Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Newegg now offering UPS Shipping!!!

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Newegg now offering UPS Shipping!!!

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:57 am

Newegg now offers UPS shipping! AWESOME!!!
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby TheWizard on Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:32 am

It's good that they are using a comparable service too: UPS 3-Day Select to match FedEx's Express Saver.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby code65536 on Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:08 am

Well, as long as they keep the FedEx option, I'll be happy. ;)

Personally, I've had pretty much the exact opposite experience of awiz; UPS costs more for comparable service, is slower, and they have mis-delivered my stuff in the past.
code65536
CD-RW Player

Postby eric93se on Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:14 am

code65536 wrote:Well, as long as they keep the FedEx option, I'll be happy. ;)

UPS costs more for comparable service, is slower, and they have mis-delivered my stuff in the past.

My experiences are the same.
Benq DW-1640
ASUS 1608P2 >> Crossflashed to Pioneer 110 -> RAM+Bitsetting+removed riplock+RPC1 :D

Boost Mobile stole my minutes, then would rather loose me as a customer than give back my minutes (thieves).
eric93se
CD-RW Player

Postby LoneWolf on Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:36 pm

code65536 wrote:Well, as long as they keep the FedEx option, I'll be happy. ;)

Personally, I've had pretty much the exact opposite experience of awiz; UPS costs more for comparable service, is slower, and they have mis-delivered my stuff in the past.

Me three. I've had far worse experiences with UPS than I have with FedEx, and I've been treated a lot more rudely by people who apparently just expect me to deal with it because they're the largest shipper. Forget that.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby wicked1 on Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:48 pm

as I have posted in the rant and raves that makes me 4. UPS has lost a few shipments of mine and misdelivered quite a few. They dont even bother to bring the package to my door just let it sit on the porch without even telling me they are here. FedEx makes me sign and is generally quicker.
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:55 pm

TheWizard wrote:It's good that they are using a comparable service too: UPS 3-Day Select to match FedEx's Express Saver.

They offer UPS Ground, apparently it's only offered for some larger products, or if you have over a certain amount of stuff in your cart.

code65536 wrote:UPS costs more for comparable service

Heh, it's funny really, becuase I've been looking on Newegg just adding random crap to my cart, and UPS seems to be cheaper all around, at least for my area.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby code65536 on Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:28 pm

aviationwiz wrote:Heh, it's funny really, becuase I've been looking on Newegg just adding random crap to my cart, and UPS seems to be cheaper all around, at least for my area.

What I meant was what I'd be charged if I go to the UPS store vs. if I went to FedEx Kinko's (this is based on my own comparative shopping findings when looking to ship stuff in 2003, 2004, and 2005).

Just go to FedEx's website and UPS' website, go to the shipping charge calculator, and see how things come out. Maybe you're right about UPS is cheaper in your area, but in every single one of my personal experience (shipping to and from North Carolina and California), FedEx came up significantly cheaper (e.g., $35 vs. $45 for shipping a monitor via ground) for the exact same package specs and shipping distances with comparable service (ground, express, whatever).
code65536
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:52 pm

code65536 wrote:Just go to FedEx's website and UPS' website, go to the shipping charge calculator, and see how things come out. Maybe you're right about UPS is cheaper in your area, but in every single one of my personal experience (shipping to and from North Carolina and California), FedEx came up significantly cheaper (e.g., $35 vs. $45 for shipping a monitor via ground) for the exact same package specs and shipping distances with comparable service (ground, express, whatever).

I have noticed this too. DHL's web site quotes are cheaper than UPS as well. Not that I'm trying to throw DHL into the equation, since this thread is more about NewEgg than shipping couriers. :)
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby lightningbaron on Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:39 pm

UPS has been "friendlier" in the sense, the guy knows where to "hide" my packages and I usually don't need to be around.

FedEx has been ahead of schedule by a day in my case. Usually, when I use FedEx Saver, I order on Monday and usually get it on Thursday, but it's been arriving on Wednesday, a day ahead of schedule.

Either one works out for me as both have been reliable.
lightningbaron
CD-RW Player

UPS

Postby texascbx on Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:46 pm

I used to work for a freight company called Con-Way and have experience with the people and history of Fed-Ex and UPS. Fed-Ex is non union and bought American Freightways a few years back, which is mostly ground freight. I was a Teamster for 9 years and will get a small retirement at 65 so I'm not anti-UPS or anti-teamster. Fed-Ex runs a lot of contractors with little or no benefits and that is how they achieve such high on-time delivery statistics. If you don't deliver it, you don't get paid. UPS is on the union scale of pay so you get my drift. Anytime I have a choice of Fed-Ex or UPS, I will pick the guy that gets paid purely by performance, and the price it costs me, not a contract. As far as which is nicer or has better people to deal with, there is none. The guys with Fed-Ex or UPS are both just people trying to do a job and get paid, it's just the UPS guys have the protection, or constraints, however you look at it, of a contract which is written in stone as to what they can do, what they can get by with not doing, and can not do. Fed-Ex is kind of like the Japanese car makers. They looked at everything good and bad in car manufacturing and tried to delete the bad. Fed-Ex runs a tight no BS ship. I sure will enjoy my Teamster negotiated retirement though.
P-4C 2.4 oc @ 3.1, Abit IS7e
Antec 430 PSU
Maxtor 300 Gig SATA 16MB
2x512 PC-3200 DDR Kingmax
Thermalright XP90, Audigy
Radeon 9800 PRO/Arctic Cooler
BenQ 1640/Liteon SHW-160P6S
texascbx
Buffer Underrun

Postby Jim on Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:01 pm

FedEx's tracking is updated more frequently in my experience and does sometimes come a day early with their FedSaver shipping. Both will leave my packages because I have a waiver on file. If I lived where I worked I would never agree to it, but I feel my neighborhood is safe (3rd safest in the nation according to recent FBI statistics). UPS always seems to deliver late in the day compared to FedEx which is variable.
Jim
CD-RW Player

Postby bill on Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:23 pm

I definitely prefer Fedex. They have better service where I live. I actually had UPS deliver three days late because they said the driver couldn't find my house. What they really did is wait for another package to arrive from another vendor so they could deliver them both the same day.
bill
CD-RW Supplier

Postby SkaarjMaster on Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:24 am

I also live in a neighborhood where it is safe to leave a package at my door. I noticed UPS just leaves it and sometimes Fedex needs a signature. Really no bad experiences with either one. When I need something fast, I'll pick the Fedex option. When I don't need something right away, it's UPS ground. I noticed the UPS ground is a little cheaper with newegg and that's probably what I'll be using most of the time now, but probably more like 60/40% and not 90/10%.

One thing that pissed me off about newegg is they finally deleted the Newegg Classic feature. :x
MSI (unnamed laptop): GS75 Stealth 95F, Pioneer BDR-XD07B
SKAARJ-LAPTOP: Asus G750JW-NH71
SKAARJMASTERDUO: WinXPSP3,C2D E8600,Gigabyte EP45-UD3P,Pioneer DVR-216D,BenQ DW1655,Asus E818A3T.
SkaarjMaster
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:23 am

If anyone is curious, Newegg does indeed use Next Day Air Saver for UPS 1DA orders.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby lightningbaron on Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:51 pm

FedEx just got one strike, I ordered an Antec P180 through PC Nation. When I opened it, I found a crack on the bottom left side and the door would not stay in place, it got damaged during shipping. This is my first incident with FedEx. Working with distributor to coordinate pick up of item, the distributor will pick up on the shipping the item back to them and will cross ship a replacement. On occasions, FedEx is one day ahead of schedule.

UPS, the driver was nice enough to put my package in a plastic bag if rain is in the forecast.

I have yet to try the UPS shipping option with newgg.com though.
lightningbaron
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden