Home News Reviews Forums Shop

ASUS CRW-5232A-T SATA vs IDE

Burn baby burn!

ASUS CRW-5232A-T SATA vs IDE

Postby icn on Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:39 am

Although I doubt anyone knows much about this new CD-RW SATA Drive I was actually wondering what would happen to their current IDE drive of this same type? Are there any real differences in the CD-ROMs which would cause ASUS to release a newer version of the IDE 52X or is this SATA drive basically identical to this drive but with a different interface? I plan on purchasing this drive (IDE), and quite a few of them, and dont want to buy a version which might get replaced by a slightly better one in a month or so.

Buying CD-ROM hardware is confusing somewhat. I buy a LiteOn SOHR-5238S one week, and then two weeks later they release 5239S. Then later on everyone tells me the older model 27S or something was better and that the new LiteOns are made with a cheaper chipset to save on manufacturing costs. Then my LiteOn breaks and due to their flimsy construction I've given up on that company all together. Then right when I was about to buy the ASUS drives today I read an article that says ASUS is releasing a newer version of their 52X CD-RW (for SATA) which delays my purchasing decision even more because I dont want to buy an IDE version which might get a slight revision. OH HELP ME LORD!
icn
Buffer Underrun

Postby margrave on Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:46 pm

Dude, that's the reality of the tech business, no matter what you buy now you can be sure something better will be along next week. Quit worrying about it. Just buy what you like today and enjoy using it :D . If you always wait for a better model, you'll end up waiting forever.
margrave
Buffer Underrun

Postby icn on Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:19 pm

I know. I was planning on buying them but ASUS came out with a similiar model this week. They could get a slight nudge in performance or they might not and I was wondering if anyone knew if there was going to be any new models being released for the IDE version. If I was buying just one I wouldnt mind but I'm buying around four of them.

I bought the ND-3500 in November because Plextor was having problems with their drive back then. Then I bought a Plextor last month and it works great. I already have a few 52X CDRWs that work fine for me as it is and its not technically a big rush but it never hurts to know if something new might come out in a week.
icn
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:38 pm

icn,

The CRW-5232A-T isn't the same as the drive you emailed me about. It's a combo drive (DVD-ROM and CD-RW). Not just not a CD-RW.

Kinda dumb that the names are so similar... :roll:
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby icn on Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:35 pm

I know they arent the same drive but they are basically the same. Just like the Plextor 716A and 716SA are nearly the same I think. I am just curious if the internals of these two drives are identical (except the combo part of course). All I do is write to CDRs so that is my only concern. I just dont want to get stuck in the middle of a 5238S to a 5239S bump like I did a month ago.
icn
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:04 am

No, totally different. The 716A and 716SA are both DVD writers and use the same chipset.

The CRW-5232A-T is a combo drive. The CRW-5232A is a CD-RW. It's very likely you'll see different performance between the two.

I've been out of the loop as far as new CD-RW drives go, but the CRW-5232A/AS was a pretty good drive when I reviewed it. I'm guessing ASUS has taken the time to tweak it even further.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives