Home News Reviews Forums Shop

CDRW drive starting to die????

Burn baby burn!

CDRW drive starting to die????

Postby club_ice on Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:59 pm

I have an LG GCE-8320B CDRW drive, and although I do not use it as much as I use to, since I have a DVD RW drive now, the CDRW drive does have faster burn speeds.

Anyways yesterday, I burned a CDRW disc of some personal files, and then put them into my LG 16X DVD ROM drive and every file was corrupted or coudln't be accessed, some were ZIP archives and those couldn't be opened. The message was CRC header incorrect. Nero said that the disc was burnt successfully.

I then put the disc back into the CDRW drive, and it works fine in there. I then reburned the disc using the DVD RW drive and it works fine in the LG 16X drive, so I am wondering, is my CDRW drive on its way out?
club_ice
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:19 am

Perhaps, perhaps not. Before throwing away the GCE-8320B, I would try burning a different branded CD-RW disc. I would also use ScanDisc Nero CD-DVD Speed to check for errors on the disc.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:37 am

Hmm tricky. I first will put 3 questions in return.

Who has made the media. (What's the atip code. Since I only trust MCC technology when it comes to cd-rw's all other media has known to be problematic at some point much earlier as it should be.)

Under what conditions was the media stored ?
Did it encounter some temperature changes ?

Let me say this my old Philips discman could read cd-rw's that non of my drive could read any more after the cold screwed up the cd-rw's.
Some worked again after reformatting and some ended up as coasters.

So I wouldn't put it on the drive alone.
Still my Philips 3610 did show first problems with cd-rw's when it started to become problematic.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Oleg on Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:33 pm

I have the same drive replaced 3 time and it's still makes scratchy noise when speending on high speed :cry:
Oleg
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives