Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Maxell To Release Double Layer RW Media

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Maxell To Release Double Layer RW Media

Postby Ian on Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:24 am

I don't think we've seen any concrete confirmation as to whether or not double layer RW media was actually going to be produced. According to Maxell, it will:

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/sit ... ewsLang=en

Maxell's double-layer DVD+R media will be followed by a double-layer DVD-R product scheduled for availability in the third quarter of 2005. Rewritable double-layer media products - both DVD+RW and DVD-RW - are planned for availability during the second half of 2005.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:29 am

Wow... I've had Maxell's DVD+RDL media for quite some time... and it's been sold in Europe for almost as long. Nice to see they decided to let us know about it :lol:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Bhairav on Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:23 am

Isn't it MKM001?
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:30 am

DL rewritables sound very enticing! At least they may give the manufacturers another round of DVD-burners before HD/BluRay goes mainstream- or is an upgrade via firmware realistic? I sure hope they'll be faster than 1x, though. :o

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby Ian on Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:57 am

I think they have plenty of time before BR/HD goes mainstream.. like years.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:58 pm

Bhairav wrote:Isn't it MKM001?

Mine is MKM001, newer batches are supposed to be RICOHJPND00.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Alektron on Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:27 pm

Why would the general market need Blue-Ray? If you can store a normal movie on a SL or DL DVD, there won't be a strong driver for Blue-Ray. Sure, some people will want it for enterprise applications, but not the average user. CDs were driven by music, and DVDs by movies. BRD?

But I did read that Playstation3 will have it. Will games actually require over 9GB of storage, or is BlueRay much harder to copy than DVD?
Alektron
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:13 pm

Alektron wrote:But I did read that Playstation3 will have it. Will games actually require over 9GB of storage, or is BlueRay much harder to copy than DVD?

I think that's one reason why Sony is adopting it right away. While most games won't come anywhere near the capacity, they probably figure that the average user won't have a BR burner yet.

One of my biggest pet peeves right now is how the media is telling everyone that BR or HD is going to revolutionize everything over night. Like the shift from VHS to DVD, its going to be a long, drawn out process.. one that didn't really happen until DVD players dropped to about $50.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:46 pm

Ian wrote:
Alektron wrote:But I did read that Playstation3 will have it. Will games actually require over 9GB of storage, or is BlueRay much harder to copy than DVD?

I think that's one reason why Sony is adopting it right away. While most games won't come anywhere near the capacity, they probably figure that the average user won't have a BR burner yet.

One of my biggest pet peeves right now is how the media is telling everyone that BR or HD is going to revolutionize everything over night. Like the shift from VHS to DVD, its going to be a long, drawn out process.. one that didn't really happen until DVD players dropped to about $50.

I think it will take much longer then VHS to DVD... since DVDs had HUGE advantages over VHS, but Blu-Ray is not nearly as significant a change. Frankly, digital to High Definition is nothing compared to going from Analogue to Digital! :D

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby code65536 on Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:16 pm

Now when they talk about "availability", do they mean real availability on store shelves, or phantom brochure availability? ;)

Nevertheless, this sounds very cool. Looking forward to seeing it. :)
code65536
CD-RW Player

Postby seaegg on Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:29 am

I have never seen a Maxell DVD+R DL. It'd be nice to be able to try a couple but alas I live in the Peg.
Scientia Est Potentia
seaegg
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:38 pm

code65536 wrote:Now when they talk about "availability", do they mean real availability on store shelves, or phantom brochure availability? ;)

Nevertheless, this sounds very cool. Looking forward to seeing it. :)

They've been available in London Drugs locations for a while already I think.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby seaegg on Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:07 pm

I'll take a look this weekend thanks.
Scientia Est Potentia
seaegg
CD-RW Player

Postby code65536 on Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:01 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:They've been available in London Drugs locations for a while already I think.

I meant the +RW DL availability. ;)

I wonder if that was just a mistake by their PR dept. It won't be the first time at the PR/mkt. dept. of a major company got wires crossed with the engineers. Haven't heard much about this from the drive makers or from MKM (which made such a big circus out of the release of +R DL), so I've got my Skeptics Hat on. :)
code65536
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:15 am

code65536 wrote:It won't be the first time at the PR/mkt. dept. of a major company got wires crossed with the engineers.

Like when SAA promised non-stop service between JNB & JFK in both directions...never happened, on the contrary, it's actually all 1 stop service via DKR now.
Last edited by aviationwiz on Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:16 am

code65536 wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:They've been available in London Drugs locations for a while already I think.

I meant the +RW DL availability. ;)

I wonder if that was just a mistake by their PR dept. It won't be the first time at the PR/mkt. dept. of a major company got wires crossed with the engineers. Haven't heard much about this from the drive makers or from MKM (which made such a big circus out of the release of +R DL), so I've got my Skeptics Hat on. :)

Don't be TOO surprised if you're wrong :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby seaegg on Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:11 am

Well just as I thought no Maxell DVD+R DLs in my London Drugs. However did find some Fuji DVD+R DLS 2.4X that cost more than the Verbatims. Absolutely amazing Winnipeg prices are. that's why I only buy local in an emergency or when there's a sale too good to pass up otherwise it's strictly online for me.
Scientia Est Potentia
seaegg
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:41 am

About DVD+RW DL. PHilips is presenting and demonstrateing it tomorrow.
CDFREAKS will have some people out there so they might cover it.
Keep a eye on there site for more information.
Last edited by RJW on Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:45 am

seaegg wrote:Well just as I thought no Maxell DVD+R DLs in my London Drugs. However did find some Fuji DVD+R DLS 2.4X that cost more than the Verbatims. Absolutely amazing Winnipeg prices are. that's why I only buy local in an emergency or when there's a sale too good to pass up otherwise it's strictly online for me.

Yeah... I could never survive out there! I need fresh technology or I shrivel up and die :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers