Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Error to restore (nrestore 1.03) my NERO backup

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Error to restore (nrestore 1.03) my NERO backup

Postby plec on Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:40 am

I have made a backup (7 DVD's) with Nero CD backup restore v 1.03.
Now I'm trying to restore these file's and got the next errors:
write error: sector not found write error on destionation harddisk (LBA)
last written block = 62
I've run nrestore.exe in DOS-modus.
I have also let nrestore the chose of the partition to put the backup.

On the backup disk:
NTFS CHS (9732:1:1)
LBA (156344643)
Size (143942337) blk

I bougth a second harddisk. I've tried to restore my backup on the original harddisk (160 GB Seagate) again. With no result.

Do you have some suggestions to restore my data? Or to read the data of the *.dat-files?

Thanks,
Peter
plec
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:58 pm

You've tried to do the restore on two different hard drives? The original and a new Hard Drive?

ANd the new Hard drive is the same size or larger than the original?

And you get the same exact error message on both hard drives?

Regards

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

2 harddisks - restoring at original

Postby plec on Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:45 am

Craig,

I bought a new harddrive, where I first restore my backup. The size of my new hardrive is 200 GB (Maxtor) instead of 160 Gb (Seagate) of the original harddisk.

Peter
plec
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:21 pm

Hi Peter,

What version of Nero BackItUp did you use to create the backup discs with?

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Versions

Postby plec on Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:56 pm

I used version 1.03 of nrestore and it was Nero 6.0.017d.

P
plec
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:10 pm

Hi Peter,

I've not forgotten your issue, but I need to run some tests with the older version of BackItUp to see if I can duplicate this issue. I am not able to duplicate this issue with the last two versions of Nero BackItUp when doing a restore.

I hope to get this done by the end of the week at the latest.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Txs

Postby plec on Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:48 pm

Craig,

I'm looking forward to your suggestions.

Regards,
Peter
plec
Buffer Underrun

Same problem

Postby hondomoore on Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:35 pm

:evil: Yep I'm having the same problem, emailed nero a week ago and used there info tool kit to give them my system info. I changed MB and tried to restore but it failed. Wouldn't this be a majority of time when you need to do backup? Is there any program out there to uncompress and disect files that have a DAT extension? If any one can offer info It would be appreciated!!! or any other ideas.

kevin
hondomoore
Buffer Underrun

Dat-files not to read

Postby plec on Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:40 am

Kevin,

I asked the same questions at several forums. But nobody give me the right answers. What did Nero suggest you?

Peter
plec
Buffer Underrun

restore

Postby hondomoore on Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:23 pm

Just got contacted by them, asking for more details about the problems i'am having, maybe I'll get an answere sooon!!!

kevin
hondomoore
Buffer Underrun

These are the answers from Nero-helpdesk...

Postby plec on Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:06 am

Dear valued Customer,

Thank you for your email.

Thanks for that information, originally how many partitions were ther on this system?

1) If you just backup your files the system must contain an operating system as well as Nero
installed
and to restore your files You must select the backup file (.nbi) from the last backup CD/DVD
using the wizard option to restore your files

2) If you selected the option to backup your system, First you must install your original
operating system from the Microsoft installation CD. For example, Windows XP, Windows 2000, etc.
Then install the Nero 6 software. And then you can insert the last CD/DVD of the series you
created with Nero BackItUp and begin restoring using the Nero BackItUp Restore feature.

3) If you used the backup drive feature to backup the hard drive or partition, With your system
powered off, simply place the very first CD/DVD of the backup series of discs you created in the
CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, or Recorder. Then power up your system and make sure the computers BIOS is set
up to Boot to the drive you have the disc in. (See your computers manual on how to set this in
its BIOS.) The system will boot from the first recovery disc and provide an interface for
restoring your backup.
plec
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:18 pm

Hi Plec,

I'm still trying to duplicate your reported problem. I've not had any succes so far.

As for a tool to open/extract the Dat file contents, I do not have any solution at this time other than the normal process of restoring that is.

I'll respond back once I have a better idea as to why your backup process completed with success, but you are unable to restore.

Regards

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

restore

Postby hondomoore on Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:59 pm

I've tried booting up on 1st dvd, no luck. I've reinstalled xp, nero program and then running back up, no luck. There is no nbi file extension on any of the disks that I have had the backup files on!! They only have a dat extension
hondomoore
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:01 pm

Hi Plec,

Sorry for the long delay in responding to this issue, but I had to do a number of tests with the older BackItUp 1.03 and the new versions of BackItUp.

But after numerous tests on a number of computers, using both XP and W2k just in case, I was not able to duplicate this issue. I've tried with 5 different model recorders, but only three brands of DVD -/+R media

In every case, I was able to restore the backups without problems as long as the hard drive was the same size as the original, or larger.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

And now...

Postby plec on Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:46 am

Hey Craig,

Strange. I have my original harddisk free. I will try it again. Could you help me, if I make some screenshots of the steps I made?
When I made my backup the harddisk had 3 partitions. I don't know exactly the specific volumes/sizes of the harddisk. Do you know if that is the problem?

Thanks a lot,
Peter
plec
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:29 pm

Hi Peter,

Yes, I would be more than happy to help with the process. You can contact me through this forum, or directly at techsupport4@nero.com

As for the 3 partitions, did you backup all three partitions or just one?

When you do a restore, we are doing a Sector by sector restore, so we restore the partitions for you. You do not need to create or format any partitions before you begin the restore process on any Hard Drive. Any existing partitions should be lost on the Hard Drive you are restoring too.

Regards

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Same same

Postby hondomoore on Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:02 am

1. Ok then my question is when I go to the dos prompt within the xp windows, (you can only get to the prompt within a shell of the windows program). I get a harddisk in use error message from the nero restore program. I got an email from nero in germany to just go to the dos prompt and the program will basically do everthing else. Because that dosen't work either.
2. So how are you getting nero to get past the disk in use error message to start the restore program going, from within windows?
3. Option 2 is when I boot off the 1st dvd to start the restore process, a clean boot, xp or 98 installed, then I get all the way thru the restore process, and reboot the system. It can't find the boot strap or the os to start up properly, I can cheat and look at the hd and the system is restored from the proper date that I did the restore. I'm thinking the files would look and behave just like they were before the process. there are 25 files on the disk but not readable or usable.
Again my orignial os is 98 with an xp upgrade, 40mb hd, 22 md of data on the restore files. and I tried so many ways to restore this that I probably not explaning things clearly or all the details to get past this problem. Origanlly I did a complete back up of the hard drive, and also I've installed just the os xp and nero, 98 and nero to start the restore thru the program it self, that is when I get the message that it needs an .nbi extension file that is not on the 1st or last disk of the back up disks!
I will look forward to hearing from you to help me straighten this out and I'm probably missing a very simple step, but it behouves me!
hondomoore
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:19 pm

Hi Hondomore,

Sorry, but your last posting is kinda confusing to me. You state that you restored only Nero and XP, 98 and Nero??? Do you have more than one backup?

How did you do the backup? Did you choose the option in Nero BackItUp for Drive Backup which does a sector by sector backup of a partition(s), and restores sector by sector. It also creates a Bootable disc to restore from.

Or did you use the 'Backup' option which only backs up the files on your system, but does not create a Bootable disc and does not backup the BootSector and all for a 'complete' restore of the Hard Drive.

And what version of Nero BackItUp did you use for this process?

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby plec on Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:26 pm

Hi Craig,

I backup “my documents” on the c-drive. But when I restore, as you described, I get the same error.

---------------------------------------------------
last written block = 62

On the backup disk:
LBA (156344643)
Size (143942337) blk

Could I upload you the first disk? Or send you a copy?
I also send you this mail at techsupport4 etc.

Regards,
Peter
plec
Buffer Underrun

response

Postby hondomoore on Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:51 pm

No, what I mean is that I installed 98 and nero and tried restore, and I reformated and installed xp and nero and tried to restore. that is when I get an error message from the nero program that says the hard disk is in use. I have also just fromated disk and rebooted the computer from the 1st back up disk, nrestore runs, backsup all the disks but I can't get the hd to boot or am I able to use any of the files that have been restored!

The option I believe I used was to restore the whole hd, programs and files! and yes I have allowed it to reinstall the boot sector and it won't boot from that,

I'm using version 1.03

any help you can...kevin
hondomoore
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:00 pm

plec wrote:Hi Craig,

I backup “my documents” on the c-drive. But when I restore, as you described, I get the same error.

last written block = 62

On the backup disk:
LBA (156344643)
Size (143942337) blk

Could I upload you the first disk? Or send you a copy?
I also send you this mail at techsupport4 etc.

Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes, I think you should send me the disc's so I can have a look at them and see if I am able to restore them, or maybe atleast recover them and provide you with a working backup.

I'll send you a personal Email on Monday with my shipping address information.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Re: response

Postby CCampbell on Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:06 pm

hondomoore wrote:No, what I mean is that I installed 98 and nero and tried restore, and I reformated and installed xp and nero and tried to restore. that is when I get an error message from the nero program that says the hard disk is in use. I have also just fromated disk and rebooted the computer from the 1st back up disk, nrestore runs, backsup all the disks but I can't get the hd to boot or am I able to use any of the files that have been restored!

The option I believe I used was to restore the whole hd, programs and files! and yes I have allowed it to reinstall the boot sector and it won't boot from that,

I'm using version 1.03

any help you can...kevin

Hi Kevin,

Ok, so you did a Hard Drive Backup. Then you can not restore from Windows or any other system. You must do as you indicated at the end where you boot to the First disc and do a sector by sector restore.

But you are getting no error messages, unlike 'Plec', your restore is succesful in that sense. But when you try and boot, it fails to boot to the disc. If you boot to a DOS Floppy, do you see all the files restored to your Hard Drive? Just wondering if the data is there, but the bootsector is not. Because of the data is there, and easy way to recover your files would be to reinstall Windows over your 'existing' version. You would loose all presets and programs, but your data will not be lost and will be accesable and you can reinstall your programs. Otherwise, we may have to have you send me copies of your originals so I can see what is going on as well, just like Peter.

Regards

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Finally!!!

Postby hondomoore on Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:15 pm

I finally got my files back, man, what a process! OK the files were on there but no way to open them up. If I installed xp it would erase them.

It would not make my drive bootable, even though it asked if I wanted to!

So I took my drive out of my second puter and set it up as a slave in my first. I let it do scancheck when booting up to windows and it restored all the files on my second drive, it took about 4 minutes ot cycle thru all the files. I would think the program should be alot easier to use then what I and other people have to go thru! Perhaps more explicate instructions thru the process and why!

Thanks for what info you offered to help me piece it thru!

kevin
hondomoore
Buffer Underrun

Postby Syzygy on Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:01 pm

Is there any reason why someone who has Norton Ghost would even want to experiment with BackItUp? No sarcasm intended; I just would like to know.
— Frank
Syzygy
Buffer Underrun

Postby ntropy on Tue May 10, 2005 9:27 pm

Syzygy wrote:Is there any reason why someone who has Norton Ghost would even want to experiment with BackItUp? No sarcasm intended; I just would like to know.

Nero Backitup will create CD/DVDs where you can see the files on the disk without opening a Ghost archive.

Here's a question:

If backup DVD #21 of 40 got damaged, could either program just redo DVD #21 or do all 40 have to be redone?
ntropy
Buffer Underrun

Next

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)