it, we can see what's going on and see if it can be resolved.

Regards

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:17 pm

The title could be from a protected or non protected and get the same results.I use Recode to just strip the main title and then run it through NVE/Make Dvd/Dvd-Video/Add video Files(main title .vob files)/Select Menu/Preview/Burn Options and then hit Burn.I've tried this process previously and it took forever to "Re-Encode" with the new menu etc...I remember also at the time I tried it,there were other posts and ?'s from others about the same issue.
Does NVE 3 take any less or more time to encode a movie and new menus than TMPG?Can you give me an idea how long it's suppose to take?If you can,I'll troubleshoot this until I figure it out.

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:37 pm

Hi NoSmartz,

To be honest, I've not done this exact process since NVE2, so I'm testing this now to see what results we get, and to see if the log file shows it's reencoding the whole video.

I'm going to do it first without any chapters or audio in the Menu. Just add the Main Title, create Menu, and burn. So I can see how long it takes and if it's re-encoding the whole movie.

Once I have those Results, I'll try with Chapters and then with Audio for the Menu.

I'll get back to you with the results.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:44 pm

I appreciate it Craig.I have a new DL burner and I want to put 2 small(in minutes) movies on one disc and add some music and a basic menu structure and that's why I ask.If I can accomplish this in a reasonable amonut of time with NVE 3,I'm onboard with NVE.

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:29 pm

having any luck Craig?
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:38 pm

Nope. :-(

I'm going to try on another system. It does appear to be re-encoding the whole file, but my first attempt yesterday generated a failed encode, and the current one has been going since early this morning, and is just hung now.

I'll use a smaller source file to speed up the process so I can get a log file that will be useful for me when reporting this problem.

If I do not have audio for the menu, all is fine and it the Encoding is quick as it only has to deal with the Chapters.

Hope to have more news tomorrow.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:07 am

Thumbs up for the effort Craig.You oughta just use a really small video file for your tests though(so you don't have to wait all day).That seems strange that it takes a long time just to add chapters and audio though.I will say that the menus I have created with NVE were very easy to create and functional.The functionality(or GUI) of NVE is just way easy.I like simple things.
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:56 pm

Yeah, normally I do start small and work my way up, but I was not expecting this to happen.

I'll be expanding my tests today onto other machines and using other source files to try and isolate what I am seeing. I need to come at this from a number of angles to make sure this is not a system issue, and to help isolate the 'cause', or at least the exact steps to duplicate it before generating a bug report. Otherwise it just delays the resolution prococess.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:45 am

Much appreciation for the effort Craig.I'll be watching for the results.Kinda odd though that no-one has mentioned this topic to Nero before.Oh well,it's there now.

Thanx
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)