Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Hub Printable (Full Face) Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD+Rs

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Hub Printable (Full Face) Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD+Rs

Postby epineda on Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:50 pm

I usually stick to TYs, but I just bought a Epson R200, so now I'm looking to buy hub printable DVD+Rs. I haven't been able to find any 8X DVD+R TYs that are hub printable.

Does anyone know of where I can buy them?
If they don't exist, can anyone recommend what the next best hub printable 8X DVD+R would be (i.e Ritek G02/03/04, Verbatim, etc.)?
epineda
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:37 pm

I can have 'em custom made for you if you like :wink:

of course, you'd need to order probably 5 or 10 thousand minimum :roll:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby pinballnut on Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:14 pm

I have ty dvd-r that are hub printable, just looked were i got them from they dont have + sorry
pinballnut
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:34 pm

I don't think you'll find them anywhere in North America.... unless someone decides to take me up on my offer :P

Taiyo Yuden 8x DVDRs aren't brought into North America with an inkjet printable to the hub surface... they're pretty much all made to custom orders.

It just so happens that I know the places in North America who do this :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:48 am

I've noticed on Yahoo Japan Auctions that there are now That's branded wide-printable TY 8x DVD-R spindles for sale; maybe we'll see these in the US at Rima and the like soon.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:30 am

Gen-An wrote:I've noticed on Yahoo Japan Auctions that there are now That's branded wide-printable TY 8x DVD-R spindles for sale; maybe we'll see these in the US at Rima and the like soon.

We can already get DVD-R white inkjet printable to the hub.... it's DVD+R that is the problem....

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:32 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:
Gen-An wrote:I've noticed on Yahoo Japan Auctions that there are now That's branded wide-printable TY 8x DVD-R spindles for sale; maybe we'll see these in the US at Rima and the like soon.

We can already get DVD-R white inkjet printable to the hub.... it's DVD+R that is the problem....

You mentioned the hub printables are being done here in the US, and they only seem to be available in 100 disc packs. I was talking of hub-printable done by TY, in normal TY 50 disc tubs.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby seaegg on Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:09 am

You can always buy Verbatim Datalife Plus 8x DVD+R Hub inkjet Printable. I find their printable surface is a lot better than the TYs and it's not like they're poor media. I buy them all the time and have no complaints. Now we're on that subject my sister was telling me Costco and Sams Club are selling 50 spindles of TDK inkjet printable DVDs for 20 something US dollars. Anyone know if those are the photo quality ones I've been reading about? If they are I might ask her to send me a spindle to try out.
Scientia Est Potentia
seaegg
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:35 am

Gen-An wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:

You mentioned the hub printables are being done here in the US, and they only seem to be available in 100 disc packs. I was talking of hub-printable done by TY, in normal TY 50 disc tubs.

It's not likely... the price of getting them done in the U.S. is quite a bit cheaper then ordering them from Taiyo Yuden.... and the ONLY reason we get such a good price on Taiyo Yuden in North America is because most shipments are absolutely huge orders of one product (or 2 including DVD+R) and then various surfaces are added later locally.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby epineda on Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:32 pm

So its unlikely that hub printable TY +Rs will ever be available in the US unless a reseller puts in an enormous special order for it?

As for the Verbatims is there a thread or a website that ranks the general quality of the different brands of media? For example, TY would be ranked number 1, Verbatim #2, Ritek (or whatever) #3.

I am using a Benq 1620 with the latest firmware.
epineda
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:37 pm

epineda wrote:So its unlikely that hub printable TY +Rs will ever be available in the US unless a reseller puts in an enormous special order for it?

As for the Verbatims is there a thread or a website that ranks the general quality of the different brands of media? For example, TY would be ranked number 1, Verbatim #2, Ritek (or whatever) #3.

I am using a Benq 1620 with the latest firmware.

I would say that we will see custom made Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+Rs with inkjet printable to the hub surfaces, as soon as the remaining stock of NON hub printable inkjet discs runs out :wink:

As for a list of different media types showing the quality of each disc.... I don't think any such list actually exists that is accurate. Attempts are made on a regular basis, but they are often messed up, or out of date.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby epineda on Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:40 pm

So there will never be hub printable and non-hub printable available at the same time?

Also, if someone could clarify something for me. I want to use DVD+Rs because the booktype can be set to DVD-ROM, which supposedly increases compatibility in DVD players. I read somewhere that some TY DVD-Rs already have the booktype set to DVD-ROM. Is this possible? There was some questions about whether or not the media was fake TY or not. Are there some DVD-Rs that have the booktype set to DVD-ROM? I thought it had to be set when the dvd was burned, not when the blank media was manufactured.
epineda
Buffer Underrun

Postby rdgrimes on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:46 am

Looks like things have changed:
HERE
Current drives running here: ND-2500A, ND-3500A, ND-3520A,
LTR-52327S, SOHW-1633S, SOHR-52A8S
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:54 am

Ahh good! That means I won't have to order tens of thousands for a custom print job :D

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers