Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Are you burning Dual Layer? If so..how often?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Are you burning Dual Layer? If so..how often?

Postby aristottle on Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:47 am

Are you burning Dual Layer Media? If you are how often do you burn them...and what is it that you are burning? (Data...Movies?)

I asked this question about 6 months ago and was very surprised at how few DL burner owners were indeed burning Dual layer media......I am curious as to how much that has changed?

It seems to me that $7.00 per blank DL MEDIA is still pretty rich...when 50 packs of single layer media are so affordable.

BTW are there any issues with standalone DVD players being able to read Dual Layer burned DVDs? Are there cases of Dual layer playing or Not playing on machines that worked ok with single layer burned media?
aristottle
CD-RW Player

Postby jberry on Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:44 am

rarely...fun to try...I have the feeling this is just going to slip by and HD will take over for large stuff
jberry
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:58 am

I do from time to time now... only Verbatim and only +RDL, not -RDL (although I can get both now). I will use it for movies/TV shows when I need LOT's on a single disc.

Personally, I think BluRay and HDDVD will be overshadowed by Dual Layer for the next 2-3 years, since the cost will be MUCH cheaper then the any HD class media coming out :o
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:16 pm

Hmm I'm not so sure about that.
HD-DVD doesn't reuire huge investments.
Blu Ray does requiere investements however in the end it's seems to be cheaper to make.
With the 2 formats competting each other and with parties who only support one format I can forsee a price war.
Also it seems to be easier to make a single layer HD-DVD recordable as dual layer recordable.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby aristottle on Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:29 pm

I think if both formats are rolled out you are going to scare the customers away. Nothing that the basic consumer detests more than spending money on a format that does not get supported because a rival came along. Remember DAT disks or digital disks.

I can imagine that dual format DVDs would catch on particularly if the price of the media comes down quickly as it did with Single layer media and CDrs before that or Vhs tapes before that.

As for blue ray vs. HD DVD......I hope the companies are not short sighted enough to bring them both out.....if the they do the customers will vote with thier wallets NOT to buy.

Remember the debates two years ago of DVD+R vs DVD-Rs and the upset customers who in the end got what they wanted......which was dual format burners.
aristottle
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:11 pm

RJW wrote:Hmm I'm not so sure about that.
HD-DVD doesn't reuire huge investments.
Blu Ray does requiere investements however in the end it's seems to be cheaper to make.

From the media manufacturers stand point, you are correct. For consumers though, going either way is going to be costly, at least initially. While DL compatibility isn't perfect.. it at least works with current DVD players.. something BR and HD do not.

Combine DL media with something like AVC/H.264 and you're going to have a very good solution for HD video... at least until next-gen solutions come down in price.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby ItalianJob on Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:17 pm

Burn my first Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4X on the first DL burner (NEC 2510) in mid-2004. It takes 45 min :P

But as prices stay high and choice remains short, I never burn another one. I stick to good SL : if I cannot use vobblanker+dvdshrink, I use dvdfab to split.
ItalianJob
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:48 am

aristottle wrote:I think if both formats are rolled out you are going to scare the customers away. Nothing that the basic consumer detests more than spending money on a format that does not get supported because a rival came along. Remember DAT disks or digital disks.

I can imagine that dual format DVDs would catch on particularly if the price of the media comes down quickly as it did with Single layer media and CDrs before that or Vhs tapes before that.

As for blue ray vs. HD DVD......I hope the companies are not short sighted enough to bring them both out.....if the they do the customers will vote with thier wallets NOT to buy.

Remember the debates two years ago of DVD+R vs DVD-Rs and the upset customers who in the end got what they wanted......which was dual format burners.

Your forgetting something when it comes to blu ray.
PS 3. Why do you think that rumours say that Toshiba is still trying to get HD-DVD in XBOX 360 ???
Consumers will buy PS3 as a DVD audio, SUPER AUDIO CD, BLU RAY, DVD Player and game console combination. So people will have BLU RAY.
Now if they folks got alldready a player then why not buy a recorder ?
RJW
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers