MAM now offering DVD+RDL media

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

MAM now offering DVD+RDL media

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:34 pm

This was just passed on to me:

> Dear,
>
> MAM-A is pleased to announce the release of the newest addition to our DVD
> line: DVD+R Dual Layer discs at affordable prices!
>
> We will be offering the media in our three most popular print surface: No
> Logo (thermal compatible), white inkjet, and white Everest. Additional
> surfaces and packaging are available on request.

I've put in my request for samples already, and had it confirmed that the media is made in Europe, and outsourced from "someone". I don't have a MID code or an answer on who the "someone" is yet.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:20 pm

Maybe TY :lol: ?

MAM-E manufactured in the past media with TY-codes.

And I don´t think that the taiwan DVD-makers like CMC, Ritek or Prodisc outsources to MAM-E.
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:23 pm

Scour wrote:Maybe TY :lol: ?

MAM-E manufactured in the past media with TY-codes.

And I don´t think that the taiwan DVD-makers like CMC, Ritek or Prodisc outsources to MAM-E.

MAM told me it was made in Europe.... but I think that might be wrong, since I don't know of any DVD+RDL manufacturers in Europe.

And Prodisc HAS been known to make OEM's for Mitsui in the past, but not since it became MAM.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:56 pm

I'd ask MAM for some but they never sent me the +R and -R samples they were going to send me. #-o
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby RJW on Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:37 am

MAM completely ignores all my e-mails these days. 8)

Wonder what code they will abuse if it really is made by them.
But I personally think that they are misinforming the public again and that these disc's are not made by MAM. But that these disc's like in Europe are just ritek dual layer disc's.Overpriced and not the best ritek dual layer disc's I have seen. If people want Ritek Dual layer media in Europe then I think Traxdata or Platinum or Samsung are more nice options. At least there honnest about who made there products and there prices are much better as the overpriced MAM-E version ! (it's something like MAM-E is twice as expensive as the rest !)

But it is possible that they bought the plasmon production technology or something else and are now also makeing dual layer media themselves.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:05 pm

RJW wrote: If people want Ritek Dual layer media in Europe then I think Traxdata or Platinum or Samsung are more nice options. At least there honnest about who made there products and there prices are much better as the overpriced MAM-E version ! (it's something like MAM-E is twice as expensive as the rest !)

Are you sure some people want Ritek-DL? Ritek DLs were the first DL after Verbatim and actually the writing-quality is with most burners not so good like it should be.

Ricoh DL (by Ritek) gives very different results on different burners.

Don´t have much info on the CMC and Prodisc (never seen in Europe), but I think they can not be more crappy than the Ritek.

Maybe it´s time for new DL-media in Europe :)
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:05 pm

Scour wrote:Are you sure some people want Ritek-DL? Ritek DLs were the first DL after Verbatim and actually the writing-quality is with most burners not so good like it should be.

Ricoh DL (by Ritek) gives very different results on different burners.

Don´t have much info on the CMC and Prodisc (never seen in Europe), but I think they can not be more crappy than the Ritek.

We don't know who's making the MAM DVD+RDL media... but they DID say it wasn't MAM, so I'm pretty sure that's true (they would SAY they made it if they did). As for Prodisc DVD+RDL, it's probably the worst DVD+RDL media that ever existed, but it's no longer made (and for good reason!). I think only one batch was made before it was discontinued.

I don't know how CMC and Philips code DVD+RDL performs unfortunately... it's hard to find in Canada.

I find Ritek and Ricoh have very similar quality burns when the drive properly supports them... but I've noticed drives that support one do not often support the other, and neither one has particularily great quality.

Verbatim's DVD+RDL is still the only DVD+RDL I acknowledge as being good quality DVD+RDL media... but like I said, I haven't tried CMC or Philips code media yet.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:03 pm

Scour wrote:Don´t have much info on the CMC and Prodisc (never seen in Europe), but I think they can not be more crappy than the Ritek.

Maybe you forget.
Infomedia. (Very rare here in europe.Support sucks)
Philips (CMC Made but MID and specs are based from philips)
FUJI (To new to know- Probally prodisc I assume still this is very vague)
Plasmon -> which has now technology availble meaning that we probally soon have smaller european manufacturers takeing the risk.

Also Ritek's new 8x Dual Layer +R disc did get a provisional approval.

And yes there are people waiteing for ritek dual layer thanks to the low price.(Ritek costs half of verbatim don't forget that and some people like to shop cheap) I personally recommend only Dual Layer Verbatim/Mitsubishi media at this time or if you really now that your drive supports it the ricoh media.

Based on what I heard prodisc was more crappy as Ritek
CMC is a little bit better.(Philips version better as normal CMC version.)
But Philips dual layer with Philips code still is worse compared to MKM.
(Also 8x version of Ricoh is available in germanny (alternate I think has it.)
Really rateing from available media in Europe goes like this.
MKM - > Large gap
-> RICOH ->PHilips->CMC->RITEK-> large gap.
Prodisc.

I haven't seen enough data for infomedia to make a statement.
Disc's burned looked ok but support is like with all infomedia quite bad.
For prodisc I haven't seen any good burns so far.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:30 pm

RJW wrote:Maybe you forget.
Infomedia. (Very rare here in europe.Support sucks)
Philips (CMC Made but MID and specs are based from philips)
FUJI (To new to know- Probally prodisc I assume still this is very vague)
Plasmon -> which has now technology availble meaning that we probally soon have smaller european manufacturers takeing the risk.

Also Ritek's new 8x Dual Layer +R disc did get a provisional approval.

And yes there are people waiteing for ritek dual layer thanks to the low price.(Ritek costs half of verbatim don't forget that and some people like to shop cheap) I personally recommend only Dual Layer Verbatim/Mitsubishi media at this time or if you really now that your drive supports it the ricoh media.

Based on what I heard prodisc was more crappy as Ritek
CMC is a little bit better.(Philips version better as normal CMC version.)
But Philips dual layer with Philips code still is worse compared to MKM.
(Also 8x version of Ricoh is available in germanny (alternate I think has it.)
Really rateing from available media in Europe goes like this.
MKM - > Large gap
-> RICOH ->PHilips->CMC->RITEK-> large gap.
Prodisc.

Never seen Infomedia-DL :o

Nierle has CMC, I know

Fuji? Not seen, same for Plasmon

Yes, the people wait for cheap DL, but this people maybe don´t know that quality and non-quality-media exists ;)

The question is, how good are the CMC and Prodisc-DL are supported by the writer? Same for the Ricoh 8x, are this media is supported by 2,4x, 4x and 6x-DL-writer?

This problem you will not have with Verbatim-DL.

Media Markt have 5-Slimcases Verbatim +R DL for ca. 15 €, I think it´s a good price.

@dolphinius_rex

But how was Prodisc-DL supported? Rare media, bad support, I guess.

Ritek was supported well, it´s from one of the biggest manufacturers and avaible long time, but it´s not a match for MCC/MKM.

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:57 am

FUJI and plasmon codes are 8x +R dual layer codes.
DVD identifier supports these but so far I haven't heard of that hey have appeared to the public.

Philips support is probally at the same level as RICOH - It's in most firmwares but results are rangeing from bad to ok.
Prodisc and infomedia are not that much supported.
CMC has some firmware support and results so far show that in most cases it can burn decent.

Yeah I know that some Mediamarkt stores in Germanny are quite cheap with verbatim.
The cheapest I can find here in the netherlands is 6 euro's a piece ! (thanks to our screwed levy system. (And now they also want to add a levy on mp3-players and harddrive recorders. Guess they really want us to do just copy everything we can get our hands on because we allready are paying rights for it and paying triple is not something people like. :D )

Ohh and one thing ritek isn't supported that well. There in the firmwares yes but real finetuneing was hardly done.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:38 am

RJW wrote:
Ohh and one thing ritek isn't supported that well. There in the firmwares yes but real finetuneing was hardly done.

I know that Pioneer likes to support Japan-media and don´t like Taiwan-media so much.

Or did Verbatim pay for the good support and Ritek doesn´t do the same :wink:

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby TCAS on Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:08 pm

I hope you are not trying to say the machine (DVD) Writer) is so intelligent to recognized the disk is being made in Japan or Taiwan. If you mean because the quality of disk made in Japan is being burned with better result that the one made in Taiwan then that is OK.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:16 pm

TCAS wrote:I hope you are not trying to say the machine (DVD) Writer) is so intelligent to recognized the disk is being made in Japan or Taiwan. .

No 8)

I meant the japan-manufacturers like Verbatim (although the most media is made in Taiwan and India), Maxell and TY are better support than media with codes from Ritek etc.

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:32 pm

Well incase of Verbatim the media is the standard were the whole dual layer thingie is based on. So you better make sure that it supports it befor calling a drive dual layer +R burner.
Now Mitsubishi didn't pay. It was more the other way arround.
Remember Lite On comments. :wink:
Incase of Ritek costs are needed incase of some drive manufacturers.

Like I said earlier incase of Ritek D01 blame both parties. Ritek has made some mistakes and so did the drive manufacturers.

Now incase of Ritek it looks like there trying to fix ther stuff for there 8x Dual Layer +R media.
Now let's hope that also the drive manufacuters give it a fair change and support.
That way we might get decent and cheap dual layer disc's.

Also even if you don't like Riteks quality. You should still be happy with there products being on the market. Without there products prices would be much higher for dual layer disc's !! (There the largest Dual Layer manufacturer and the bigest player in the pricewar of this media.)
For that alone I would like that they keep produceing and continue trying to improve or do you still want to pay 10 euro a disc for MKM made media ?
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:13 pm

RJW wrote:Also even if you don't like Riteks quality. You should still be happy with there products being on the market. Without there products prices would be much higher for dual layer disc's !! (There the largest Dual Layer manufacturer and the bigest player in the pricewar of this media.)
For that alone I would like that they keep produceing and continue trying to improve or do you still want to pay 10 euro a disc for MKM made media ?

Who want to pay more ;) ?

BTW, I never bought a DL-media

Yes, I know that more competitors means better prices, but on the other hand means low prices = low quality, because every manufacturer want to lower the costs, this can decrease the quality.

And I hope that more DL-media from CMC etc. will be avaible as alternative to Ritek.

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers