Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Nero 6 replacement of files during multisession backup

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Postby Qx57ZtxZcAG3 on Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:45 pm

I am using Nero-6, and I am wanting to backup the same directory contents to different multisession directories.

For example, on the first day I do a multisession backup of the following from hard disk to DVD:

Dir1\file1 -->Test1\Dir1\file1

The next day I want to do a similar backup the same contents to a new directory Test2 on the same DVD:

Dir1\file1 --> Test2\Dir1\file1

What I find is that Test2\Dir1\file1 is created as expected, but theTest1\Dir1\file1 is also replaced with the new version of Dir1\file1.

When Nero starts it examines the existing DVD and determines that because Dir1\file1 has changed it needs to update Test1\Dir1\file1, which I have no control over. I only wanted the new Test2\Dir1\file1 to be written to the DVD.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanx for any suggestions!
Qx57ZtxZcAG3
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:35 am

hi Qx57ZtxZcAG3, welcome to CDRLabs :)

i'm definitely no expert on Multisession (never use the damn thing...too many problems, wierd/unexpected behaviour).
but maybe what you want is, when you put the disc in the drive and start a new compilation, in the Compilation Properties windwow, Multisession tab, of course select Continue Multisession disc and in the Options make sure that Replace files in compilation is not checked.

however i'm not sure that will get you what you want. what this might do is make the old files unavailable and only the files available, not what you want.
you might be able to get around this is if you rename the folder before you burn it. for instance, rename Dir1 to 2006_01_11_Dir1, burn it with multisession and then rename it back to Dir1. make sure the Options has Remove deleted files from compilation unchecked. so that when you burn 2006_01_12_Dir1 to the multisession disc, 2006_01_11_Dir1 won't disappear from it (after all, when you burn 2006_01_12_Dir1, the 2006_01_11_Dir1 isn't on the HD anymore).
maybe you should simply uncheck Refresh Compilation when importing session, but i'm not sure what that will do.

try it out and let me know, i'm curious as to how it behaves with the various settings.

search the forum, there was some discussion about Multisession and how to use it a while back.
Last edited by dodecahedron on Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:51 am

search the forum for 'multisession'.

here's one link:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15422
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Qx57ZtxZcAG3 on Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:47 am

Thanks for the reply(s)!

I have really had excellent success with multisession recording. If I change the source directory name to be unique, then I have never had a problem.

This is essentially one of the recommendations given in the thread http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15422 that you mentioned. However, it is a pain in the neck to do it every time.

I have Nero Express 6.6.0.18, and I see no other way of starting it other than in the Wizard. I have searched the NG for "multisession" as you suggested, and see the suggestion of how NOT to use the wizard:

"select the drive you want to use. either the pull-down menu in the menubar, or click the drive selection button (right next to that pull-down menu), or Recorder -> Choose recorder, or Control-R. that there".

I do not see any of the above options available. Should I be able to do that with 6.6.0.18?

Thanx!
Qx57ZtxZcAG3
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:21 pm

i don't understand: are you using Nero Burning ROM or Nero Express?
if you use Nero Express i don't think you have any control over it, i think it automatically burns multisession.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Qx57ZtxZcAG3 on Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:53 pm

I am actually using Nero Express. It does allow an option for multisession, but what I don't have is an option to inhibit merging of files from source to DVD. It does that when it first loads the DVD, and I can't seem to get around it.

My explanation in my prior post was incorrect. What I am forced to do is to rename the source directory before loading the DVD. Then I can copy the renamed directory to the DVD without files being merged into previously copied directories.

The problem with that is I have to modify the source directories, which is what is painful.

Oh Well - guess I get another burning software unless someone can suggest otherwise.

Thanks again.
Qx57ZtxZcAG3
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:57 am

Nero Express does not allow this. Nero Express is the GUI interface for those who are 'beginners' and are only doing basic operations. For more control you will need to use Nero Burning ROM.

In Nero Burning ROM, it will aslo automatically add the 'new file and folders' found in the directories you normally backup.

But once they have been added, you can create a new Folder within Nero and then manually drag and drop the added files to the new folder you created.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)