Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Freedom of speech once again takes a hit in the USA

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Freedom of speech once again takes a hit in the USA

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:38 pm

http://news.com.com/Create%20an%20e-ann ... 22491.html

It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity.

In other words, it's OK to flame someone on a mailing list or in a blog as long as you do it under your real name. Thank Congress for small favors, I guess.

Makes me glad I don't live in the US. I have no idea how they'll even enforce this sort of thing though.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:04 pm

I guess everyone on this forum will start having to use their real names.

Oh yeah.. my name isn't really Ian. It's Kareem O. Weet.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:56 pm

Ian wrote:I guess everyone on this forum will start having to use their real names.

Oh yeah.. my name isn't really Ian. It's Kareem O. Weet.

I'll just have my name legally changed to include Digital Dolphin somewhere :P
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:02 pm

my name isn't Lance its... ohh yeah its Lance

sorry thats the best joke i have
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:22 am

The law will never be enforced. Legally, it couldn't be, unless the flaming is directly written for the government, and even then it will be annulled. Reason being: freedom of speech only applies to individuals against government representatives. For example, if you make fun of a cop to his face, he couldn't take action because you have freedom of speech and the cop is a representative of the government. If you make fun of some random guy on the street, though, he could kick your ass. Although, he could be brought up on assault charges, you can't plead that you were exercising freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech was a law enacted long before this new Bush thing, so the prior would take precedence. In other words, if you go to court after being charged with the new Bush law, then your case will be dismissed. You don't even need a lawyer to represent you, just say, "Your honor, Freedom of Speech was enacted long before President Bush's law, therefore, with all due respect, I ask for a dismissal and Mr. Bush can suck my balls. Thank you."
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:31 am

TheWizard wrote:therefore, with all due respect, I ask for a dismissal and Mr. Bush can suck my balls. Thank you."

That last part would land you in contempt of court... at least in Canada it would. I don't know as much about USA'er judges.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:03 am

OK, so, minus the "suck my balls" part. My defense would be impregnable! :)
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:06 am

TheWizard wrote:The law will never be enforced. Legally, it couldn't be, unless the flaming is directly written for the government, and even then it will be annulled. Reason being: freedom of speech only applies to individuals against government representatives.

Yeah, I don't think many people understand the whole freedom of speech thing.. especially those outside of North America. I've had a number of people throw the "freedom of speech" excuse at me here in the forum. They don't realize that it doesn't apply here. Even then, it doesn't give them the right to be an ass. :roll:
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby eliminator on Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:16 am

My name is TeKanawa, and I like opera singing... :P
Wake up ATI :-)
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden