Home News Reviews Forums Shop

No unified standard for next generation DVDs

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

No unified standard for next generation DVDs

Postby cfitz on Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:34 am

Apparently the Blu-ray and HD-DVD camps have given up on trying to agree on a unified standard:

Japanese electronics firms abandon unifying standards for next-generation DVDs

Two groups of Japanese major electronics companies have abandoned unifying their standards for next-generation DVDs, industry sources said Tuesday.

A group led by Toshiba Corp. and the other comprising of Sony Corp. and Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., among other firms, have failed to reach agreement on the standards for their larger-capacity, next-generation DVDs.

As a result, DVD systems with two incompatible standards will coexist, like VHS and Beta systems for videotape recorders, which will inconvenience consumers.

In late February, Toshiba, which prefers the HD-DVD standard, and Sony and Matsushita, which are in favor of the Blue-Ray Disc standard, began negotiations on a single standard for their next-generation DVDs.

At one point, they agreed in principle to work out a third DVD standard by combining the advantages of both systems. However, the talks came to a standstill in mid-May after they failed to narrow their differences over expenses and the gap between Hollywood film production companies over the standards.

The group backing the HD-DVD standard that includes Sanyo Electric Co. and NEC Corp. is set to hand over devices used to transform movie films into DVDs to film producers in Hollywood in September.

Companies backing the Blue-Ray Disc standard, including Sharp Corp., have stepped up production of next-generation DVDs such as trial operations of their production lines.

Film production firms in Hollywood are also split over standards for next-generation DVDs. Warner, Paramount and Universal back the HD-DVD standard while Disney, MGM, Sony Pictures and 20th Century Fox have sided with the Blue-Ray Disc system. (Mainichi)

August 23, 2005

Link

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Ian on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:19 am

I thought they gave up months ago. :-?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby cfitz on Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:07 pm

Really? I guess that shows how much I am paying attention... :wink: I thought they were still holding out hope that they could reach an agreement. Oh well, just call me "behind the times".

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Ian on Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:23 pm

I really dunno. I don't know if today's new stories are just a rehash or if the two companies are finally giving up.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:53 pm

I was under the impression they were still trying...

Anyways, if I bother with either format at ALL, it'll be Blu-Ray. As it stands, I don't think either will be very important to me for quite some time though.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby jberry on Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:19 pm

shootin themselves in the foot....be a long time now
jberry
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:51 pm

Matsushita is on the Blue-Ray camp?
i thought they were DVD Forum (DVD-) the previous time. strange that they're on the other side now, no?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:41 pm

dodecahedron wrote:Matsushita is on the Blue-Ray camp?
i thought they were DVD Forum (DVD-) the previous time. strange that they're on the other side now, no?

They like being on the winning side I'd say :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:55 pm

the Plus is winning? i haven't heard that!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:50 pm

dodecahedron wrote:the Plus is winning? i haven't heard that!

No, Pioneer/Matsushita are in the DVD-Forum for DVD-R media, but they are with the BluRay Group for HighDefinition DVD, so they like being on the winning side of these sorts of things. I would NOT say that DVD+R is winning... especially in North America! :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:40 am

dolphinius_rex wrote: I would NOT say that DVD+R is winning... especially in North America! :wink:

According to the lastest numbers I've seen +R won slightly in North America. :o Now befor raveing that +R is going to overtake the market. Closer examination shows that the difference is caused by Dual Layer disc's and rewritables.
For single layer recordable disc's DVD-R is still the leading format in North america and still will be for a long time if DVD+R ever comes close.

So I wonder what will happen in the next months will dual layer -R retake some part again.

So in other words nothing has really changed.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby code65536 on Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:31 am

Pioneer is in the Blu-Ray camp despite being in the opposite camp as Sony in the Dash-Plus Wars. And NEC is in the HD-DVD camp despite being in the same camp as Sony in the Dash-Plus Wars. This is a double-plus-amusing industry. ;)
code65536
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:28 pm

code65536 wrote:This is a double-plus-amusing industry. ;)

and 2 dash's make a plus :lol:

- & | equal '+'

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives