Home News Reviews Forums Shop

InCD destroyed my data

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

InCD destroyed my data

Postby raymod2 on Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:19 pm

For a couple years I have been storing all my important data on a CD-RW using InCD. Things like financial data, legal documents, correspondence, etc. I had been burned by hard drive failures before and I wanted to make sure my critical data was safe.

I was using InCD 3.xx and never had a problem. Then I switched to InCD 4.xx and the problems started. Reading and writing to the CD-RW started taking much longer than it used to. My computer would get very sluggish whenever accessing the drive. Then one day InCD refused to recognize the disc at all. I tried go back to InCD 3.xx but it didn't help. My guess is that InCD 4.xx has corrupted the disc and the data is gone forever. I would advise everyone NOT to use InCD for important data.
raymod2
Buffer Underrun

Postby CowboySlim on Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:04 am

If that was your only copy, your misfortune. Condolences. But that won't get your data back and I have no answer, but for the ounce of prevention.

Regardless of how good or bad InCD is, I trust nothing. Everything I have of value, like family photos and good music (C&W, of course), is backed up on a second hard drive and CD-Rs for double redundancy. I only use InCD as a temporary collection point prior to burning out to CD-Rs.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby raymod2 on Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:34 am

The CD-RW drive I have been using is a Lite-On LTR-52246S (firmware version 6S0F). The disc I have been using came with the drive and is branded by Lite-On.

I remembered that I had another blank CD-RW laying around from several years ago when I bought a sampler pack of optical media. So I thought I'd try using InCD with this disc. I formatted it with the verify box checked and it went suspiciously quickly (maybe a minute). Then I tried copying a 90MB file to the disc. After about 5 minutes I got a bunch of error messages and it looked like only 47MB were copied. So I moved the disc to my DVD-RW drive which is a Plextor PX-708A with firmware version 1.08. I reformatted it in that drive and again it went suspiciously quickly. I tried copying the 90MB file and, again, I got a bunch of error messages partway through. This time, however, the drive itself completely disappeared from Windows Explorer. I could hear the disc spinning in the drive but it wouldn't open when I pressed the eject button. I opened task manager and killed the InCD process but I still couldn't eject the disc. I rebooted the computer (soft boot) and tried ejecting the disc during the POST and it still wouldn't eject (I could still hear it spinning). Finally I hit the power key to shut off the computer, turned it back on, and then I could eject the disc.
raymod2
Buffer Underrun

InCD

Postby bimbla on Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:35 pm

Totally give up Packet writing. InCD or Drag-to-Disk. The earlier the better.

Get used to writing multi-session CD's. Remember to tick 'verify writen data' option in Nero!

bimbla.
bimbla
CD-RW Player

Postby Sgt.Torg on Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:28 pm

I totally agree with bimbla on this. Packet writing is just too unreliable - I gave up on it years ago. I backup my important files on DVD+R, and for transporting temporary files between home and office, I use a 512MB USB flash drive.
Sgt.Torg
Sgt.Torg
Buffer Underrun

Postby burninfool on Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:55 pm

I agree,don't use packet writing.
As for the problem use IsoBuster to recover.
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby Steve335 on Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:56 am

I used to get some corrupt files on the disc when using InCD 4. I realized that this was due to Norton Anti-Virus scanning the files and corrupting some of them when they were being copied to the disc. Since disabling the Anti-Virus software when copying files to disc, I didn't notice a corrupt file again.

I thought that InCD 4 verifies files after copying them to disc, otherwise it should have determined the corrupt files, which it didn't.

Maybe Nero and Symantec (authors of Norton Anti-Virus) can fix this bug.

Always make more than one backup of your files!
Steve335
Buffer Underrun

New update to InCD 4

Postby Steve335 on Fri May 06, 2005 5:51 pm

New update to InCD 4 released today.

http://www.nero.com/en/update.php?pak=5
Steve335
Buffer Underrun

Postby dburg on Thu May 26, 2005 3:31 pm

Steve335 wrote:Maybe Nero and Symantec (authors of Norton Anti-Virus) can fix this bug.

Indeed. And our both companies attend the regular IFS Plug Fests at Seattle and work together to resolve interaction issues.
David Burg
Software Development, InCD Project Manager

Nero AG - Im Stoeckmaedle 18
76307 Karlsbad - Germany

fax: +49 (0)7248 928 299 http://www.nero.com
dburg
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)