Home News Reviews Forums Shop

blu ray&hddvd camps against next generation combo player

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

blu ray&hddvd camps against next generation combo player

Postby RJW on Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:39 am

Probally interesting enough of the front page.

http://news.com.com/A+DVD+combo+Dont+ho ... 24875.html
RJW
CD-RW Player

Re: blu ray&hddvd camps against next generation combo pl

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:36 pm

RJW wrote:Probally interesting enough of the front page.

http://news.com.com/A+DVD+combo+Dont+ho ... 24875.html

Flash already posted a link to a similar article a couple days ago:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21039

But yeah, it probably does warrent being put on the front page!
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Re: blu ray&hddvd camps against next generation combo pl

Postby Ian on Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:16 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:But yeah, it probably does warrent being put on the front page!

Done. Anyone know which format has that clause in there about no dual format drives?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:19 pm

i think it can be understood that both.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby RJW on Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:38 pm

Some other info suggest both and that it mainly are Toshiba and Sony who are responsible for it.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:09 pm

Well just one more reason to not be a early adopter. They should realise they are shooting both camps in the foot. But I'm sure one wants to kill the other rather then playing nice together. Dual SACD/DVD audio players at reasonable prices are now a reality and I think Sony was dead set against allowing it.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby vinnie97 on Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:30 am

Sony makes a habit of shooting themselves in the foot (Betamax, MD and forced usage of ATRAC even in the face of mp3's gained ground and DRM most recently) ...and I think that's one reason why an amputation is overdue (thousands of jobs soon to be cut).
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:06 pm

Yeah, Sony has flopped on a few media formats... but don't forget that Sony has also been a huge key figure in bringing about CD-R, and later DVD-R/DVD+R technology.

I'm just saying, they may not always get it right, but when they do, it's VERY right! (CD-Rs especially!).

Also, Sony's efforts on Betamax tape gave them a HUGE head start in manufacturing professional tape stock video products for TV and movie productions... Sony owns the patents on several major formats of tape stock using in that industry, and wouldn't have gotten there first, and done such an effective job if it weren't for the whole Betamax thing.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:04 pm

No one can dispute that Sony has greatly contributed to the advance of optical storage technology.
I've also pointed this out in other Sony flame discussions.

That being said, a combo player would definitely be a highly attractive device for consumers and it is just plain sad that this has been prevented from the get-go.

Speaking of Sony proprietary media... I really can't stand Sony "memory stick", Sony UMD and other proprietary "exclusive" price gauging Sony formats... :evil:

Cheers to Samsung for trying to be innovative...
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:46 am

Wesociety wrote:No one can dispute that Sony has greatly contributed to the advance of optical storage technology.
I've also pointed this out in other Sony flame discussions.

That being said, a combo player would definitely be a highly attractive device for consumers and it is just plain sad that this has been prevented from the get-go.

Speaking of Sony proprietary media... I really can't stand Sony "memory stick", Sony UMD and other proprietary "exclusive" price gauging Sony formats... :evil:

Cheers to Samsung for trying to be innovative...

Well, I'm not keen on UMD myself... but for some really WEIRD reason, it's becoming quite successful (or more successful then reasonably expected!). I seriously don't understand it.

Regarding a combined HDDVD and BluRay player/recorder, I think I understand where both camps are coming from. Allowing for a combined player is like saying that both formats will co-exist like DVD-R and DVD+R... I would still like to hope that isn't going to happen. I'd *LIKE* to see a repeat of Betamax vs. VHS, with HDDVD following in Betamax's footsteps! :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives