Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Crazy Harry Potter Fans

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Crazy Harry Potter Fans

Postby Ian on Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:01 am

As I'm sure all of you know, the new Harry Potter book comes out tonite at midnight. Needless to say, I was a little surprised to see a huge line outside of Barnes and Noble at 8:30am.
Attachments
Harry Potter Line.jpg
Um.. it's 8:30am.. book doesn't go on sale for another 16 hours!
Harry Potter Line.jpg (65.52 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:54 am

holy crap! they're trying to compete with Starwars fans!

Ok, that's it.... all Starwars fans, we need to start lining up for the NEXT starwars theatre release.... yeah, it MAY not technically ever be made... but do you want to end up having to wait for the SECOND showing if it ever does?!?! :o

We'll show those Potter fans who is more obsessed :lol:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Boba_Fett on Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:31 pm

I still don't get why everyone gets up in arms when these kiddy books get released, ESPECIALLY when I see 20+ year old men waiting in line (had to fight through a crowd today and Waldenbooks)...
eVGA NF4 SLI mobo
Opteron 165 Dual Core 1MB cache @ 2.5ghz
2GB Mushkin DDR PC4000
2x160GB & 1x250GB 7,200RPM SATA w/NCQ
eVGA Geforce 7900 GTO 512MB PCI-e
Pioneer 111D 16x DVD burner
Onboard Sound :(
Boba_Fett
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:22 pm

Boba_Fett wrote:I still don't get why everyone gets up in arms when these kiddy books get released, ESPECIALLY when I see 20+ year old men waiting in line (had to fight through a crowd today and Waldenbooks)...

Most of the people I know who like Harry Potter are 20+ year olds :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:56 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Most of the people I know who like Harry Potter are 20+ year olds :wink:

I went to one of those midnight book deals a few years ago. I will never go again. It's worse than any Star Wars or Transformers convention I've gone to. Half the people there are zit faced dorks that truly think that they are wizards.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:02 pm

WTF!

OK, that line is just seriously way too screwed up.

Yes, I ordered myself a copy, I ordered mine from Amazon, which promises delivery of it on Saturday, the day of release. They shipped mine at least via UPS Basic, brought to the destination by UPS, delivered by the USPS. Even though I will be up at midnight anyways, I would *NOT* go to one of those in a million years.

You can see below the type of boxes their using for it. Seriously though, I don't need every UPS sorter down the line and the mail-man to know what book I'm going to be reading. The security is also ridiculous though, as you can see with the huge type on the side of the box on how not to deliver it before the 16th.

aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby LoneWolf on Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:22 pm

If I'm still up at midnight tonight (I may be, it appears to be a long night of computer work ahead, after a long week of it) I may just take a break and pop down to the local bookstore to get a copy.

I'm not freakish about it, but I do have all of them so far in hardcover, and since I was up at midnight when the last one came out (in Colorado at the time for work) I stopped by a local store and bought one. Finished it in 48 hours (I can read 100+ pages/hour if I'm interested).

I like breaking up my other reading with books like these --it adds some lightheartedness to my other reading (often political thrillers, spy novels, suspense, etc.).

LoneWolf (still currently reading Cryptonimcon by Neal Stephenson)
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:15 pm

If the big local chain has a deal on the English edition like last time (1/3 less than the German translation coming in the fall) and they're open at 7 am tomorrow, I may nip downtown and buy one. Otherwise, we'll just leave for the Alps at 8 am (as planned) with the reading material we've got.

I enjoy these books, but I can't see standing in line for one. :roll:

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby hoxlund on Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:00 am

ok seriously, seeing that picture of people in line truely makes me dissapointed in my country

who the fuck is that immature to wait in line and waste 16+ hours of there life, knowing there never getting that back to get a damn book?

just stop and think about that, 16 hours of your life intentionly wasted sitting on concrete to wait for a damn book!!!
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:44 am

Wow...just...wow...

What a bunch of morons. Exactly why I ordered it online, to avoid idiotic morons at the store.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:06 am

One of my friends actually went IN COSTUME to the book release party at midnight... but she's probably the only <20 year old fan I know, so I have less concern over that then over our Mayor Larry Cambell, who dressed up as well for the release :o

Heh... I'd like to see someone photoshop Bush as having dressed up like Harry Potter :lol:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Re: Crazy Harry Potter Fans

Postby eric93se on Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:41 am

Ian wrote:As I'm sure all of you know, the new Harry Potter book comes out tonite at midnight. Needless to say, I was a little surprised to see a huge line outside of Barnes and Noble at 8:30am.

That line of fans makes me think of the angry farmer that sprayed manure on the town bank. Makes me wanna be the guy spraying the manure on the harry potter fans :D
Benq DW-1640
ASUS 1608P2 >> Crossflashed to Pioneer 110 -> RAM+Bitsetting+removed riplock+RPC1 :D

Boost Mobile stole my minutes, then would rather loose me as a customer than give back my minutes (thieves).
eric93se
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden