Home News Reviews Forums Shop

the amd lawsuit

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

the amd lawsuit

Postby MonteLDS on Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:12 am

MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:33 am

I'm surprised this hasn't come earlier. At work (my real job) we buy A LOT of stuff from Dell. Like many, we'd like to buy some AMD based workstations and servers. One of our old Dell reps told us an interesting reason why they're staying with Intel.

Why? Intel pays for the bulk of their advertising. That's why you see the big Intel logo at the end of Dell's commercials. While they might sell more computers if they offered AMD systems, they'd risk pissing off Intel and losing out on their ad money and actually make less money in the end.

While I've never heard any of the big conspiracy websites like The Inq mention this, I tend to believe it.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby LoneWolf on Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:52 am

I tend to believe things LESS if the Inq mentions them.

That said, I remember a lot of rumors (which seemed to have some truth in them) about how Intel used to handle supplies of their chipsets to mainboard manufacturers who were making mainboards for Intel CPU's and decided to add AMD mainboards to their market, or alternative (read: VIA) chipset solutions. Suddenly, Intel would claim chipset shortages and the affected vendor would have trouble getting enough supplies to build mainboards (this was in the Super 7 and Socket 370 days). Much harder to do now (in that way, at least) as AMD has gained some marketshare. Intel still wields a pretty huge stick in a lot of ways though, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing a little bit of corporate-style Teddy Roosevelt action with it.[/url]
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden