Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Multisession confusion

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Multisession confusion

Postby goodearth on Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:58 pm

I run a Garden Center business and do most of our ads, newsletters etc for which I take a lot of digital pictures and now have lots of page layout files that are taking up hard drive space. So I bought a Benq DW1640 DVD burner primarily to use for storing all the photo and page layout files thinking that DVD's would be better thatn CD's because I'd have fewer discs to contend with.
I suppose at this point I should tell you that I have a Dell 4550 with Windows XP Professional (SP1), and I'm using Nero Express that came with the DW1640 which I upgraded to Version 6.6.0.16.
So I eagerly put in a Fuji (TY) DVD+R disc and proceed to make my first backup.I selected a multisession recording so that I could add files as needed and off I went. Before the recording actually begins I get a message stating that some DVD-ROM drives and computers not using Windows XP would not be able to read sessions 2- whatever, would I like to continue. I assume that since I'm running XP and have the latest and greatest (according to many forum posts I've read) DVD burner, I shouldn't have any problems. No such luck! After doing 3 sessions and looking at the drive contents in Windows Explorer, the only file that I see is from the first session. If I look in Nero's disc information window I see the 3 sessions and the files recorded in each session.
I couldn't find any info in Nero's "Help" files to figure out the problem.
So could someone please tell me how one does a multisession disc?
I had read somewhere that the DVD+R discs were the best choice for data recording, is that true?
The more I read on these forum pages the more I realize that I have an awful lot to learn so I'd sure appreciate some help from all of you who have obviously been there (here).
Thanks
John
goodearth
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:04 am

don't do multisession !
just burn a new disc every time. it's not that expensive.
safest thing to do. multisession (CDs) is tricky, and multisession with DVDs even more so.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby pranav81 on Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:32 am

I agree with dodecahedron.Dont use multisession,as many times you can only read the last session on the computer & to see the other sessions,or retrieve data you will have to use tool like IsoBuster.

Just burn a new CD/DVD each time,safest bet.

::Pranav::
Increasingly mathematics will demand the courage to face its implications.
pranav81
CD-RW Player

multisession confusion

Postby goodearth on Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:00 am

Thanks for your quick responses guys.
What about the question of DVD format... +R or -R?
And while I'm at it. Would there be any big advantage(s) to upgrading form Nero Express to the full "Ultra" program?
John
goodearth
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:14 am

DVD+R vs. DVD-R:
the differences between the two formats are so negligible as to be insignificant.
basically, get whatever works best with your drive and you can get for cheap.

the only caveat: for DVD-Video (not Data) on very old DVD players, DVD-R has better compatibility (according to some at least).
most likely your DVD player is reasonably recent (2 years tops) and plays all formats just fine.

as for Nero: what are you doing with your drive+software?
if all you are doing is burning data DVDs (as can be understood from your first post - data discs of digital photo files) then NeroExpress is most likely good enough for you.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:15 pm

I might have to disagree with Dode somewhat.

I agree that there should be no problem, and can be advantageous, to use DVD-R for DVD-Videos.

OTH, I will never use anything but DVD+Rs for data.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Han on Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:28 am

For multisession DVD+R is better. Just make sure you 'import' (select) the last session when you intend to add a new one.
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby goodearth on Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:53 am

Han wrote:For multisession DVD+R is better. Just make sure you 'import' (select) the last session when you intend to add a new one.

Sounds like there is a way to do the multisession DVD.
Could you elaborate a bit?
What about the issues that Dodecahedron and Pranav brought up?
If multisession is not reliable, is DVD useful for doing backup of files that are modified regularly, or is it better for archiving lots of files that won't need changing?
At present I format CD-R discs so I can drag and drop files from Windows Explorer, perhaps I should continue with this method for files that are updated frequently. What say Ye?
John
goodearth
Buffer Underrun

Postby Han on Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:24 am

Well, my answers will be short and simple. :wink:

To do a working multisession DVD±R you need fully compatible drives. I have zero issues on my Pioneer DVR-106D (writer) and Toshiba SD-M1712 (reader).

I agree that multisession is not as reliable as single closed session Disc-At-Once burn, but when you use the right combination of hardware and software, you can trust your multisession backups.

You've mentioned packet writing on CD-RW media. Well, this is the most unreliable, as packet writing software tends to do strange things with data on media. Besides that rewritable discs don't last as long as quality CD/DVD±R media.
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby goodearth on Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:02 pm

Han wrote:Well, my answers will be short and simple. :wink:

You've mentioned packet writing on CD-RW media. Well, this is the most unreliable, as packet writing software tends to do strange things with data on media. Besides that rewritable discs don't last as long as quality CD/DVD±R media.

How does one ensure "compatability?"
I am using CD-R, not RW discs.
Would using Nero's Back it up software be a better option?
Does Nero Back it up use packet writing?
John
goodearth
Buffer Underrun

Postby Han on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:57 am

goodearth wrote:How does one ensure "compatability?"

Good question. Next please... :wink:

goodearth wrote:I am using CD-R, not RW discs.

Ok, that's a little better. If they work for you, then continue to use them. I'm wondering, though, are they readable in most other computers you have access to?

goodearth wrote:Would using Nero's Back it up software be a better option? Does Nero Back it up use packet writing?

Have no idea. I'm not familiar with this program.
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby CCampbell on Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:41 pm

Nero BackItUP does not use Packet writing, it uses Track-At-Once write method, as does Nero Express and Nero Burning ROM.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby goodearth on Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:23 am

CCampbell wrote:Nero BackItUP does not use Packet writing, it uses Track-At-Once write method, as does Nero Express and Nero Burning ROM.

Hi Craig and thanks for answering the questions about Back it Up. Would you like to have a go at the multisession issues as well?

Thanks
John
goodearth
Buffer Underrun

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)