Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DVD-RAM media compatibility, pls help

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM media compatibility, pls help

Postby wernehawen on Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:41 am

Hi everyone, new to this forum. I hope you can help me clarify some doubts that i have regarding dvd-ram media for lg gsa-4163b drive which i had just purchased.

Together with the drive, i also bought a type 1 TDK dvd-ram 9.4Gb media which is not compatible with my drive (well, i didn't research thoroughly enough apparently eventhough i know there r media with cartridges n some r removable.) Anyway, what i want to know is whether type II and type IV dvd-ram medias r fully compatible with my LG drive? And whether i can use both medias which r cartridgeless and those which comes without a cartridge?

Thanks in advance!

regards.
wernehawen
Buffer Underrun

Postby Scour on Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:29 am

Hello!

I use Verbatim, Primedisc, Panasonic DVD-RAM ver. 2.1. All without cartridges, works without problems in my LG 4082
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby Boba_Fett on Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:42 pm

There should be instructions that came with your cartridged DVD-RAM media that tell you how to disassemble it to get to the media inside of it. I take DVD-RAM disks out of their cartridges all the time and they work just like a normal DVD-RAM (both sides).
eVGA NF4 SLI mobo
Opteron 165 Dual Core 1MB cache @ 2.5ghz
2GB Mushkin DDR PC4000
2x160GB & 1x250GB 7,200RPM SATA w/NCQ
eVGA Geforce 7900 GTO 512MB PCI-e
Pioneer 111D 16x DVD burner
Onboard Sound :(
Boba_Fett
CD-RW Player

Postby wernehawen on Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:42 am

well, the dvd-ram media i got was a type I, which means the disk inside is not removable. When you say u always disassemble the cartridge, do you mean breaking the cartridge? Well, it certainly didn;t come with instructions to get the disk out, with it being a type I media, i dun think that's it's intended use.

However, i did go back to the shop and had it exchanged cos it was the shops fault in the first place by recommending it to me. Have to wait though, as they have to order it.

But i still need clarification on my original post. Hope someone can help as i have searched online but to no avail and the lg manual doesn't say a thing!
wernehawen
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:11 am

wernehawen wrote:well, the dvd-ram media i got was a type I, which means the disk inside is not removable. When you say u always disassemble the cartridge, do you mean breaking the cartridge? Well, it certainly didn;t come with instructions to get the disk out, with it being a type I media, i dun think that's it's intended use.

With some cartridges, you can remove the disc. You don't need to break it either.

Check meritline. They have plenty of Type II discs without cartridges and even more that are removable.

http://www.meritline.com/dvd-ram-blank- ... -mini.html
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby wernehawen on Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:17 am

Well, i am currently living in europe so it wouldn't make economic sense for me to buy from US.

However, i am wondering whether type IV discs r fully compatible with my drive (lg gsa4163B)?
wernehawen
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:14 am

wernehawen wrote:However, i am wondering whether type IV discs r fully compatible with my drive (lg gsa4163B)?

I've never tried them with LG's drives. I don't see why not. You'd just have to flip em over to read the second side.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby wernehawen on Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:15 am

thanks a lot. It eases my mind when buying dvd-ram medias now. I wonder y there isn't any information avialable online or from the drive's manufacturer dvd-ram types compatiblity. At least something to educate us new users.
wernehawen
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:01 pm

why don't you try contacting LG customer support/technical support and ask them ?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby wernehawen on Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:26 pm

now tat's a thought! how come i had nvr thought of tat! Now i have to add though that i have been lucky nvr to have come across any problematic hardware in my 23yrs of life, so i guess tech support nvr crossed my mind. Touch wood though.....
wernehawen
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:56 am

well, i've once contacted LG tech support, and while not very quick their reply was helpful.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to DVD Writers