Home News Reviews Forums Shop

a few noob DVD-Video questions

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

a few noob DVD-Video questions

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:13 am

1. what is the difference between ripping a DVD-Video with DVD Decrypter in File mode and just copying the files over in Windows Explorer ?
note: sizes of files extracted both these methods are the same, but the actual files differ (most of them).

2. once i have the files ripped, how can i tell which file is what - menus, scenes, extras etc.?

3. what are the VIDEO_TS.BUP, VIDEO_TS.IFO and VIDEO_TS.VOB at the beginning what's the diff from eg. VTS_01_0.BUP, VTS_01_0.IFO, VTS_01_0.VOB ? does VTS_01_0 mean title 1 scene 0 or something like that? and the VIDEO_TS.* are disc-general not specific to a particular scene ?

4. if i want to burn to video but not all of them, just some of the content (won't all fit and i don't want to shrink) and don't care about menus, can i do that in Nero? or NeroVision? how do i know which files to copy into the app? do i need to re-encode?
if i do it in NeroVision can i create a simple menu for the stuff i did copy over ?

links to super-newbie-guides that answer the above are also wlecome.

thanks in advance.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Justin42 on Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:15 am

1. DVD Decryptor does just that-- decrypts the disc. Commercially made DVDs are encrypted, if you were to just copy in Windows Explorer and burn those files it wouldn't work.

2. You can't really tell specifically-- at least not like "if you leave that VOB file out you won't see menus". You need to reauthor the disc with a program like DVDShrink, IFOEdit, etc.

The rest of your questions are probably better answered by sending you over to videohelp.com (look at the 'how to' section on the far left) and doom9.org, they have a TON of guides that should answer any question you have about this stuff! :)
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:44 pm

just use dvdshrink then output to files instead of iso

you'll see which files contain the movie parts

and you can select not to shrink if you want
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Re: a few noob DVD-Video questions

Postby Gabe on Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:32 am

dodecahedron wrote:3. what are the VIDEO_TS.BUP, VIDEO_TS.IFO and VIDEO_TS.VOB at the beginning what's the diff from eg. VTS_01_0.BUP, VTS_01_0.IFO, VTS_01_0.VOB ? does VTS_01_0 mean title 1 scene 0 or something like that? and the VIDEO_TS.* are disc-general not specific to a particular scene ?

BP = Backup-file of the IFO

IFO = Content table of the disc

VOB = movie-file (you can play it with WinDVD directly)

Video_TS = Menu

VTS = Contents the movie(s)

These files are the standard for DVD-Video. If more than one chapter exists, you don´t can it see when looking at the files, because a full DVD have max. 5 VTS-files.

If you have more than one track you can see it when looking directly at the vob-files, 9 files means 8 tracks (if no track is bigger than 1 GB), because you have a vob-file for the menu.

If you have files like VTS_01_2 you can see that Track 1 is bigger than 1GB. VTS_02_2 shows you that track 2 is bigger than one GB.

Maybe this help you, my english is not perfect at all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD#DVD-Video
WD: WD6400AAKS, WD10EALS, WD20EARS, WD10EALS
Hitachi: 7K1000.B 1 TB, 7K1000.C 1 TB, 7K2000 2TB, 7K3000 2TB
Seagate: ST2000DL003, ST31000528AS
Samsung HD204UI
LG GH-22NS50
Plextor PX 755 1.04
Benq DW 1670 1.03
Optiarc AD 7173A 1.01
Asus DRW 20B1LT 1.00
Gabe
CD-RW Player

Postby MacClipper on Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:22 pm

dodecahedron wrote:if i want to burn to video but not all of them, just some of the content (won't all fit and i don't want to shrink) and don't care about menus, can i do that in Nero?

Google for VobBlanker if you just want to remove specific content.
MacClipper
Buffer Underrun

Postby thegdog on Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:56 pm

MacClipper wrote:Google for VobBlanker if you just want to remove specific content.

Or PgcEdit, which has really developed into a great program with loads of functionality.
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers