Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Nero 6 OEM Suite 1 version?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Nero 6 OEM Suite 1 version?

Postby SkaarjMaster on Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:40 pm

Just got an OEM disc from newegg with my Lite-On SOHR-5239S CD burner and would like to know which version of Nero it is (6.x.x.x) before I install it. I can't find that information on the CD. Any ideas? Thank you.
MSI (unnamed laptop): GS75 Stealth 95F, Pioneer BDR-XD07B
SKAARJ-LAPTOP: Asus G750JW-NH71
SKAARJMASTERDUO: WinXPSP3,C2D E8600,Gigabyte EP45-UD3P,Pioneer DVR-216D,BenQ DW1655,Asus E818A3T.
SkaarjMaster
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:26 pm

It doesn't really matter- it'll be a couple of months out of date and you should upgrade to the newest version from Nero's website anyway.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby SkaarjMaster on Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:25 pm

So, no way of knowing without installing? Is it at least a 6.5.x.x version or 6.6.x.x?
SKAARJMASTERDUO: WinXPSP3,C2D E8600,Gigabyte EP45-UD3P,Pioneer DVR-216D,BenQ DW1655,Asus E818A3T.
SkaarjMaster
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:10 am

you can try looking at the installer file (setup.exe ?)
on updates downloaded from nero's site if you right-click the file and choose the Comment tab you see the version. i don't know how/if you can find out on an install CD.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Check The Volume ID

Postby Darth Laser on Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:39 pm

I have also recently obtained Nero 6 on an OEM CD. It looks like you can tell the version from the installer CD's volume ID. The volume ID of my installer CD is N-NE6608, and the installer contains Nero Express (NE) v6.6.0.8 (6608).
Darth Laser
Buffer Underrun

Postby SkaarjMaster on Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:05 am

Wow, I never knew you had to populate in that one section to get a volume ID. Mine is NE631_26, which I believe makes it Version 6.3.1.26. Is this right?
SkaarjMaster
CD-RW Player

Postby SkaarjMaster on Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:56 am

A few questions:

1. Anyone know why I'm getting this message when I burn using the Lite-On SOHR-5239S at the office even though I enabled SMART-BURN during the Data Disc setup with Nero Express 6.3.1.26?
Warning: Disabling SMART-BURN function may result in writing errors and impact on the quality of disc recorded.

2. Could it be that AVG Anti-Virus running at the same time or the 2S09 firmware may disable it just before the burn? I sometimes have McAfee running at home with no problems.

3. Do the OEM versions of Nero leave out Nero Burning ROM full version, because I don't see it in the Start/All Programs/Nero subdirectory in Windows?

Thank you.
SkaarjMaster
CD-RW Player

Postby Darth Laser on Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:42 am

Do the OEM versions of Nero leave out Nero Burning ROM full version, because I don't see it in the Start/All Programs/Nero subdirectory in Windows?

I'm afraid this is the only question of yours that I can even begin to address. My Nero OEM disk created a Nero folder with a number of sub-folders and icons in the Start menu, but doesn't seem to include the traditional "Nero Burning ROM" at all. Instead it includes a dumbed-down version called "Nero Express." That includes a button titled "Nero Burning ROM" which just sends you to the Nero website - i.e., it hits you up for an upgrade.

Your v.6.3 version may be considerably older, so things may work differently for you. You might try downloading the Major Update Package 1 - maybe it will accept the serial number that came with your OEM CD.

Nero Express seems to burn CDs and DVDs quite well, but I have to admit I find the huge array of programs included with Nero pretty confusing. I can't tell which ones I actually can run and which ones are just going to beg for money. The upgrade messages in the program and on the website seemed to indicate that I'd be able to use all or most of the programs in the suite, but in fact, I'm only licensed to use some of the programs included on the OEM CD. Nero even tried to install BackItUp as a startup program, but it displayed a message on every boot to the effect that I wasn't licensed to run it at all. The video and media-player stuff will all install fine, but complain about patent restrictions and licensing issues if I try to use them.
Darth Laser
Buffer Underrun

Postby SkaarjMaster on Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:54 am

I only installed Nero 6 and not the whole suite of programs. I know InCD has some conflicts with other programs (possibly PowerDVD5, I can't remember for sure). This one is for work, so I probably have no reason to even try to upgrade it unless I'm having problems. It seemed to burn fine, so I'm not worried. My Nero version at home is a full version and I'm able to get the Burning ROM. So, yep, it looks like the OEM version does leave it out. Thanks for the quick response!:)

Anyone else want to take a stab at the other two questions?;)
SkaarjMaster
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:48 pm

Nero Express is a simplified interface to the same burning prgram as the full Nero. Most OEM versions now limit you to the Express interface. I don't know about the other components, because I do have a full version.

When you upgrade to the latest version with a package from Nero's website, you generally upgrade the same files- independent of your version (OEM, test, or full). The features are controlled by your liscence number (which is generally automatically entered with OEM versions). So you can just install the same update package on this computer as you do for your full version at home.

I don't think a virus scanner or firmware update can affect smart-burn.

You can check the current status of Smart-Burn if you click on "options" (to the right of the chosen recorder name) in the "final Burn Settings" tab.

I don't use Express normally (don't like the hand-holding interface).

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby SkaarjMaster on Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:16 pm

Yes, I know but that's the problem. I did enable it and I still get that error message.
SkaarjMaster
CD-RW Player

Postby SkaarjMaster on Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:35 pm

Does anyone have any suspicions whether this problem (or just the error message only and not really a problem yet) I'm having is related to my system/OS setup/settings and there's nothing I can do about it or does this sound like something an uninstall/reinstall of the Nero OEM might fix? I'm thinking of trying the uninstall/reinstall, but just wanted some input before doing it. Thank you.
SkaarjMaster
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:36 pm

an uninstall/reinstall can't hurt.
if you do it i also recommend using the clean-tools from Nero's website.
i don't remember which one - there's a few. General clean tool, Nero clean tool. read on the website which one to use.
(i think you need the Clean Pack and the General Clean-Tool).

also, uninstall the drive from device manager and let Windows re-detect and reinstall it.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby SkaarjMaster on Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:02 pm

I might try that tomorrow. I don't know what the Clean Pack is, but I have General Clean Tool. Thanks.
SkaarjMaster
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:51 am

General CleanTool
http://www.nero.com/eng/General_CleanTool.html

Nero 6 CleanTool
http://www.nero.com/eng/Nero_6_CleanTool.html

Clean Pack
(Driver CleanTool and Registry Checker combined into one)
http://www.nero.com/eng/Driver_CleanToo ... ecker.html
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby SkaarjMaster on Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:15 am

While over there, I noticed upgrades to Nero 5.x.x versions are free of charge. Does this include OEM versions (I have one on my old computer at home)?
SkaarjMaster
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:26 am

SkaarjMaster wrote:While over there, I noticed upgrades to Nero 5.x.x versions are free of charge. Does this include OEM versions (I have one on my old computer at home)?

you mean updates, not upgrades.
if you're still using 5.5 you can update to the latest (5.5.10.56) just like updates of Nero 6 work. you download the file from the website and run it, it will update your nero 5.5.x.x to a 5.5.10.56.
http://ahead.de/us/download_previous.php?vpak=1
upgrade from 5.5 to 6 (6.6) is not free. costs $52.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby SkaarjMaster on Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:58 am

Updates that is.;)

Finally uninstalled/reinstalled per these directions and looks like everything is fine now. It still showed my 40X as max when I first started to set up the first burn after reinstall, but I stopped before burning and exited then got back in and it showed 52X as max burn. I enabled Smart-Burn and the only thing that it said during the burning process that was strange is that it couldn't burn onto the Philips 52X CD-R at 52X and that it was burning at 40X instead. Must be some sort of media issue or this office computer with only 480MB of RAM available (shared on-board video) on a P4 2.0 Celeron just doesn't cut it. It works and that's the important thing. Thanks for all the help.
SkaarjMaster
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:23 pm

specs are fine for 52x burning of CDs.
just defrag your HD.
if it does'nt do 52x just 40x then it's the media.

glad you got everything working fine.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby SkaarjMaster on Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:07 pm

Must be the media then, I defrag often. It's for the office, so no big deal........and I won't be burning that option anyway. But if I leave, I'm taking it with me, hehe. 8)
SkaarjMaster
CD-RW Player

Postby stix on Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:40 am

Wow, I never knew you had to populate in that one section to get a volume ID. Mine is NE631_26, which I believe makes it Version 6.3.1.26. Is this right?

If you want to update this version, I believe you can only use the updates on the Nero 6.3.1.26 page:

http://ww2.nero.com/enu/nero6_3.html
stix
stix
CD-RW Player

Postby SkaarjMaster on Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:09 pm

Just did another burn today and it gave me the same "Warning: Disabling SmartBurn...yadayadayada" message, but it burned and verified 250MB of data fine. The only thing I figure I might have to do to NOT get this message is to bring up the program and start setting the options and when I get to the screen that says "40X" as the highest speed, then close the program and start again then it should say "52X" as the highest. At this point, if I pick either 52X or 40X, I should not get this warning message and it should burn fine. Of course, it might be a while before my next office burn. I'll get back to this thread with results when that happens. Moral of this story: whether the burn works or not, sh*tty media yields sh*tty results.;)
SkaarjMaster
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:04 am

bump!
so, Skraaj, how is the 5239S drive?
how is the burn quality?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby SkaarjMaster on Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:31 am

Burn quality is fine and I was right about shutting down the program and restarting to not get that silly smart-burn message. Must be a combination of this crappy office ECS P4 Celeron2 computer and something else installed that might be causing this strange message. Well, I figured it out and it works with no message and that's good enough for an office computer.;)
SkaarjMaster
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:19 am

SkaarjMaster wrote:Burn quality is fine

can you elaborate a bit?
which media did you get good burns on?
did you do any scans you can post?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Next

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)