Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Reading from burned Memorex DVD+RW problem...

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Reading from burned Memorex DVD+RW problem...

Postby freeloader on Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:56 pm

I had archived some files onto a Memorex DVD+RW. I am now ready to update the contents of the disc. I want to copy its contents to my h/d first, but am having problems.

WinExp hangs when trying to copy a few of the files. Eventually I get an error about cyclic redundancy.

When I hold the backside of the disc in strong direct sunlight at a certain angle, I can see a few dark spots and streaks on the dye surface. At least some of them seem to be associated with some small not very bad scratches on the surface of the clear plastic, a very small, short, light single scratch located on the edge of a fairly large round spot. It 's almost as if the plastic near the scratch has gone through some change and is casting a shadow on the dye surface.

I am stumped as to what the problem is. Is anyone aware what is happening with this disc?
Thx for any help with this.
FF
freeloader
Buffer Underrun

Postby Wesociety on Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:27 am

Sounds like a defect in the disc/dye construction.
Unfortunately you may have lost your data and you should definitely not use this disc again.
You can try recovering your data by attempting to copy the contents back on different drives, as some drives are better readers than others.
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:05 pm

Hi freeloader.

You can download and use IsoBuster.It can extract data from bad discs,if the damage is not extensive.

::Pranav::
Increasingly mathematics will demand the courage to face its implications.
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby freeloader on Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:11 am

It is an odd thing with that disc. I tried buffing the clear surface with a CD buffing appliance. The scratches are gone but the spotting is still there. Out of a spindle of 25 DVD+RWs this is the only one to do this. I think it's a throwaway.
I will give Iso Buster a try to see if it can save the bad files.
Thx guys.
FF
freeloader
Buffer Underrun

Same thing here....

Postby Wolfy on Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:33 pm

Hi,

This is my first post here - in fact I just joined after landing here off a Google search for the 'dark spots' problem. I have it too and it's rather annoying. Has anyone determined if it's a problem with the burner, media, software, etc or just what is causing this? I'm making a set of 10 DVDs. Of those, 2 work in home DVD players. That's an 80% failure rate. I, too, notice when shining a flashlight on the burn surface, you can see small dark spots in various places and also dark streaks. I've learned now to look at each burn surface when done burning and if either of the above is seen, chuck it in the trash, cuz it's a coaster. Does anyone know what the cause is?

Thanks for any help,

Mike
Wolfy
Buffer Underrun

Postby freeloader on Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:34 am

Hi Wolfy:
Not to wish you any bad luck, but I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble with media.

I have no idea of what is causing the dark spots om the DVD, but I'm sure it's the media not the burner.

Now, I've recently had problems with burning audio CDs where the last few tracks would havd noises very similar to the pops and cracks on old vilyl recordings. That may be the burner. I'm not sure.
Then, just yesterday, I couldn't get a floppy to format. Put a new one in and it worked fine.
I seem to have had a lot of problems with media of all type recently. Is it simply lousy media or 'pilot error'? Personally I think it's lousy media.
FF
freeloader
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers