Home News Reviews Forums Shop

BEnQ 1600 PRO

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

BEnQ 1600 PRO

Postby mikepraba on Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:49 am

Hi Folks,
I have been doing a lot of reserach on the drive lately. Seems like one of the best drive in the market. By reading the threads her and also from official BENQ website its evident there are two versions of this drive, one is 1620 and other one 1620 Pro. Also so many F/W released for this drive. Can anyone tell me what is the difference between BenQ 1620 and BenQ 1620 pro? Also, I heard there is anew model BenQ 1625 coming with -/+ DL and Lightscribe. Can anyone clarify this? IS benQ adding DVD-R DL in the new drive?
mikepraba
CD-RW Thug

Re: BEnQ 1600 PRO

Postby Bhairav on Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:29 pm

mikepraba wrote:Hi Folks,
I have been doing a lot of reserach on the drive lately. Seems like one of the best drive in the market. By reading the threads her and also from official BENQ website its evident there are two versions of this drive, one is 1620 and other one 1620 Pro. Also so many F/W released for this drive. Can anyone tell me what is the difference between BenQ 1620 and BenQ 1620 pro? Also, I heard there is anew model BenQ 1625 coming with -/+ DL and Lightscribe. Can anyone clarify this? IS benQ adding DVD-R DL in the new drive?

1620 Pro is the 1620 with a free firmware update (B7P9 and later) with 4X +R DL speeds. The 1625 is a retrograde step for Benq, with 16X +R and 8X -R speeds, and 2.4X +R DL only. NO -R DL. Lightscribe is included as well, of course.
There is a review of the 1625 up here: www.hardwarezone.com
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby DVD_ADDICT on Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:20 pm

there are two versions of this drive, one is 1620 and other one 1620 Pro. Also so many F/W released for this drive.

The only difference is the 1620 PRO is RETAIL drive and the regular 1620 is a OEM version of the drive. there is no hardware difference with both drives. if you get the OEM version of the drive you can use the official BENQ FIRMWARE so the drive becomes 4x DUAL LAYER DVD+R. Usually the OEM drives come with "G" firmware. the RETAIL drives usually come with the "B" firmware. You can crossflash the drive from a "G" firmware to "B" firmware. Here's the link to crossflash the drive:
http://dvdpro.club.st/firmware/BENQ_FW.htm

you need to download the WinDWFLASH.exe file and the B7P9 cvt. file. you could also use the other firmwares like B7S9. B7P9 is what I use with no problems. you can flash the drive in windows or in safe mode. make sure you have no disc in the BENQ, turn off all the programs running in the background such as antivirus software. then double click on the WinDXFLASH.exe file, direct it to the cvt. file and let it flash the drive. it will tell you when the flash is done. reboot the pc and your drive is crossflashed to "B" firmware. some people reboot the pc twice. the "G" & "B" firmwares are supposedly the same. just OEM is "G" firmware and "B" is RETAIL. hope you understand and check out the BENQ FORUM at CDFREAKS.COM. :)
DVD_ADDICT
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:37 pm

DVD_ADDICT wrote:The only difference is the 1620 PRO is RETAIL drive and the regular 1620 is a OEM version of the drive.

That's not true- they're both available as retail versions. I saw both variants in a nice shiny box at a local store today (price difference 3€).
DVD_ADDICT wrote: there is no hardware difference with both drives.

That (and the rest) probably is true.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Return to DVD Writers