Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Problem with Nero CD-DVD Speed 3.80 burns and some readers

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:06 pm

G, did you get any info from Erik about where/how the burning data (drive info, speed graph) is stored on the disc?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby MediumRare on Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:49 pm

dodecahedron wrote:G, did you get any info from Erik about where/how the burning data (drive info, speed graph) is stored on the disc?

No I didn't. It's not visible on my newer disc either. I guess this is a sufficiently intriguing puzzle to warrant an e-mail.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby ItalianJob on Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:59 pm

4.01 is the one !

dodecahedron wrote:
ItalianJob wrote:Hijacking ? No, "french" preference... Sorry, I didn't check that before posting in this international forum.

french preference from Italianjob ??? :lol:

Things are not black or white... Don't you know :lol: ?
My father is Italian and my mother french.
And by the way, "Italian Job" is an american movie starting in venice.
ItalianJob
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:55 pm

MediumRare wrote:
dodecahedron wrote:G, did you get any info from Erik about where/how the burning data (drive info, speed graph) is stored on the disc?

No I didn't. It's not visible on my newer disc either. I guess this is a sufficiently intriguing puzzle to warrant an e-mail.

Here's what Erik had to say:
The information is stored at the very end of the disc but it's not accessible as a file when an image file is burned.

That leaves us about as knowledgeable as before. The information really doesn't take up much room, so it could be that he stores it in a reserved location that is available even for a full disk. But that's speculation. :roll:

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby ItalianJob on Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 am

I replug my Toshiba and can confirm that the bug is clearly corrected in new versions.

A Maxell DVD+R 4X burned @8X WOPC ON on my BenQ 1620 with Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.10 :

Thanks.
ItalianJob
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:45 pm

well, i must say.
this is a very nifty feature (the saving of the drive+firmware that burned it). i should start using that.

MediumRare:
when you burn a test data disc with CDSpeed, the regular way (random data, not an iso/nrg file) it saves not only the drive name + firmware version, but also the write speed graph (which can be activated/deactivated with the checkbox). does it do that too with an image file?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby MediumRare on Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:51 pm

dodecahedron wrote:when you burn a test data disc with CDSpeed, the regular way (random data, not an iso/nrg file) it saves not only the drive name + firmware version, but also the write speed graph (which can be activated/deactivated with the checkbox). does it do that too with an image file?

Yes it does- that's why I like using this option. For an example, see the scans in this post, e.g. this one:

The trace of the recording speed may be a bit hard to see because it's within the PI carpet, but it's there. I blanked the label here because it's irrelevant for the discussion.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:26 pm

what are you doing here?
shoo...go away....back to the holiday feast! :lol:

I blanked the label here because it's irrelevant for the discussion.
LOL
yeah right we all know that you are running the German branch of Hoxlund Pirate Industries Inc.
really, i don't think i've ever seen anyone explain that they're blanking the label :o :)

so, any optical drives fall down your chimney tonight ?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:27 pm

back on topic.

very cool.
can you think of a downside to using CDSpeed to burn ISOs? after all, this definitely isn't the main purpose of this program.
did you compare it with other programs like Nero, DVD Decrypter?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby MediumRare on Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:40 am

dodecahedron wrote:what are you doing here?
shoo...go away....back to the holiday feast! :lol:

OK Boss, 2 days wait- that OK?
dodecahedron wrote:yeah right we all know that you are running the German branch of Hoxlund Pirate Industries Inc.

Well, I bought my burner a year and a half ago and have burned a grand total of 97 DVD's (about 1/3 of those test discs), but have performed at least 500 scans- so Hoxlund Piraten GmbH & Co. KG obviously has a different home. :lol:
dodecahedron wrote:really, i don't think i've ever seen anyone explain that they're blanking the label :o :)

I only mentioned it because it didn't have the standard "CDS_TEST_B2" label used by CD-Speed for the internally generated test data.
dodecahedron wrote:so, any optical drives fall down your chimney tonight ?

No chimney, no optical drives. :cry:
dodecahedron wrote:can you think of a downside to using CDSpeed to burn ISOs? after all, this definitely isn't the main purpose of this program.

Well, you have to create an image file (ISO or NRG) and choosing the burning speed is a bit of a hassle. Also, you don't have a log file to check if something goes wrong. I really would like to have this option integrated into Nero itself- but I don't want to distract them from fixing version 7.
dodecahedron wrote:did you compare it with other programs like Nero, DVD Decrypter?

?? dunno what you mean.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Previous

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)