Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Verbatim DVD-RW 4x in Canada?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Verbatim DVD-RW 4x in Canada?

Postby diskdocx on Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:49 pm

Just wondering if anyone has seen these anywhere in Canada - retail store or online.

I ordered them from Staples.ca, but when they arrived they were 1-2x not the 2-4x as displayed on the box.

So, has anyone got any sources???
diskdocx
Buffer Underrun

Postby GTMan on Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:19 pm

I ordered (and received) the Verbatim ultra-speed plus 16x-24x CD-RW discs from Staples.ca. If you have an ultra-speed + drive then I would go for those.
GTMan
Buffer Underrun

YUPPERS

Postby shaun on Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:35 pm

My Staples, in the backwoods of Ontario has the 4x -RW on the shelves... And if my Staples has it...the whole world must have it :)

blankmedia.ca has the 4x -RW Riteks which aren't too bad...and the price is right :)
"Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy"
shaun
CD-RW PiMP

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:27 pm

Maxell is going to release their own 4x DVD-RWs soon I think too... it's taken long enough! They'll probably be a Verbatim OEM or an Optodisc OEM. It'll be someone with certified RWs, THAT'S for sure (which rules out Ritek).
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:13 am

Hey Ritek +RW's are certified (that's 2.4x /4x and 8x (!)) something I can not say for Optodisc 4x +RW. So first check your fact befor makeing statements !!

http://www.licensing.philips.com/servic ... codes.html
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:30 am

RJW wrote:Hey Ritek +RW's are certified (that's 2.4x /4x and 8x (!)) something I can not say for Optodisc 4x +RW. So first check your fact befor makeing statements !!

http://www.licensing.philips.com/servic ... codes.html

Since the subject line was referring to 4x DVD-RWs, I was assuming that was all that was being discussed, and didn't include +RW in my above though processes. Of course I know that Optodisc 4x DVD+RWs are not certified, and that Ritek's +RWs are... just not their -RWs :wink: (well, not 4x DVD-RWs...).
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby diskdocx on Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:26 am

Yeah, I was looking for the 4x -RW. I do have a bunch of 2.4x and 4x +RW, which my xbox and Pioneer DVD recorder read just fine, but my PS2 and RCA standalone are a bit more particular about media. The Verbatim 1x DVD-RW read well, but a hour to burn a full DVD is too long to wait!!

Be interested to know where in Ontario that backwoods Staples was...Might be worth a road trip!
diskdocx
Buffer Underrun

Postby RJW on Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:12 pm

I suggest you to buy MCC or TDK or JVC rewritables.
PS2 is very picky when it comes to rewritables.
Looks like you got a old model because newer ones can work with Mitsubishi 4x DVD+RW.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby diskdocx on Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:24 pm

RJW wrote:I suggest you to buy MCC or TDK or JVC rewritables.
PS2 is very picky when it comes to rewritables.
Looks like you got a old model because newer ones can work with Mitsubishi 4x DVD+RW.

Actually, the PS2 is a version 7, and its pretty good for reading almost anything I throw at it - most PS2 won't read DVDRW at all. I do find video a bit sketchy on it though, esp with the DVD+RW, which are now almost 2 years old and have been re-written numerous times.

The reason I wanted the Verbatim was that my burner (DRU710) is absolute garbage, and Verbatim is one of the few brands it will actually burn reliably, and which both the PS2 and RCA will read.
diskdocx
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers