Home News Reviews Forums Shop

No audio on DVD playback

How fast is too fast?

No audio on DVD playback

Postby weetoots on Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:51 pm

Drive: Toshiba SD-R1612
I received some DVDs that this drive will not play the audio, the video is OK. Also I don't have a problem, with audio, playing other DVDs, like Grease.

The DVD is DL, Version 1, OTP, NTSC 4:3 Mpeg2 per Nero Tool

I made a backup copy w/DVD Shrink onto a Verbatim DVD+R, it also will not play the audio.

Mother BD is Abit NF-7Sv2, sound works for everything else.
I have the Cole2K media pack installed on all computer, so I have most of the codec required.

These DVDs work fine on my other computer, using the BenQ 1640, although Nero Showtime 2 has trouble, audio and video skip in and out. They play OK on WMP10, and Realplayer.

I suspect the drive.
weetoots
Buffer Underrun

Postby Han on Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:43 am

Put another drive in that computer and see if it plays both, audio and video...

Personally I avoid installing codec packs. DivX, XviD and AC3Filter suffice.
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby weetoots on Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:48 pm

Han, thanks for the reply. I was going to buy a DVD-ROM, to replace the Toshiba SD-R1612, but price wise I decided to get the BenQ 1640 instead. It gives me more options on that computer. So I ordered one from Zipzoomfly last night.

I have had trouble with the Toshiba SD-R1612 in the past, couldn't read the DVD "Blue Hawaii", it was a total waste of money.

Regards,
Al
weetoots
Buffer Underrun

Postby Justin42 on Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:45 pm

I seriously doubt it is the drive, unfortunately. The way DVD video is encoded everything is pretty entertwined in the data stream-- if you are seeing video, the drive is properly delivering the data stream to the computer. something else is NOT handling playing the audio back correctly. The fact you have copied to another disc is even more evidence it's not the drive or mis-reading problems, or the brand of drive. Toshiba makes pretty good DVD readers; not the fastest but in my experience they will read pretty much anything.

Your statement "These DVDs work fine on my other computer, using the BenQ 1640, although Nero Showtime 2 has trouble, audio and video skip in and out. They play OK on WMP10, and Realplayer." pretty much confirms there is something wrong with the mastering that Showtime chokes on, but WMP and Realplayer are more forgiving on. I wouldn't call that "working fine", but it does show the disc isn't a total waste. Does your other computer also have the codec pack installed?

I'd be curious if the audio stream is in some slightly non-standard format (like MPEG Audio) and the software you have installed simply doesn't know what do with it. I have to agree with Han, all-in-one codec packs cause MUCH more trouble than they are worth. (In my experience)
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby weetoots on Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:14 pm

Justin42 wrote: The fact you have copied to another disc is even more evidence it's not the drive or mis-reading problems, or the brand of drive.

>>I made the copy with my other computer, using the BenQ 1640.

Your statement "These DVDs work fine on my other computer, using the BenQ 1640, although Nero Showtime 2 has trouble, audio and video skip in and out. They play OK on WMP10, and Realplayer." pretty much confirms there is something wrong with the mastering that Showtime chokes on, but WMP and Realplayer are more forgiving on. I wouldn't call that "working fine", but it does show the disc isn't a total waste.

>>If is isn't going to work on the wife's computer, then "it isn't fine".

I'd be curious if the audio stream is in some slightly non-standard format (like MPEG Audio) and the software you have installed simply doesn't know what do with it. I have to agree with Han, all-in-one codec packs cause MUCH more trouble than they are worth. (In my experience)

>>What do I use to see what the audio format is?
>> What codex does the average user need?
>Thanks,
>Al
weetoots
Buffer Underrun

Postby Justin42 on Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:12 am

You shouldn't need ANY special codecs, other than DVD playback software, to play the DVD. It should install all that you need. I would say if you're using a fairly up to date PC that Divx/xvid would be all that you'd really need special (unless you're doing heavy, erm, internet video downloading :) ) but even then almost everything is moving to some MPEG-4 based format. It's not like years past when everyone had their own different favourite encoder. A few extras like Quicktime (or QT Alternative), etc... but none of that would affect DVD.

The fact that 2 different computers are both having trouble properly playing the audio has me pretty convinced it's just how the disc was made. I'm not sure of a 'free' tool to use to check the stream. TMPEGEnc/Tmpegauth (MPEG and DVD authoring tools) may let you check, check out videohelp.com for the links (not sure now).
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby weetoots on Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:15 am

Final note.
BenQ 1640 solved the problem. Something was not right with that Toshiba.
Thanks for the help.
Al
weetoots
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Drives